Iron warrior tfp megatron

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by madex, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Pcm979

Pcm979 Well-Known Mimber

Yeah, the real niche for non-transforming Transformers is Robot Mode accuracy. In my mind, they work best when supplementing an existing, Transforming version of the character, or when the only Transforming versions of the character are terrible abominations (see the AoE Prime DMK versus what Hasbro belched at us that year).

• Like Like x 1
  2. sideswipe29

sideswipe29 Collect what makes you happy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Seems like a lot of you guys have the same way of thinking as I do then.

All of my bots are in robot mode 100% of the time and it's those forms that I associate with the character so I'm more than content with figures not being able to transform. Makes me wish more companies would approach figures like this and focus on screen accuracy rather than fitting in a transformation that has to forsake some of that accuracy.

True enough but like you said even when those are announced there is a hefty majority that complains that it's not a "true" transformer. I guess I was just surprised that this thread has been mostly free from those types of commenters and it made me optimistic that the perception around these types of things was changing.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Desertwindhounds

Desertwindhounds Toy Robot Exploiter

Twitter:
    I would happily buy glorified Action Masters. I collect some of the 3A figures and I’m in for some of the Flame Toys figures, but those aren’t really toys and they aren’t meant to be played with (also too expensive to really abuse.) I have the MAS figures and they’re really too big to just have fun messing with. I’d love some tarted up action figures.

• Like Like x 1
  4. RobotKnight95

RobotKnight95 Unamused and Insane

News Credits:
    Why am I only hearing of this now?!

5. Talos

Talos Odin's Doppelgänger

I was under the impression Optimus was the first to be done, then this one. As long as both are finished within a decent amount of time, then all's well that ends well.

I agree wholeheartedly that there should be more action master renditions of characters on the market for those who just want non-transforming Transformers, especially due to the fact that the characters themselves are, in large part, what draws appeal to their distinctive personalities. XTB seems to be touching a bit upon that with Autobot Spike, although there are a few voices that want him to have an alt-mode, despite there never being anything official. I say there should be a variety of options for consumers to have, be it action master or actual transforming figures, and this is something I regard as especially true for much larger characters (i.e combiners, Titans and so on). Just so long as it remains affordable, unlike Flame Toys or 3A, which are still awesome, but exceedingly pricey. Variety, after all, is often said to be the spice of life, and this should certainly hold true in this hobby.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I generally prefer them to transform, even though I rarely use the gimmick. This is more of a supplemental option because there is no decent transofrming version of the Prime or Megs from this continuity.
    It's basically a matter of "better than nothing".
    As others have said, there is a very small, very niche market for non-transfoming transformers but I suspect a lot of the interest in this is from folks "settling" for this option.
    To be frank? If someone announced a transforming version of these two characters in a similar scale and loking pretty close to this good in bot mode, I'd drop interest in this one in a hot minute, and I suspect a signiificant proportion of those interested in this would probably go the same way.
    Makes it a very tough market to address.
    The big expensive ones like FlameToys charge a lot and go more for the "Premium Exclusive" tactic.
    But given this is $100, how would we all react if someone announced a transforming one for $120 that looked as nice?

• Like Like x 2
  7. Retroheavy

Retroheavy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Old):
    Tumblr:
    I have couple 3a/prime 1 transformers. So I have no beef with non transforming transformers. But I’ll usually display an actual transformer in alt mode next to the non transforming display piece. Like MPP10 at the base of ultimetal Optimus makes for a show stopping Optimus display.

So I’ll probaby hunt down another first edition prime to display in alt mode next to IW prime. Same with megatron.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Bob 121

Bob 121 Well-Known Member

This guy is pretty cool. I have a lot of love for the Prime line and it's one of the few that I've always wanted to keep on display. Not sure how this will work with the rest of the line since he seems gigantic to me but I won't be passing on him if he's done well.

• Like Like x 1
  9. sideswipe29

sideswipe29 Collect what makes you happy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    This is interesting to me. I own both the First Edition Prime and Final Battle Voyager Megatron and didn't think either of those were that bad. Sure they weren't perfect but for the time they are still pretty brilliant.

Is it mostly a size thing? Have people wanted these characters in this larger scale for a while?

I'm in no way trying to question or undermine people's interest in this product. I'm just genuinely curious about what draws people to this. :D 

10. TheGame2K5

TheGame2K5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Im with you. Id go as far as to say the First Edition Voyager Prime is the best voyager prime mold from any line. Bulkhead was also a fantastic figure. Its honestly one of my favorite lines because they were pretty accurate minus some paint apps. Im still down for these guys too as I collect Gundams already so this is right up my alley.

11. Starganderfish

News Credits:
    I don't really have a connection to the continuity myself, I simply collect the best iterations of OPtimus and Megatron as toys. So MP-10, M-01, Planet X Jupiter, Alpha Pack etc (and the matching Megatrons) I was satisfied with the official TF Animated toys of Optimus and Megatron but I had a lot of trouble finding really nice represenattions of TFP Optimusand Megatron that pair together well. The First Edition Prime is kind of blocky and toylike, and is only a Voyager. The matching Megatron looks to be a bit better designed and built. But compared to these kits, they both still look kind of like cheap toys. These Iron Warrior kits will look amazingly accurate to the source material, will look high quality and will have far more shelf presence.
    Honestly, in filling out my collection of Opti/Megs figures it's super rare for a HasTak product to have the shelf presence to make the cut (outside of MP)
    Animated does well enough because those toys actually look a lot like the cartoon. The only others to make the cut are POTP Orion Pax (and he'll be replace by the improved KO shortly) and Beast Machines Primal (a custom painted Air Attack Primal). I have a ROTF Megatron with upgrades but he'll be given the flick the instant one of those 3P versions is released.
    Pretty much anything else from HasTak mainline tpoys are just too cheap and plasticy to look very good alongside the quality stuff coming out of 3P.
    This figure and even more so, the matching Prime, DO look that good.
    And when I referred above to "if someone annouced a transforming version" I pretty much took it for granted that whoever that was, it would be a 3rd party. Oustide of MP, HasTak actually doing a character justice is just super rare.
    YMMV.

• Like Like x 1
  12. clank clank

clank clank give me your energonies daddy

Personally? I don't care about size as long as they're roughly in scale with each other. The Prime designs are some of my favorite incarnations of the characters, and if I'm buying a figure, I want it as detailed and screen accurate as possible. This is a line I've desperately wanted since I first watched Prime.

My (outsider) impression is the TF community as a whole is a bit unusual in that adult collectors are buying a product intended as a toy for children, with very few high-end options. Transformers are designed to simple, durable, and affordable.

Compare this to collectors of Figma/Revoltech/ect. That demographic has high expectations and deep pockets. They'd consider the amount of kibble and accuracy concessions on a RID Deluxe Class absolutely unacceptable. Conversely, None of them will bat an eyelid at a $60 pricetag.

That's not even going into the REALLY fancy stuff like Hot Toys...

• Like Like x 1
  13. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm honestly not sure why I'm okay with these non-transforming figures. I think it's mostly that I really want mp scale and mp looking figures. I'm only in for Optimus and Megatron, though. They'll go on the shelf with the rest of my Optimus and Megatron figures (except mp10 and mp36 - they're in with the other mp's). Now if somebody were to make mp transforming figures of tfp, I'd buy every single character.

I have a lot of the tfp figures including Megatron and fe op. I missed out on some and passed up others because the figures weren't that great (Knockout) and I had an extremely limited budget back then but I've got a decent collection. They're some of the best non-MP transformer figures to come out of Hasbro. A testament to their engineering abilities when they're actually trying. But they're still pretty toy looking and just don't have the same presence as MP figures or these Iron Warrior figures.

• Like Like x 2
  14. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    For me it's the size, the screen accurate detail, and the articulation.

I've got the voyager Megatron with the DMY upgrade kit, and other parts that I designed and printed. While that figure works for going with the rest of my TFP figure collection, this one and the Iron Warrior Prime will make awesome display pieces.
    Same here. I don't have the shelf space for a whole line of TFP figures at this scale, but I am inclined to buy each release and then eBay them later to help support getting them all made.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Desertwindhounds

Desertwindhounds Toy Robot Exploiter

Twitter:
    I don’t think you can get quite the same screen accuracy with a transforming toy. Some compromises will have to be made. That said, as long as I like the aesthetic and the quality is good, I would buy both. They are two different things and for me serve two different purposes. My collection is mostly Prime/Megatron and I’ll buy multiple interpretations of the same continuity as long as I like the toy, so I’m not buying placeholders.

People are quite individual with how and what and why they buy. TFP is the only TF cartoon I’ve really loved (I’m old enough that I have no rosy childhood nostalgia about any of them) and I’d buy these even as shelf pieces.

16. Starganderfish

News Credits:
    Nice. I'm from a similar though slightly skewed place. I never watched this cartoon, or pretty much anything after Beast Machines so the continuity and this version of the characters means nothing to me. My main collection is G1 Masterpieces.
    But I also collect differeing takes on Prime and Megs and like to have the best looking of each version (though G1 get's leeway and has multiple takes, just because I am and always will be a geewunner) So when assessing this particular take on the characters (ie: TFP), I was originally going to just get the HasTak toys, and as such they were a low priority as they're honestly not that great. But as soon as I saw these kits, they jumped ahead in the running.
    And as I said, should someone do an even better take (ie: looks as good AND transforms) then that will jump into pole position. But I simply wouldn't bother with multiple versions of this iteration of the character, so best looking wins.

17. Laserpants

Laserpants Well-Known Member

I think that a few years down the line, we’ll have several third party offerings of transforming TFP figures, no doubt almost as good looking as these ones.

Should I wait for them, or sell these once they come? No. I normally cherry pick to the nth degree, but with Prime the show designs are just so good that I want to own multiple versions. In fact, I’d take an Iron Warrior Nemesis recolor or a Dark Energon Megatron too.

18. clank clank

clank clank give me your energonies daddy

Now that's an impressive level of creator support!
    If you don't have shelf space, you could always give them to me ;) 

• Like Like x 1
  19. Cheem The Rup

Cheem The Rup Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    2017ct

006z7lZkgy1fwgxwzqvcij30rs0zi41a.jpg 006z7lZkgy1fwgxx00ew3j30rs120q65.jpg 006z7lZkgy1fwgxx077vmj30p00puwgc.jpg [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    • Like Like x 26
    • News Credit News Credit x 1
  20. Recon734

Recon734 Mnemosurgeon

News Credits:
    To be honest, my biggest issue with these things is that they’re model kits. I have no experience with them.

Non-transforming? Couldn’t care less. If the alternative is compromising bot-mode aesthetic, I’d prefer it to not transform.

EDIT:

FF012CD4-104D-4468-AA61-CBF4C4C192A6.gif

• Like Like x 2