Iron factory vs dx9 war in pocket?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by 0ursisthefury, Nov 30, 2016.

1. 0ursisthefury

0ursisthefury Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    After all the figures for both iron factory and war in pocket has been announced, I wanted to begin collecting them. What are people's long term experience with both lines of figures? Do they stress and break over time? I have heard that as a complaint with these smaller figures?

Also is it just be or do iron factory look much better and sturdier than dx9? Prime example being dx9 Devastator to the recently announced IF bruticus.

2. Cha Chi

Cha Chi Minimondomayhem

News Credits:
    Neither companies line suffer any major qc issues, they are the same though the plastic type used is different with each company. Don't think anyone can really judge over time, it has only been about 2/3 years since they first came out.

Hulkie vs Brutie, they are both very different takes. One conceals all the combiner parts, one lavishes combiner parts so i wouldn't say one was obviously better than the other. Individual bots look about the same imo.

I am just going to collect what i can't live without from each company. They won't be mixing much at all on my shelves...

• Like Like x 4
  3. edgecrusher

edgecrusher "She wanted nothin', and I delivered." TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    DX9's figures seem to more often suffer from limited articulation and somewhat of a lower quality feel in hand. They're slightly larger in size (so they don't scale directly with IF's legends scale) and they seem to represent a cheaper aesthetic, much more toy-like, and perhaps less TLC than goes into IF's products. They're also more G1 in style whereas IF is more IDW or other influences.

That said, IF is starting to price themselves out of the market at least with NA retailers, which will drive more business to alternatives. DX9 has a chance to gain marketshare if they can deliver better thought-out product designs for their upcoming WiP products and avoid the price issue themselves (Hulkie was fundamentally overpriced, for example, but hopefully they learned from that).

• Like Like x 4
  4. 0ursisthefury

0ursisthefury Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I purchased Blurr and Ironhide and they did not look that nice too me so I stayed away from all legends figs, but once I saw prowl, Bluestreak, etc from IF I thought they were amazing, but didn't want to get burned again.

Your right they are expensive... Onslaught is one figure at $70...

5. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've owned DX9's Ratchet and honestly I really prefered Iron Factory's stuff aesthetic wise. IF uses 5mm pegs and Ratchet used 3mm, which limited weapons reuse. I also may have just gotten a bad apple but the side panels on my Ratchet always fell off during transformation. I've yet to have any issues on the IF figures I own (Windblade, Arcee, Turrets and Manacle, Overlord, Blitzwing and Black Shadow).

6. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Board Certified Fans Trollar

News Credits:
    A very good succinct summary of the state of the union, although I should add that if you want to get IF products, buy it straight from China through eBay.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Cha Chi

Cha Chi Minimondomayhem

News Credits:
    If you talk about an overpricing comparison. I have said this before that i thought Hulkie was just about worth 140 and dinobots were not worth 180 let alone 140.

Reason being, not so much how much weight in plastic you get or how many figures that is(7 in hulkie case ;) ) the way i justify it is the work that has gone into hulkie was incredible and unique. It might not always be appreciated after the event, hulkie was groundbreaking or mighty impressive engineeringly at least i think, as it feels like now the hulkie amazement or respect has worn off. I have nothing against the IF Dinos just the price and where the products fell in my own priorities.

The IF prices are what they are after the dinos i am not even concerning myself with what price they are, will wait until they are out and see what the situation is. I pre ordered lord scorpion, i priortised him and actually he has 8 pins in one set of legs so yeah more work than your average... Judge for yourself if something worth it, speak with your wallet, don't pay more. It is best if this legends game stays viable for everyone.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, Ratchet had some widespread QC issues; I don't think the Ironhide mold was strong enough to stand up to reuse. I assume the upcoming rerelease will fix most of those (not that it does me any good).

I collect both lines and I like both a lot. I generally think that Iron Factory's figures feel better in hand - the plastic feels smoother and stronger and details are generally a lot crisper - but some of their joints are alarmingly tight out of the package. Most loosen up with time, but I do sometimes worry that they won't stop loosening - Evillord's legs in particular stress me out a little. They do have a lot of accessories and some great designs, but I find myself passing on a lot of figures because they don't work for me on an aesthetic level (I have their Blaster, for example, which is a cool robot but he doesn't really transform into anything). I like my legends-scale guys to be more G1-inspired, as opposed to IF's more IDW-ish approach (although there are still a lot of figures that do work for me, like City Commander or Lord Scorpion - I'm super excited for their Dai Atlas).

DX9 generally works better for me on the aesthetic level; all their figures so far look recognizably close to the original cartoon. The plastic feels a bit softer and details aren't as crisp, though. Some of their transformations are pretty cool (Kup is kind of brilliant), but some are really basic (looking at you, Motormaster) and at least one straddles the line between engagingly and obnoxiously complicated (Mightron). I've had relatively few QC issues outside of Ratchet's arm panel and one of Kup's feet being really tight on the pin. They generally feel cheaper than Iron Factory's stuff, but I don't mind since they are small toys, after all. As an early adopter, though, I've been pretty irked by all their recent rereleases with improved molding and sculpting.

End of the day, I like both companies, even though my collection is mostly DX9 at this point. I have preorders up for upcoming releases from both companies and I'm really excited for what they both have in the pipeline for 2017.

• Like Like x 2
  9. IanAdams

IanAdams Secret Octopus

They're both solid in QC terms. IF tends to have more, crisper details. DX9 is more G1, IF is more IDW. IF is doing some pricier releases, but you can generally look at paint apps and parts count and go "okay, yeah, that's why it costs that."

• Like Like x 1
  10. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    I can't speak for DX9's but I've recently gotten really into Irin Factory's releases. I only have their Overlord and the Dynobots but there was no QC issues whatsoever. Great little toys. Definitely expensive however.

11. Starling

Starling Well-Known Member

I recommend a mix to have a proper "masterpiece legends size collection", I have Kup, Arcee, Ironhide, Ratchet, Galvatron, Cyclonus and Scourge from DX9, Sixshot from Iron Factory, Soundwave from Mech Planet, Optimus Prime and Megatron from Generation Toy and Starscream (FOC) and Ironhide (FOC) from Shapeshift and they all together doesn't fit for my expectations; BUT, if you put Soundwave from Mech Planet, Optimus Prime and Megatron from GT and Kup and Arcee from DX9, they look beautiful together and in a really really apropiate scale to me.

Iron Factory looks great but figures are too small (Sixshot for example), the DX9 seekers seems good but not all and the Mech Planet Hot Soldiers are a strong option to me now.

It's a shame that Shapeshift doesn't produce more figures because their Starscream (Sky Snake) and Ironhide (Heavy Metal) just wow.

I hope this information helps you.

12. metaphorge

metaphorge Decepticon

News Credits:
    I am a voracious collector of both companies wares. You should buy all of them and love them and hug them and call them George.

If you need a starting point, I can't say enough good things about Iron Factory's Bridgewatcher (Shockwave) and DX9's Sonic Wizard (Soundwave, with minions).

• Like Like x 3
  13. ICEPnguin

ICEPnguin Constructicon

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Pinterest:
    Ive bought several from each company also the hot soldiers line and the only figure I've had a problem with was DX9 Swoop. His joints were really tight and his knee snapped and leg fell off. It was replaced though and the new one is much better. Honestly if you want to collect there seems to be no wrong choice right now.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Blitzsword

Blitzsword Autobot

I also mix and match DX9 and Iron Factory. They both have excellent offerings, though I will admit that I tend to lean more toward Iron Factory than DX9. At the end of the day, it all depends on how you want to build your collection. With me, I went with DX9's Dinobots over IF's since they have Dinosaur alt forms. Though the IF Dynobots are great figures too.

While I'm at it, I have to give praise to DX9's Soundwave. That little figure surprised me on how good it looks standing next to my IF Shockwave and IF seekers. Hulkie is also a pretty impressive piece as are the Doombringers set. Not a fan of DX9's Seekers and Ironhide/Ratchet - they look too simple for my tastes

The good thing is they all look excellent together on shelf so you can't go wrong with either.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Treadshot 2.0

Treadshot 2.0 Action Master

News Credits:
    both are great companies but IF seems very overpriced to me. dx9s figures are also engineering marvels pretty often... like, id totally buy upsized/upgraded dx9 figs. their mini Dinobots are awesome

early dx9 stuff is in a different scale than their newer stuff though (more in line with first-wave IF figures), so be aware of that.

16. unicronic

unicronic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I would say that both companies are in a very good place right now.

DX9's WIP range started strong but hasn't made any major leaps forward in quality/risk taking.

Iron Factory started a bit bleh but has made some major leaps forwards and taken some risks that have worked well e.g. Multi-homage Optimus Prime; War Within Dynobots etc.

Both companies rarely overlap (there's even a case to collect both Seeker offerings) and can exist together.

17. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Well l have no long term.experience but within this last month l have got Sonic Wizars and Flier, Soundwave and Swoop respectively. I LOVE these figures! Soundwave is a true "modern" Legends size, whereas Swoop is a large Scout or even possibly a diminutive Deluxe size. However as l feel Dinobots generally are larger, l like they way they scale together.

Super articulation, fun inventive transformations, and very iconic 'toon & G1 aesthetics assure l will be a ptron for a ling while!

I have War in Pocket Rager (Grimlock) and Iron Factory Bridge Watcher (Shockwave) in transit and looking very forwarx to both! 20171031_135608-1.jpg 20171016_140638-1.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  18. Zappit

Zappit Well-Known Member

I recently went all in on IF's stuff - preordered almost everything they're putting out next year. I did, however, grab the WiP Dinobots. I really think they should dwarf other bots. Dinosaurs are huge. Plus, those Dinobots are pretty nice.

19. Ozil

Ozil Commander

News Credits:
    Yeah to me, there’s no who’s better. They are both great companies who are producing quality legends scale figures. The DX9 WiP Dinobots are the best legends scale Dinobots. DX9 also has excellent g1 representations of the jets and Soundwave. Generation Toy leader set is great for Prime and Megatron. IF has a great Shockwave, Windblade, Ultra Magnus and the car bots. You can build an awesome collection

• Like Like x 2
  20. Weezie

Weezie Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They are stylised/comic book inspired (IF) vs. very G1 faithful (DX9). It depends it what your preference is. Mine is G1 so I'd lean towards WIP stuff. Why not get both, they're cheap enough.