Is 2010 the worst year for movies ever?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Tenebrouser, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Oh come now, are people seriously trying to take "RUINED FOREVER" away from us Transfans?

Not a spectacular year for movies, but there were plenty of decent to quite good ones.

Oh. and that Uganda movie?

LALALALALA-ACTION!

Oh, FTA:

[​IMG]

And don't you ever talk about either of those movies that way again.

- Coeloptera

2. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    My question is, has there been a movie year where every movie released had a generally good reaction? Or atleast close to it?

3. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Buttstuff Werewolf

News Credits:
    HAHAHAHA

I stopped reading the thread after this comment. Even forgot my opinion on it.

4. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I like to think of 2010 and the end of the dry spell caused by the writers strike. Sure I could be grasping here, but there has to be some fall out for Half of a year with out writers...

5. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

I take it you never watched George of the Jungle cartoons then? That movie was spot on to the tone of show. Plus Brendan Frasier. Anaconda is a monster movie, and you expectations should be modified by that fact alone. It's a good monster movie. You want a bad monster movie, watch Deep blue. Spawn isn't exactly high brow superheroes to begin with. And they that turned into an action movie. Not a horrible one either. The only real problem is the guy they cast as Spawn.

6. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    Liar Liar was definately one of the better ones. A few recent ones didn't really do the trick, I just can't laugh at him like I did back in the late 90's. While Batman Forever wasn't anywhere on a great movie list, Carrey definately entertaining as Riddler.

7. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I disagree, Michael Jai White has excellent screen and physical presence to play Spawn, its just s shame they left his mask off all the time.

Also, Michael Jai White as John Stewart the Green Lantern please.

And despite it all, Chris O'Donnell made a very good (if older) Robin to Val Kilmer's Batman, and there are some scenes and dialogue in that film that are pure Batman.

Overall this year has been pretty piss weak, but not awful.

8. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I'm posting from an iPod, so I can't hit individual points. But it's quite clear to me that your taste in movies is...Peculiar. So all I can say is good day sir.

9. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Just a casual observation reading this thread, I don't know why people get so combative and or defensive regarding peoples tastes in movies, people like what they like so who cares what others think. One thing I've noticed when talking about movies on the internet is people just want their own opinions repeated back to them.

Meh I was entertained by it :)  I'm not going to argue if it was good or bad but I found it was entertaining to say the least. It's been fashonable to bash John Woo movies as of late but I still enjoy his flicks a lot. Sure MI2, Windtalkers, and Paycheck were awful but like RabidYak stated at least he went back to China and made RedCliff so it's all good :) 

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  10. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Con-air and face off had me laughing a lot. Entertaining but really horrible movies(Kinda like ROTF). Nicholas Cage is hit or miss, and I cant stand Travolta.

I just watched repo man, and I had to say it was one of the better movies that I have seen this year.

11. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Only thing I would argue there is neither of those movies were 2 1/2+ hours long which is what really made me want to put a gun in my mouth watching ROTF.

12. cagliostro

cagliostro Victi Vincimus

Yeah, a shitty monster movie.

13. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who really loves Jurassic Park II? :lol 
    I think the acting was pretty good, special effects were top-notch (As always with the franchise) but I don't see many flaws with it. Maybe I should watch it again now that I'm better at pointing out plot-holes

I sorta agree with 2010 being the worst year for movies. The only good movies I've seen (And plan on seeing) are Kickass, Inception, Predators, Toy Story 3 and Iron Man 2, and a few others here and there that I probably missed and can't think of them off the top of my head.

Wait... Anaconda wasn't a SciFi channel original movie? It's somewhat bad but not totally unwatchable, especially if you're one of those geeks like myself who just sees any movie because it has something non-human killing people. I think it's an example of a good B-movie IMO.

14. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Baha. The years that gave us Avatar, Batman and Robin, ROTF, Shark Tale, any of the Asylum movies, anything from MST3K, FearDotCom.com, Night of the Lepus, A Troll In Central Park, Battlefield Earth, Whiteout, and (not limited to) Ecks VS Sever means that no year can be the worst year for movies ever unless Hollywood makes a real stinker.

Wait...

You're obviously biased, you don't count. ;) 

15. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    As soon as the guy put Jurassic Park and The Matrix in the same list as Casablanca I couldn't take the rest of his opinions seriously.

--Moony

16. Metal Soldier

Metal Soldier The Robot

Michael Jai White doesn't have time to be John Stewart, he needs to be making more Black Dynamite films.

Moony, the first Matrix was pretty good by itself.

17. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    The wisest thing I have read in this thread so far.

Everyone has different tastes, and are at different stages in life. What one person likes/dislikes is different from another. Who cares?

I wouldn't call 2010 the worst year in movies ever. I have seen my share of good movies, and my share of stinkers. Same old, same old.

18. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

By my count there have been 5 movies thus far this year worthy of purchase (She's Out of My League, Kick-Ass, How to Train Your Dragon, Iron Man 2, and Inception). Last year had about 5 or 6 worth buying when all was said and done and that includes Harry Potter which only made it to complete the series, not because it was very good.

I don't think the quality of films this year has been worse than any other, there's just been a lot fewer titles come out that really has people excited for them.

Besides, 2009 had Bruno, that alone makes it a top 5 contender for worst movie year.

And 1997 had Chasing Amy, so that automatically disqualifies it (The likes of L.A. Confidential and Men in Black certainly didn't)

19. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    This pretty much makes me not give a crap about anything else he has to say.

20. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

What's wrong with that sentence? Seems pretty accurate.