Is AFA overrated?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by General Magnus, Oct 22, 2012.

1. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Pretty much what the title question says. Is it worth in the long run to get a toy AFA graded?

2. UltimusPrime

UltimusPrime Banned

News Credits:
    Yes

3. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    It depends on the toy, depends on how long the "long run" is. There's a lot of AFA haters here that will disregard logic and reasonable discussion and just say that anything they do is overrated, but if you look at the difference in prices between MISB and graded items, some of them benefit from grading.

Don't forget that AFA isn't the only option for grading either.

4. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:
    *like button*

It has benefits and disbenefits.

The trick is to use it in a way that makes the most for you.

5. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Here we go again :lolol 

6. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    You pay people money to send them a packaged toy to put said packaged toy into a larger package and rate the condition of the original packaging, thereby assigning the packaged toy an artificial value.

7. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Anything current like Prime toys? No.

A sealed G1 figure? Absolutely.

8. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    I dislike the search function which helps me find the thousands of AFA-bashing threads like this, so thanks for making another!

9. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:
    For a second there i was worried we might have a constructive AFA discussion on our hands.

Thankfully not.

10. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    To have it grade, yea. Because if you eventually sell the item, it will raise the price just because it's been grade

11. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    "Constructive", "AFA" and "discussion" shall never fit together in a sentence in these forums!

Unless you add an "un" somewhere. I'm a particular fan of undiscussions myself.

12. 2punish&enslave

2punish&enslave Starscream's Brigade

Ebay:
    I don't own any AFA graded figs due to cost but that doesn't mean that I don't want to. I'm fine with AFA. The only things that bugs me are when I see huge markups for figures that get sub-80 ratings and the fact that almost everything seems to be an 80 or 85.

13. AnAutobot1985

AnAutobot1985 Well-Known Member

MAYBE if its something like a minty case fresh original G1...other than that its fucking stupid. I mean really...who cares?

PLUS a big point in even what is sealed and graded...it could have a QC issue and you'd never know it. :lol 

14. DethPike

DethPike Master of Sinanju

Ebay:
    I don't like AFA as far as grading. Not that they don't do a good job, but for me it's more about protecting the toy. For instance, if I had a a really rare whatever, let's say mint sealed original G1 Dino Cassettes. I have the KOs that I can display and play with - so those sealed "holy grail" ones, I'd have AFA'd - not for rating and value, but just to insure that they STAYED in that condition and were protected. So I like them for how that acrylic can protect a really rare piece, but I generally wouldn't go by AFA as far as value. It's an acrylic case. That's it. So, if I send them a sealed Fort Max that's worth like $1500 let's say - why when I get it back is it worth MORE than $1500 + cost of an acrylic case? That never made sense to me. Same with CGC and comics - how is one comic worth $100 but that same comic slabbed is worth $1000? B.S. if you ask me.

15. SurlyJ

SurlyJ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I am no big fan of grading. However I am considering getting a comic or two graded. No toys though. Maybe if I come across a pristine old rare toy I might consider it, but I don't see that happening except by dumb luck as I'm not about to spend money on a boxed old toy. When I buy old toys I buy loose.

16. combaticon164

combaticon164 Warlord of Floriduh

Its a niche market for people who want amazing almost prestine boxed/figures. I am not going to knock it. Its just another facet that makes our hobby diverse.

17. igniz1984

igniz1984 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Biggest waste of money ever.

18. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    Yeah, I wish they'd sell their acrylic cases for a reasonable price. I mean you're talking almost $30 for something to fit an Autobot car and $25 plus for anything not on a POTF2-sized backer card. That's the no-frills-and-wait-two-weeks option before shipping too! I've got a ton of stuff that's worth some money but not enough to justify the cost per case. A complete set of 2006 Classics would run around $700 at the low end.

I really wonder how much inventory they sit on towards the lower end of the value scale like Batman Animated or open NES cartidges.

19. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    My knowledge of the subject is limited, but I think there's some benefit to having a figure valued and preserved using some standard by a reputable company. That said, I think there are a lot of variables that can undermine the process:

1. Figure integrity. What happens when that sealed MISB toy has some critical flaw or QC problem that cannot be perceived in package: Schrodinger's toy. What good is pristine packaging when the figure is compromised? Does AFA address this?

2. Preservation. Is it actually possible to adequately protect a figure from, i.e., yellowing and discoloring? Are AFA's preservation methods significantly better than simply encasing a figure in a acrylic box?

3. Immediate benefit. I think it's absolutely silly to see a not-uncommon figure selling for some huge markup just because of the AFA rating. My impression is that the AFA rating is more of an investment mechanism, so that the figure can absolutely claim whatever value it will accrue in future. To actually pay the theoretical future price at the present seems to defeat the purpose of the investment.

20. SurlyJ

SurlyJ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    One more thought I had, which would more only apply to loose figures,but still has some merit, is identification. With so many Kos and Reissues, having a standardized company stamp a figure with the year, make, model and everything, thus guaranteeing to a buyer that it is authentic, has some value.