Is 3p MP being phased out for legends?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Transmario, Apr 20, 2023.

1. Barebot

Barebot Well-Known Member

@Hobart Paving just spat out his tea.

2. nobody1898

nobody1898 Well-Known Member

I don’t think MP is a scale, I think it requires the figure to be fateful to a media source and be in line with the scale of other MPs from that source.

I don’t think of a specific scale for CHUG, I’d say they are just stylized reinterpretations of characters

3. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

The Damned Flatlands. (I need mountains!)
    I suppose we just have a markedly different perspective, because I haven’t seen the “massive increase” in Hasbro quality. Sure, it’s better than CW, but when I think of good CHUG, the T30 Generations and Henkei toys come to mind. I feel that the character offerings have expanded, but the quality is mediocre and at times outright poor. There are exceptions, and I own a small handful since Siege, but for the most part I find modern Hasbro stuff hugely disappointing. They can’t simply add ankle tilt and double-jointed limbs and call it a great figure. Highly-articulated junk is still junk, IMO.

Granted, this is only my opinion. The official CHUG stuff seems to satisfy a lot of people, but if that’s all that was available, I would likely not collect Transformers toys at all. 3P is what keeps me interested in this hobby.

• Like Like x 4
  4. djtotalcommander

djtotalcommander Well-Known Member

Legends made me want to collect TF's, before that I never thought buying a single piece. IMO they look better and more toon accurate than MP, I can display them in a much smaller space, and not that expensive too. Keep it up, now I need almost all G1 characters in legends size.

• Like Like x 5
  5. WNDCHRGR

WNDCHRGR TFW2005 Supporter

I've heard this said before (usually by hastak only/ 3p hater types, not that you're that) but seems to me there's a little bit of revisionist history going on here. While it's totally subjective what your personal opinion is on this figure or that one, saying 3p abandoned chug due to the current high quality of official CHUG is more of an assessment /estimation / theory on why something happened, therefore debatable. I can speak on this, because this is pretty much the point at which I jumped on and chugs were nowhere near the level they are today. Hell, the 3p change-over was way before even the Combiner Wars chugs years and those characters are right now getting redone (stunticons so far). I would say Legacy WFC (not video game) was the turning point or more like the last leveling up, but at the time Scoria was put up for pre-order with silhouette teasers of Soar and Phoenix people were debating why modern chugs aren't as good as the "classic"s line (the C in chug, for those who don't know). The first signs of a step in the right direction is when I noticed: " you know, It's been awhile since I got a chug with a loose limb". It use to be a challenge to stand some of them up.

For better or worse, the 3p mp market most definitely killed the 3p chug. Improvements on chug came way later, I don't even know if they're the last nail in the coffin more like like the last shovels of dirt on a casket that's already buried. One might argue that it would have happened if it continued till more recent times, maybe they're right, but that's a what if and not a what happened.

For better or worse, the 3p mp market most definitely killed the 3p chug and some say for worst. It was a very imaginative era, with aesthetic reinterpretations of characters seem to be based more on style rather than bean counting and interesting concepts like reimagining the insecticons as ninjas or reflector as an assault team. Even companies seem to resist, fp disapeared and make toys (who actually where very successful at MPs) seem to keep wanting to push it back to chug/stylized. I've heard on the threads (well not actually heard but read) that most 3p are a bigger company's passion project. Well maybe part of the passion for some was coming up with new takes on established characters and not simply just engineering the original design.

I like/collect both official chug and 3p stylized/chug, but I never bought 3p chug to fill gaps in my retail chug collection. Then again, I could be in the minority on that, I couldn't tell you.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jaguaratron

Jaguaratron Well-Known Member

Theres a lot of interesting engineering points and designs coming from HasTak but there is also some dreadfully unnecessary penny pinching even on their most expensive offerings like the hollow hands on Siege Unicron.

• Like Like x 2
  7. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

News Credits:
    I think the golden era of Hasbro was when the Bay movies came out. The toys were superb

[​IMG]

Nowadays they are "ok" at best... With some exceptions...

[​IMG]

8. Mechman42

Mechman42 Queen of Sound

News Credits:
    I mean, there’s figures that average 3” tall, and we call those legends scale. 6” is the scale that Chug is at, and MP is usually around 9”. There isn’t really a better way to describe them.

• Like Like x 1
  9. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    "Quality" is so broad that it depends on how you view different ups and downs they've had. I'd say articulation improved while alternate modes have taken a hit. Build quality is all over the place. They build some very solid figures that are light years ahead of the rest that get stuck with clipped wheels, yellowing plastic, poor mold layout, and whatever other problem du jour. It's a little more difficult to evaluate recent lines as a whole because they started pumping in BW and beyond with Kingdom and I'm down to buying half a dozen per year where I used to collect entire lines.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

Of the Seige-and-later Hasbro figures I’ve bought that weren’t intended as customs, I have Siege Optimus, GenSelects Rotorstorm, and WnR Springer. That’s it. I genuinely liked those designs. I bought others for projects— some completed, some not— and others on impulse but either gave them away or cannibalized them for parts.

There’s nothing wrong with the CHUG size— in fact, I like it better than the larger space-consuming MPs. The problem is that the only major producer is Hasbro, and as you said, there’s always something that’s compromised about their designs. Their alt modes almost universally suck these days, but there’s usually also an engineering shortcut or two. I also dislike the fact that so many of their figures now have squat proportions. It’s as if someone decided to take out 20% of their leg height as a cost-saving measure.

In my opinion, MP scale is only good for the smallest bots. Legends scale is only not good for the smallest bots. CHUG would be fine if the 3Ps were making them.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Fretburn

Fretburn We need Instrument TFs

I had to like this if only for the variable smack that it was towards to other poster for deliberately taking offense at something where there was none.

People that don't understand "shelf presence" tend to be the same people with mismatched hand me down furniture and like to display their figures in whatever random old china cabinet they got from their grandmother.

If one is an adult and doesn't get "presence" and needs it explained to them they probably aren't going to get it after said explanation. A person that crams as many figures as physically possible into a given space isn't going to get it.

Some items simply draw your attention more than others for entirely too many variables to list.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

By the gaps in conversation, I’m assuming that someone on my ignore list is still intolerably toxic. I occasionally turn that feature off in hopes that I can remove some names, but it sounds like I need not bother today.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jaguaratron

Jaguaratron Well-Known Member

Ehhhhh

What would you class as the smallest bots? I think the NA Bumblebee and Cliffjumper figures are amazing, I will give you they are fiddly and the heel is extreme but i think the design is amazing and think an a shameless cribbing of the design would do great at MP scale as could easily add some folding panels to sort out the heel. The only one of the MS and NA legend releases I was slightly disappointed in was Ironhide 2.0 from NA, the robot mode was acceptable but nowhere near good enough to overlook the weirdness of what the alt mode had become.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mechman42

Mechman42 Queen of Sound

News Credits:
    I mean even the smallest of the small are great. I absolutely love Newage Frenzy, he’s adorable.

15. silith210518

silith210518 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    The exceptions are memorable though. But I have to say this recent line of legacy Hastak have knocked out of the park, the armada stuff and the tarn oh lord...

I'm not a mainline person at all and I'm MP elitist (to a fault really) but I've been buying more and more mainline. Granted that's only 3 figures a year Vs 1 every 2 years. I even backed haslab deathsaurus. The bay stuff was outstanding, it's when they just let their hair down, which is what they are definitely doing now I think. I really do recommend people give them a shot sometimes if you see something you like.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Criggity

Criggity Well-Known Member

I'm sure my views have been addressed by combination of others already, so I won't go super deep:

I lean toon and G1 because that's what I started with. I didn't get a lot of G1/G2 toys I wanted growing up since I watched the OG cartoon well after it was cancelled. Props to my mom for recording a bunch on VHS along with those priceless 80s commercials that I also missed. How I wish I could have tried Pudding Roll Ups or that oatmeal with the gummy bears in them.

Anyway, I have plenty of disposable income now so I buy the toys that remind me of the cartoon era I grew up with, like most folks. Never got into the Bayverse toys or much else after G1. I have a decent mix of legends and MP, but only of the figures that meant something to me. Since I missed all the combiners as a kid - I'm putting my space and resources to get legends combiners/titans and I just want two more MP figures (FT Jabber and a GOOD MP Bumblebee) to consider myself finished. My mainline collection is slowly thinning out, mostly SS86 stuff (which may be for sale soon, send me a PM if you want to see what I've got).

Having said that, if something amazing comes out at either scale or is on sale at a big discount, best believe I'll be getting it (eyes on Quickmix and Joyride).

I'm thrilled there are different eras of figures in both legends and MP on development for those fans, I just won't be buying them. We're all TF fans so we should have all our day in the sun. Think of it like football: I'm a Jets fan, but I don't besmirch the views of fans from other eras. Except the Patriots. Just no.

17. combaticon164

combaticon164 Warlord of Floriduh

I think there's room for all kinds of figures and sizes and price points. Hell, I know a lot of collectors who collect chugs, offical Mps, 3rd Party Mps and Legends. I think the best collections are diverse. The more the hobby is diverse, the healthier it is.

• Like Like x 4
  18. CowboyFromHell

CowboyFromHell Shake 'N Bake

3P isn't being phased out, many companies simply gave up trying to compete with Fans Toys.

19. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

News Credits:
    Tell that to Cang Toys, Unique Toys, MetaGate and even XTB

• Like Like x 1
  20. GrimLocke

GrimLocke Cultus Volcanicus

News Credits:
    .^.

IMG_9334.jpeg

• Like Like x 1