Is 3P hurting the quality and (movie) accuracy of Takara figures?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Jtotheiso187, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Jtotheiso187

Jtotheiso187 Well-Known Member

Especially with MPM figures. Is Takara rushing these figures in fear of losing sales to 3P companies? I think of MPM Bee Movie Bumblebee. I like the figure, but he's not accurate. It's like we are getting figures of early designs. Or ones with bad QC issues.

2. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Every single first iteration of a movie character going all the way back to 2007 has been based on incomplete inaccurate concept art, because the figure needs to be on the shelf opening day.

This isn't a 3p thing, this is a movie schedule thing.

• Like Like x 24
  3. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This. Or should we say, this is what happens when Marketing leads the way.

• Like Like x 2
  4. alzula

alzula Member

No, if you look at things like Zetatoys core star (not unicron) and compare it to the new hasbro-lab unicron. Both were in development in secret at the same time, and when they both showed their figure at the same time, the hasbro-lab version was vastly inferior as far as shell forming goes, and that is basically the most expensive master piece quality figure you can imagine, that had no idea a 3rd party company was doing the same thing, so they had no reason to rush.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime Subjectively Objective

Ebay:
    I feel like there's frequently some thread about how 3P is ruining some aspect of the franchise or somehow inappropriately touching children or something.

Most people, 3P collectors included, love HasTak toys and they generally do well for what they are. HasTak toys are constrained by many more things than 3P companies. The reason 3P MPM companies can make more screen accurate figures is because they really don't care if the entire figure is one bad day from turning into an explosive choking hazard, if the plastic won't last a decade, or that it won't survive a fall of 2 feet, or if the paint is made out of the soul of the Archangel Michael who will silently smother your firstborn while they sleep.

Hasbro is a multi-billion dollar corporation. Takara's probably there too. Yes, they likely lose some money to the hardcore nerdboat that kicks over his sippy cup and bangs his helmet engaging in paroxysm of rage because Movie Starscream's left nipple or whatever is colored wrong or because they need MASTERPIECE MOHAWK RIGHT GODDAMN NOW WHAT IS EVEN WRONG WITH YOU HASBRO?! However, I've got a niggling suspicion that they're making a lot more money just kicking out MPM Optimus and having the vast majority of people buy him as opposed to sitting around wringing their hands that some Chinese guy is kicking out what to them is a massively not cost effective MPM style Devastator that like maybe 1500 people will buy, tops.

• Like Like x 14
  6. tonysandlin

tonysandlin Well-Known Member

I think the original intention of the MPM line was to complete the 2007 movie cast. This seems to be bearing itself out with the current offerings. MPM movie Bee was an obvious executive decision to shoehorn the character in the line to take advantage of the movie and I think was the exception to the rule. I don't suspect we will see something like that again. Bit I don't think it had anything to do with 3P. Honestly, 3P movie toys have been a step below Hasbro in most instances, at least in terms of accuracy. Unique Toys have so far given us some pretty nice figures, but if Hasbro takes a swing at those character as MPM's I believe they would do better.

• Like Like x 1
  7. thepalehunter

thepalehunter beloved child of primus

I'd say no - in the same way that really really good burger joints aren't hurting McDonald's much.

• Like Like x 13
  8. Agent Prime 2814

Agent Prime 2814 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    If anything I think it forces Hasbro/Takara to UP their game. I mean look at the quality of Generations and Classics line versus the stuff from Siege. Leaps and bounds. Even from Combiner wars to Power of the Primes the improvement. I think when a small time 3rd party developer one ups the mainline companies they try harder.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Teletran-1

Teletran-1 Well-Known Member

I think 3P inspires people to buy Takara stuff. If it was only Takara characters available I wouldn’t be all that excited about a 3rd prime or new character every couple years. But knowing others are filling out the ranks makes me want the Takara versions as well

• Like Like x 3
  10. Mercutio

Mercutio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No.

Hasbro/Takara are the ones with access to official design files and renders from the movies. The fact that 3rd-parties, without those resources, can make figures that are more accurate, transform more smoothly, and have far less kibble (compare Unique Toys' movie figures to the official MPMs, for example) should show Has/Tak they need to step up their game.

Or, as the best meme ever created for these boards put it:

zeta.jpg

(Credit: Zeta Toys Unicron ZV-02 Core Star )

• Like Like x 16
  11. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax FINAL ATTACKRIDE - MU-MU-MU-MUTED!

News Credits:
    In Bee's case, his MPM design is apparently based on the next to last final draft of his appearance. That was how Bee was supposed to look in Bumblebee before changes were made.

• Like Like x 1
  12. franpincho

franpincho Well-Known Member

Haslab Unicron is not a MP Grade figure.

Also, neither one of those are actually out, so kind of hard to say which is superior to which. Unless of course you have a crystal ball in which case I rest my case.

13. Scourgatron

Scourgatron Heavy Metal Flamewar

News Credits:
    New pics of MP Bee V2

Front:

[​IMG]

Back:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 13
  14. Jtotheiso187

That's not the case with any of the MPM figures though.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Jtotheiso187

I disagree with this, maybe not a mp grade figure to you but he will check the boxes off to many.

16. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think with MPM stuff, as much as with Siege, Generations and other mass-produced department store stuff, Hasbro and Takara are cost cutting. They need to meet a certain price bracket to sell to their target audience and they need to make a certain level of profit to keep replacing their gold plated toilets every twelve months. Third party companies operate off of completely different economics.
    Takara certainly could make hyper realistic MPM stuff if they wanted to (we’ve seen how insane they can go with recent MP’s) but I suspect the market isn’t there to sell a $440 Bayformer Optimus. I’m honestly surprised the market was able to support a $440 G1 Optimus.

• Like Like x 5
  17. Mecheon

Mecheon Grumpy Dinosaur Nerd

Vastly superior at looking like a huge transforming robot though. Core Star looked too shrimpy in robot mode and didn't carry any of Haslab Unicron's sheer presence. If they were the same size, Haslab Unicron would look bigger

Haslab Unicron was not designed to be 100% accurate. It was designed to be a huge showpiece.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Scourgatron

Scourgatron Heavy Metal Flamewar

News Credits:

Hasbro murders shit with greeble. Thats it.

It looks like hail hit it and when the storm was over, Cujo chewed on it.

• Like Like x 2
  19. alzula

alzula Member

A huge show piece you cant view from the back/side cause it looks like garbage? The ammount of shell on its legs and back are disgusting. The only time it looks good is in planet mode, and then yes, has lab looks better, but in robot mode ill take a clean looking robot over a hot mess personally

• Like Like x 2
  20. thepalehunter

thepalehunter beloved child of primus

Say that to my face and see what happens.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3