Iron Factory IF EX-31 Dubhe (Tarn)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Kuma Style, Jan 15, 2019.

1. nacho

nacho Well-Known Member

I just opened my Tarn this morning (bought from BBTS), and after a tiny drop of silicone belt oil on each, the shoulders are 100% smooth as butter. They move easily but still hold the pose. I'm not likely to transform him (I rarely do anyway), but I think I successfully avoided any kind of stress or breakage. It didn't take much.

Sooooo thanks to all the people who broke theirs as a warning to others o_O  I hope they are able to provide suitable replacement parts for the unfortunate ones. He's cool, but I do hope MFT are going to knock-up the mold to go with my growing legends+ collection too.

• Like Like x 6
  2. lilcarus

lilcarus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i heard that outside of the few replacements parts that will be shipped out. IF wont be doing anything soon to address this tarn issue.

but there will be a new arm or arm assembly for him that will be included with one of the other DJD members. apparently it might have been just too much of a hassle to get them out now.

but at least there is a solution on the horizon.

• Like Like x 1
  3. LazyAza

LazyAza MMC color go brrrr

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Update on my personal situation with this guy: AR got me an entirely new arm in from IF and its coming with the side purple piece for him too. So yay I'll be able to unscrew his back and swap the whole assembly out.

But they're going to ship it with my next AR order. Is kinda pointless to have one tiny arm put in the mail haha so I guess now its a wait to see what it comes with and I'll finally be able to review this guy my goodness he's sat on my shelf untouched for weeks. :lol 

Good to know they're addressing this professionally and going to put spare arms in with one of the future releases. Nice stuff there IF. If all is well with Phecda and Mizar I'll be more readily willing to order the big guys. I have heard plenty of good things about their recently released Mirage and Megs but I mostly want their hound hope he's also really nice.

• Like Like x 1
  4. lilcarus

News Credits:
    yeah, megatron is a cool bot. but mirage is simply fantastic and the fit and finish on him makes for smoothest IF bot i have ever seen.

• Like Like x 3
  5. IronMagnus

IronMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How are the rubber wheels?

6. lilcarus

News Credits:
    the rubber on wheels are nice and tight. if you have an otterbox on your phone that is what the wheels remind me of. i dont get the impression that they will stretch out and deteriorate over time.

7. chuckcjc

chuckcjc Wheeljack Engineer Corp.

News Credits:
    Where did you get this silicone belt oil? My replacement turn came in today, and his right shoulder is tight as hell but at least it’s not broken out of the box.

8. nacho

nacho Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 4
  9. VelsR

VelsR Ancient of War

News Credits:
    All these comments on the "right arm"...

Gingerly moves the right arm, and found it easy and smooth. So happy...

Proceeds to move the left arm... and can't.

Damn it.

• Like Like x 3
  10. lilcarus

News Credits:
    i personally wouldn't worry about the arms much. the newer version of arms or whatever is about to be released shortly so at this point it is not a biggie.

11. chuckcjc

chuckcjc Wheeljack Engineer Corp.

News Credits:
    Newer version of the arms? Can you provide more detail please?

• Like Like x 2
  12. lilcarus

News Credits:
    the owner of IF is planning a release of the new and improved shoulder joint assembly. i don't what all that will be as it could be the whole assembly with arms and all or just the tougher joints swing arm.

but either way they wanted to get them out asap. only there was no way it could be done on such a large scale with the short time they had before CNY.

so it got pushed back to being tossed in with one of the next djd releases. i am hoping it is vos since i really want him no matter what. the others not so much but it is what it is. i am just happy a fix is coming.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Nek0gami

Nek0gami New Member

Do you have any actual link or proof of this? I stupidly decided to get Tarn and eventually the rest rather than Mastermind's Carnifex and I'm already loathing the amount of manual 'shipping back' and then getting new parts and all this other slag for something that should have been tested before that figure ever left a testing phase!

• Like Like x 2
  14. VelsR

VelsR Ancient of War

News Credits:
    Puts a drop of sewing machine oil on the ball joint...

godamnit it flows everywhere where's the tissue and cotton balls damn it damn it damn it how did it even get underneath the face mask

Well, it's still very squeeky but at least the arm can move now

• Like Like x 1
  15. JJJ

JJJ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have just received my tiny Tarn. Gingerly removed him from the clamshell, very gently poked at the arm... Nothing. No movement. Tried a teensy bit harder - still no go. Will be getting some lubricant after work today.

Oh, and the left arm is just as stiff too.

16. JJJ

JJJ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well damn, that stuff's good. The left arm turned out not to be as stiff as I thought, but I oiled it anyway (I ended up oiling most of the joints and pins on this figure - bad QC indeed), and it is now rather smooth (although it still catches initially).

The right arm didn't want to move even after oiling, so I added more and then ignored it. Started following the instructions to see if I could work out the trick of transforming the treads before swinging the thin oh-so-snappable armature out of the body housing. Worked that out after a while, but in doing so I kind of lost track of which bits I was moving... Stopped to look at what I was doing for a moment, and realised that the arm I had just brushed smoothly out of the way to get to another bit was the one on the right!

Managed to transform it and back without any problems, but I just can't see myself transforming Tarn very much because of this stiffness.

17. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    Yeah, @lilcarus , where'd you get the scoop on this? I went through their entire weibo page, and despite a video from them showing how to get the joint moving, and lots of comments from upset people with broken Tarns, I saw nothing from IF saying "be cool, better arms are coming".

It's not that I doubt you, it's that I hope you're right. I have a pissed off 10 yr old here who's a little miffed that I won't let him buy something that appears is just going to end up broken right away.

• Like Like x 2
  18. VelsR

VelsR Ancient of War

News Credits:
    "It was him, dad! He broke my arm!"

WhatsApp Image 2019-03-14 at 10.07.20 PM.jpeg

• Like Like x 12
  19. WNDCHRGR

WNDCHRGR TFW2005 Supporter

JUST LIKE BUTTER!!!...…..got Tarn today, earlier this week I was ordering some IDW books on amazon anyways so threw in the silicone you linked. Big thx to everyone posting this issue and major props to Nacho. I started with the left arm and put 1 or 2 drops on the outer part of the ball joint (furthest from body), held it sideways for a few seconds to let it sink in, made a little snap (from friction not breakage) and then moved like silk after that. Maybe it would of been OK anyway, but definitely smoother. Did the same thing with the right arm and almost broke it off. As soon as I tried to move the right arm it just didn't feel right. But luckily I stopped in time. I just finished a long day of work, not really tired, but just kind of impatient, so I didn't read the instructions or watch a review first. If you haven't been following this figure too closely like me (or maybe just plain dumb like me) the arm assembly swings down during transformation (right away I could see all the stress marks I just made) and you can hit much more of the balljoint from the inner part (closest to the body). If your copy is like my copy, you don't even want to try and move the right arm till you hit the inner side. As soon as I applied it to the inner side of the balljoint, it went from unmovable to smooth...….JUST LIKE BUTTER!!!

• Like Like x 2
  20. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was all ready to bust out the hobby grease out for this guy, but the one I got in from BBTS a month or so ago was just fine straight out of the box. Nothing squeaky, no cracking, and nothing seemed overly tight.

• Like Like x 1