Is Alt Smokescreen still on your shelves?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Sonscreen, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Sonscreen

Sonscreen Casual TF collector<br><b><font color=#FF0000>aksm TFW2005 Supporter

:peoples:  I don’t mean the two packs of Alt Smokescreen & Sideswipe that we saw last year. Just Smokescreen. There are at least two sightings of Alt Smokscreen coming back on the shelves here at two different TRUs. They have them priced at 19.99 as well. Did TRU have a massive stash somewhere?

2. e3nine

e3nine I have a large MISB collection.

News Credits:
    TRU is known to break the 2 packs to fill shelves.

I last saw him in September as the BOGO with Sideswipe.

3. Sonscreen

That’s another annoying problem. They didn’t sell well the first time around, that’s why they’re in a bonus pack TRU!!!

4. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    I haven't seen them here since the two packs... I have no idea where all of those packs went either... We had quite a few at each TRU but they were all gone in a reasonable amount of time...

5. Dragstrip85

Dragstrip85 Well-Known Member

Old school is back! :D  I think Hasbro ought to make commercials for Alternators... it can sell!

6. Sonscreen

I don't have anything against older Alternators. I just hope they don't crowd the newer guys like Optimus and Mirage. :( 

7. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    Gordman's around here still have them. And the last time I went to a Wal-Mart about thirty minutes from where I live they still had a rather beat up looking Smokescreen. All these places still have them at full price.

8. Dragstrip85

Dragstrip85 Well-Known Member

You're right. Kinda like the new Alt bubbles were crowded by Ravage, Shockblast, Wheeljack, Decepticharge and Windchargers the last time we met up

But if TRU doesn't sell most of the Smokescreens, then bring down the price to um... $7.98? :D 

What's the reason for Smokescreen not selling well first time 'round? Is it because the car mode is not too realistic? (...I mean, it seems so in a way, since it's a rally/race car and not a car most people sport on the streets.)

9. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

Man, if they were $10 or less, I might pick up a few to customize....or smash....could be fun either way....

10. TenScaryMonkeys

TenScaryMonkeys Can You Believe How Great These Pants Look?

On the contrary, I think he sold VERY well. So well, in fact, that the stores re-ordered more than they could comfortably move, under the assumption that the next few orders would continue to move just as quickly.

It was a month or two here before you could find him on the shelves, and then the re-orders were the shelf warmers. The folks who wanted one eventually got one, supply outstripped demand, and the wheels of commerce moved on. Had he sold poorly, I imagine we wouldn't have seen the line continue to the extent that it has.

11. flux convoy

flux convoy RIP Botcon.

Ebay:
    i almost wish they were on shelves here. i bought one as soon i saw him with christmas money from my grandfather who passed away that year. so i cherish mine since it was the last thing i got as a gift from him. i'd like to have another to fiddle with and not be worried about breaking.

12. Sonscreen

Like TenScaryMonkeys said Smoky sold really well at first. I still remember when he first came out people that weren't even into Transformers were amazed. I guess the novelty factor wore off after awhile.

Man, I still remember the feeling I got when I first opened mine. It was awesome. Ironically, Times Square TRU was the place where I got Alt Smoky and at 21.99 to boot. :redface2: 

13. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    I might see one at KB now and again but tha's it.

14. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I saw one on a shelf clearanced for $7. Should've bought it. I wanted to, but didn't have time to go back for it. It's too far a drive outta the way to make a special trip.

15. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

there are NO alts on my walmart shelves. KB has a single skids however.

16. Doctor Doom

Doctor Doom Doom is best pony Veteran

Woah!

He's been MIA in my parts for over a year.

17. ChErikS

ChErikS Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I went in to a local TRU last night and they had at least 6 there and they were not there previously. The new bubble packaging is a completely new skn for TRU and I think this is the last of what's in our distribution centers flushing out to the stores.

18. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

Kmart had the some of the one in the original blue pack up until this past Christmas. Now they don't have any Alts.

19. freezowave

freezowave Well-Known Member

I haven't seen one in my neck of the woods for a long while. Once the BOGO packs dried up they were all gone. For a while there were returned TRU BOGO's at my Target, but they sold pretty quickly.

As far as for the surplus of him I think a lot of t has to do with all of the solid case packs of him that went out. becasue of this he is probably the most widely produced Alt to date, and I am actually surprised that they all did clear out without an abundance of dirt cheap clearances (ala $9 Unicrons). I know that anytime I see Alt's for $14 or less I buy them becasuse you can never have to many, and once the line goes the way of the dodo and dries up people are going to want and go back and get fill holes. Afterall IMO Alt's are the best TFormers of all time.