Irrational reasons to like a 'crappy' toy

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Darth Megatron, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    There was, sort of: the Transformers electric race track.

It came with two race cars that actually transformed--they didn't come with names or tech specs though. Even though the track was small, it was loads of fun. The cars' speed was controlled by handheld gun-shaped controls attached to the track by wires, and if you ever gunned it full speed, they would literally fly across the room so fast your eye couldn't follow them. This was especially effective if you laid down a long straight track and then hiked it up at the end to form a ramp.

I still have mine--the complete set, although I threw away the original packaging. I've heard the set's pretty rare. I don't even know how what kind of keyword search to use to find it online just to check the value of it these days. Anyone who remembers this or had one and can help?

Don't remember what year it was released either (late 80's?). I can't check mine -- it's in storage right now.

...as for crappy toys, there have been a few with Optimus' name attached that I have and like them just because they have his freakin' head on them. But as toys they suck.

2. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

Oooo, lucky bastard. Sounds like a neat toy, and very valuable. I would like to see a self transforming Transformer. Now that would be a neat toy. Except it would cost $200 and have to be made 50 years from now.

3. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I have an RC Transformer. It was a Christmas gift a couple years ago from my dad. It drives forward, transforms and turns in reverse. Pretty cool actually. I should fiddle with it somemore...

4. kissmekillme

kissmekillme Well-Known Member

I love the whole of the Cybertron Jungle Planet.

Leobreaker is a big disappointment to most. He may well be my favourite Transformer ever, next to BW Silverbolt. Especially once I fixed his articulation. No interest in his combination with Optimus so that doesn't bother me about the toy at all.

I LOVE Backstop. He's just so cute. And really, not all that bad. No worse than anything out of G1. He's got character. And I fixed his leg artic too.

Undermine is a great and underappreciated mode. I fold his beast arms to the back. He's got nice articulation and colours and I love how different his robot head looks from the norm.

Brimstone's got possibly the most badass name ever given a TF. I love how sleek he looks and the headsculpt is killer. And again, great articulation.

Wreckloose has a really neat Transmetal II feel. Awesome beast mode, and the antlers are just so quirky. Bot mode also has nice articulation and lots of character.

Not too many people complain about Scourge and Snarl, but they're also some of my favs.

The other really big group I love that most hate are the Fuzors.

Like I said before, Silverbolt is tied for my fav TF EVER. Quickstrike was a great basic, and so was Buzzclaw who was made even better when he became Repugnus. Skyshadow and Torca just screamed badass and I really wish they'd made the show. Terrorgator was a little gangly, but he had that killer shield and cannon. Injector is just so freakish you have to love him. Bantor, Noctorro and Airhammer aren't my faves but they're all very charming, if only for the absurdity of the combinations. All they were really lacking in was a bit of paint, and once remedied they really shine.

5. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

For me, the biggest figure that I love would be the Energon Dinobots. Swoop is not my favorite, but Grimlock is one of my favorite TF's ever.

6. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

The Armada Sideswipe mold. I think his car mold and head sculpt rocks

Wheelie- I think Wheelie is cool and like his toy as well

SWTFs - I know their botmodes are sucktastic , but I still like them as toys

BW Fuzors- I think they're great, and Injector is my favorite. So there

Bionicle- This line gets hardly no love, yet they're so fun.

DICE- These figs are awesome, especially if you like the smaller Joes or Visionaries

Armada Hotshot- Love his easy transformation

Gobots- The vintage ones rock, especially the Super Gobots and combiners

Energon Alpha Q- I know the toy does'nt transform but it's stull fun and great for backing up or creating plots

Energon Ironhide- Great toy that actually has 2 robot modes

Armada Smokescreen- Like Armada Hotshot, I really dig his simple transformation

Beast Machines Skydive- His botmode has ninja like poseability and those swords kick ass

Air Attack Primal- AWESOME!

Supreme Cheetor- Diplayed in cat mode is sexy. Puts my real cats to shame

BM Mirage- This little racecar is too sweet. Batmobile like vehicle mode and robot mode is loaded with weapons , plus great poseability. one of my favorite TFs ever

BW Neo Stampy- Transrabbits are fun

Pretenders- I still hate the shells, but the robots inside are actually pretty cool

PVC's- They look like the cartoon itself is sitting on your shelf.

Animorphs- Haha , just kidding. Eww

Micromaster transports- You can almost rebuild Cybertron with these things

Autorollers- They dont have feet really, but they're still quite fun.

Spychangers- I love these things, I dont know why.

Calcar & Fearswoop (Trakkons) Thought these were pretty cool in a Machine Wars basic sorda way

Gundam SD- I love these things, dont know why either.

BW Manterror- Great toy, good poseability

Power Ranger Zords- Not too many Transfans are into Zords but I love their huge bulking powerful looking forms. They also feed my combiner hunger in a good way

Centurions- They were like the Sigma 6 of their day

So many more TF's to list, so little time. That's all I have for now

7. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think I could say something good about any Transformer. I have never seen a Transformer so bad that I'd NEVER want to buy it. BM Maximal Nightscream came close, but one day I picked up a second-hand copy of him on eBay.

8. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

I'm actually fond of supreme cheetor. It only cost me $10 so that may be part of it. If this thing had been smaller I think it would have been an awsome toy. But I got a huge toy for the price of a small one so it's all good with me.

9. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

Mutant Beast Wars Poison Bite: The one time the beast-to-beast gimmick actually looked convincing.

Heinlad: Yeah, everyone makes fun of him. But hey, he drinks sake -- AND his drink jug turns into a weapon.

I wonder if anyone's actually used Heinlad as a real alarm clock, like the kid in Car Robots. It's possible, but doesn't seem real practical.

-XCN-

10. Rampage01

Rampage01 knockoff of a knockoff

Airhammer is, quite simply, my favorite transformer figure of all time. I have yet to find another transformer with as much fun-itude as this guy has.

A lot of people don't seem to like Drillbit, but I love the little guy. Sure, his back doesn't always stay in place in bot mode, but other then that, he's lots of fun.

I've also seem some fans express dissatisfaction with BM Scavenger, but he was one of my favorite figures from that line.

11. Feralstorm

Feralstorm To Infinity - and Your Mom TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Armada Optimus Prime (both sizes) and Armada Thrust are better than many give credit.

Many seem to hate anything Beast Machines (Maximals especially), but Blackarachnia and Blast Punch Optimus are the shiz-nite!

Cyb Thunderblast is a cute chick.

And finally, way too many people are down on poor ol' Energon Grimlock, when he's actually totally great, so apparently everyone who disagrees is completely wrong. :) 

12. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hell yes! Except for the possibly part. :thumbs2:  Though I'm not a big fan of the mold, I bought him just for the name.

Can't really think of any others.

13. centurian

centurian Recovering Energon Abuser

I absolutely love Machine Wars Starscream - I know he's a brick in robot mode with all the posability of a jumpstarter - but I just can'y help digging that big black jet alt mode. I just wish he had the original Skyquake gun - he would then be perfect!

BTW: anybody got a lose G2 Skyquake gun?

14. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

Folks:

Well, everybody seems to be bringing out their rational
    reasons for liking unpopular transforming robots, so let
    me bring out one of my favorites which I absolutely
    can't justify - GoBot Tank:

http://www.tfu.info/Gobots/Renegades/Tank/tank.htm

Transformation? He folds in half! He doesn't even lock
    together! And the arms? Just where are they supposed
    to go? They don't even peg in place, just flop around
    in the open. In the end it doesn't matter, because his
    tank mode is obviously a folded robot.

Tank even lacks normal Gobot articulation;
    he can't bring his fists together for an energy blast.
    Worst of all, his tank mode depends completely on
    his easily-lost guns -- if you don't have them, all you
    have to indicate his tank-ness is his idiotic name.

In fact, Tank seems to embody all the disgusting and
    vile practices commonly attributed to the GoBot line.
    Tank has no friends. When somebody buys Tank,
    it is usually because a dealer has dumped 2 or 3 of
    him in a mixed lot. He's the Twin Twist of GoBots...
    and yet....for some absurd reason...I just like Tank.

15. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

i like gf autovolt and saidos. people seem to rag on these two the most.

16. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Moderator

News Credits:
    Energon Ironhide is great. I was playing with Ironhide the other day with my son. I love Energon Swoop he's much better than Grimlock.

17. NotoriousBIC

NotoriousBIC Prime Suspect

Seconded!

18. Foster

Foster Haslab Unicron Backer #10 Veteran

News Credits:
    Quickswitch led my Autobot battalion for about 6 months in 1988, until I got PM Optimus Prime. He rocks!

19. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

Your opinions be damned! My girlfriend and I both really love Backstop. He's cool (cute to her) in a freakish way.

20. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Autovolt? Who's been ragging on him? I see nothing but love for him down in Toyark.