Ironhide #4 - Spoilers

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Andersonh1, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    A very nice book which I enjoyed. It is a shame that Costa's ongoing work isn't as impressive as his Ironhide mini-series. Also, this means we now have nothing to look forward to until the ongoing switches gears to Hot Rod's perspective.

2. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

are there any current plans for more idw g1 minis? loved the high volume output we had for a while, i hope that doesn't stop

3. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

Personally I think it should, too many Minis seems to be a problem these days and I have a feeling this is why Costa sucks with Ongoing. Because he's too busy focusing on all the Minis he's got to do he just dregs up some filth for the Ongoing and we get stuff like Spike Vs. Scrapper. (Pointless, meaningless drivel.)

I for one love the Minis, but I think they should let other writers handle those chores so that Costa isn't being torn in too many directions at once. Now that Ironhide is over doesn't the Drift mini start up already next month with Costa on hand.

Either let Costa focus on the Ongoing or give the Ongoing to someone else because clearly Costa is better at writing minis as opposed to an ongoing title where a mess of stuff happens, but in the long run you get stuck with wierd filler issues and pointless (READ BAD) story ideas.

4. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think McCarthy is doing the Drift mini, so Costa should be able to focus on just the ongoing.

5. cgibsonREX

cgibsonREX Knight of Cybertron

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    This was a good read, it left me wanting more! But did we ever find out where in the time line this story takes place? Normally in the book we would get something like "This story takes place before issue #1-3 of _____". We didn't get that.

6. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    It said "present day" in the first or second issue, so it probably happened concurrently with ongoing 7-9 or there abouts.

7. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

This book was the last straw, I am cancelling all my IDW Transformers shit. UUUUUUUUUGH.

8. Kungfu Dinobot

Kungfu Dinobot Well-Known Member

Aw come on, I want FEEDBACK, man!What do you d00ds think of this?

9. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Buttstuff Werewolf

News Credits:
    I don't think that's possible since they actually ripped knowledge from Hunter's head so we know Hunter was captured and tortured. Couple that with the begging for death...

10. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

I actually have to agree with you on this... wow.

I was late picking up my comics, and I read Ironhide #3 and #4 in one sitting. Holy crap, was this disappointing (still better than the last two issues of the ongoing, however).

This is my impression of the overall series... here are a few of my beefs...

The writing is REALLY spare and lightweight. This whole story could have pretty much fit into ONE SPOTLIGHT ISSUE, and it seemed like Costa was trying his best to drag his meagre material out as much as possible to fill 4 issues. Pretty sad.

I didn't mind the art, but panels of explosions peppered with such utterly dull cliches such as "Waaa!", "Come to papa!", "Time to check out!" and "Aaaaaaaaa!!!" got pretty old pretty fast. It felt like dialogue from one of those comic books I wrote when I was about 10 years old.

Alpha Trion, I have to admit, is entertaining... though almost to the point of distracting from the mood. However, portraying him as somewhat insane, megalomaniacal, and still sort of benevolent makes for an interesting character.

I appreciate the fact that Costa is trying to tie up some lingering loose ends in IDW's continuity... like Metroplex, the electromagnetic "poisoning" of Cybertron, Sunstreaker, etc...

Sunstreaker is back, and bent on redemption. Something too easy about that. Also Ironhide is acting like Sunstreaker was his best buddy in the world, despite the fact that Sunstreaker is, traditionally, a huge egotistical, vanity-prone asshole, and probably not an Autobot Ironhide would take to.

And Ironhide's rebirth... hmmm... so hypothetically, there could be TWO Ironhides running around, right? This one is just a "copy"?

So Costa made a big deal out of killing off Ironhide, just so he could bring him back as a younger version of himself about 6 months later? WTF?

And yeah, we get it... Ironhide is tough. But he is supposed to single-handedly reclaim Cybertron from the Swarm... a threat that had a whole force of Autobots (including the Wreckers and Ironhide himself) quaking in their boots??? I know those guys and Omega Supreme already killed a lot of Insecticons, but that's still pretty stupid. It feels like Costa's just pandering to the fanboys that were crying when Ironhide died.

Ironhide is "tough" is he? Well, since A3 built him a whole new body, couldn't ANYBODY be that tough? I mean, what does being "tough" mean, when all you need is a new body? So much for Ironhide being a tough old codger, full of aches and pains and old dents in his unique trithyllium-steel alloy skin impregnated with irradiated carbon fibers. Now he's got a brand new body, that just happens to be identical to the old one?

And about that... Alpha Trion went through all the trouble to build a new body for Ironhide and revive him... and then he just LEAVES him in the middle of nowhere to wake up on his own? Okay, so A3's personal logic seems a bit screwy, but to me that's just an excuse for bad writing. Sure it drags out the "mystery", but it doesn't make sense.

And we STILL don't know why everybody else knows who A3 is, and Ironhide doesn't. Apparently the only reason that keeps coming up is because it's supposed to generate comedy. :rolleyes: 

I'm a little disappointed that Metroplex's sole purpose is to act as a drone/bodyguard/transport for A3.

Bah.

Don't even get me started on the last issue of the ongoing. I hope Costa falls in a deep hole and we get someone new... soon!

zmog

11. cgibsonREX

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Not to mention what we seen his face and who he was when he died.

I wont argue with your view of the book, I agree with you but I still liked it. I stopped expecting what I would like to see from IDW and just accept what we get from them and be happy we even have TF comics to read LOL! There has been very few IDW books that made me go OMG through out the whole series!

Ready to rip apart issue 10 today? lol!

12. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

I'm behind schedule. I just ripped apart #9. :D 

zmog

13. Kungfu Dinobot

What if he was just a lookalike?

14. cgibsonREX

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    What if Optimus Prime is really Shattered Glass Prime in disguise? We can speculate about a lot of things... ;) 

15. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

*Brofist*

16. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Buttstuff Werewolf

News Credits:
    What if it's really the Beyonder and this is actually Marvel Earth-7334. SPIDERMAYNE VS OPTIMUS RHYME!

Edit - Oh yeah, I actually enjoyed the Ironhide series. Seems like it's doing it's best to tie up the loose-en... well, the down right bullshit, that was AHM. I still refuse to pick up the ongoing but a few more stories like this and I might pick up the trades!

17. Kungfu Dinobot

Don't back-talk me sistah!I know for a fact if my dumb idea (just about as dumb as IDW transformers post-Furman, really) becomes canon you're be over the moon!

18. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Gotta agree with SMOG. This mini was all about patching holes. And preserving the mystery at the start (along with Ironhide waking up outside on his own) that never really paid off in the end, and the story around it was rather weak. And I sorta feel cheaped that both Ironhide and Sunstreaker are now alive again. I want a TF killed and to stay dead for once.
    What if the Optimus in AHM that magically revived very soon after being said to be almost dead was also a copy made by Alpha Trion and sneakily slipped into the place of the real Optimus that died without anyone knowing? :p 

19. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just had an epiphany (parital thenks to GogDog whilst listening to the WTF Book Club). We may not get closure on Alpha Trion or Metroplex for quite some time if at all. Now that Alpha Trion is one of the Original 13, Hasbro's gonna want to keep close tabs on him just like the others & may not allow him to be used. For example, the TFCC can't use Nexus Prime anymore for this reason, so whatever intent Costa has for the crazy bastard may be squashed at worst, severly re-written at best. Either way, this kinda ticks me off b/c as long as IDW can't use Alpha Trion, they can't use Metroplex either.

20. Kungfu Dinobot

That would explain why he's so brand-spanking new and had a more idealistic (read: stupid) personality:thumbs2: