Is a Sunstorm to Skywarp repaint feasable?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by plastic therapy, Jan 21, 2017.

1. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Banned

So I have a Hasbro MP Sunstorm and I don't have an MP Skywarp.

20170120_213422.png
    So I got to looking on Reprolabels site and they have a sticker set for MP Skywarp. Screenshot_20170120-212807.png

Is this a full set or just extras for an already deco'd Skywarp? And has anyone ever done this repaint? What is the best paint to stick to Hasbro plastic?

Or is this just a dumb idea and should I sell this to reinvest in a Skywarp?

2. Lord Dcast

Lord Dcast Dr Lockdown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Sell it and get a Skywarp. There's no point. Even if you can't afford a Hasbro MP one, there are tonnes of KOs on the market like the Yes Model and KBB versions.

Sorry to seem like such a downer, but it'll save both time and money. How much will you spend on paint that will chip off during transformation anyway?

• Like Like x 1
  3. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Banned

Good point about paint chipping. I used to use a really great black primer for pinchwelds before using urethane to fasten in a windshield. I'm quite certain that would be a great basecoat that wouldn't chip, as it seems to be nearly impossible to get out/off of a dashboard. I learned that the hard way.

So if any paint did chip off of that, the basecoat/primer will have essentially dyed the plastic black and wouldn't be too noticeable.

But if I did just sell this guy, is there much of a market for them? I'd probably take a loss, but if it wasn't too much of a loss, say 30% I could probably call that the best option

4. Lord Dcast

Lord Dcast Dr Lockdown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Still not worth it. You'd be saving yourself time and money by maybe trading Sunstorm for a Thundercracker, or as I said, get a KO.

I can link you to a good KO site. The Seekers are basically the same, if not better, than the originals.

But if you don't find it morally okay then I understand.

5. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Banned

Lol. Morally, I don't care if it's a ko of a ko. I just ordered a KBB Thundercracker. It had some good reviews and it was cheap

6. Lord Dcast

Lord Dcast Dr Lockdown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Got the same one. Totally worth it. Get the Skywarp too. Better than painting Sunstorm up.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Death333

Death333 aliases: Dx3, Dr. Whiffington, Hellscr333m

News Credits:
    I've got a spare Hasbro Skywarp and I'd be willing to do a straight trade for Sunstorm. PM me if you're interested.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Creative General Discussion is your "think tank" for advice, so here we are.

• Like Like x 1
  9. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Banned

Hmm that's an interesting offer. Let me think on that. I guess it comes down to shipping cost vs ko cost. I'm in Canada. So it wouldn't be cheap to ship

10. Death333

Death333 aliases: Dx3, Dr. Whiffington, Hellscr333m

News Credits:
    Cool. Just LMK

11. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I also got the KBB Cracker 'cuz I love the deep blue, it came with cornation gear, and it was significantly cheaper than the YM. I love it! Having said that, most accounts are that YM is better quality and is closer to the MP11 mold while KBB is based on the IGear version of the seekers. KBB has been reported to have a few problems though mine is holding together just fine so far through half a dozen transformations. KBB also has the back flap that sticks up way too high and the really tight fit for the head during Transformation.

Has Hasbro done a MP11SW release yet or is that the Walmart version based on the MP3 mold? I've still got my Walmart Skywarp and it's nice enough with the hip kibble to leg mod but it still pales in comparison to the MP11 mold.

• Like Like x 1
  12. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Banned

I've seen breakage on some back parts with the kbb. But I'm really gentle with transformation so it doesn't worry me. I basically buy them, transform it to robot mode and it stays that way

13. Lord Dcast

Lord Dcast Dr Lockdown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Mine's fine after at least fifty so its all good. Most of the QC stuff's on the Thrust version anyway.

Yes Model has better QC, but KBB makes updated to the figure and it holds together better. It's six of one half a dozen of the other.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Decepticon13

Decepticon13 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I had KBB Starscream and now own every Yes Model. Yes model is better in virtually every way. KBB doesn't have any updates that Yes model doesn't have as well except for the diecast parts in the legs. Yes model versions hold together great. ;) 

15. Lord Dcast

Lord Dcast Dr Lockdown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Not exactly. KBB also has the cape a crown, and several of the tabs have also been extended to fit a lot better (particularly in the torso).

16. Decepticon13

Decepticon13 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Accessories don't make the figure hold together better, lol. :D  But they're cool! That aside, Yes model also has an extended tab in the torso lock. Pretty much same improvements. The only thing KBB has on Yes IMHO is accessories (for original 3 seekers anyway) and deco- IF you want toy instead of toon. Otherwise Yes wins with better QC and being actual MP-11 ko rather than MP-11/Igear hybrid. But can't really lose! ;) 

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017