Ip Man 4: The Finale

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by areaseven, Nov 7, 2019.

1. areaseven

areaseven Live to Win

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Ip Man 4: The Finale is the fourth installment of the Ip Man film series starring Donnie Yen as the legendary Wing Chun grandmaster. The film also stars Danny Chan Kwok-kwan (Empty Hand in Shaolin Soccer) as Bruce Lee (a role he previously played in The Legend of Bruce Lee) and Scott Adkins (Yuri Boyka in the Undisputed series, Casey in the Ninja series).

The film premieres in China, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, and Indonesia on December 20.

• Like Like x 1
  2. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    Man... they're on the 4th one now? I just watched the 1st one the other day.

3. Metroplex79

Metroplex79 Hey mouse, say cheese!

Just got from the theater. Needed to use up my free movie coupon as it expired today. It was this or Star Wars Ep 9.

Great movie. Not sure how it ranks up with the other 3, I've not watch any of the others in their entirety. Obviously going to have to do that.

Anyone in the San Francisco area able to confirm how well (or stretched) this fits in the historical context? Or was it pure fiction?

4. Sky Ray

Sky Ray Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Donnie Yen Ip Man films are pretty heavily fictionalized.

Check this article out, pretty good overview of all the modern Ip Man films made:
    Ip Man: The Man, The Myth, The Movies

This collage best summarizes everything:

[​IMG]

I have seen all three of Donnie Yen's Ip Man, Anthony Wong Ip Man and the Tony Leung Ip Man.
    I personally liked the Anthony Wong Ip Man more, it felt more realistic in his portrayal. The first film of the Donnie Yen version is perfect for sure, but the next two are just fluff and is really stretching it in terms of historical accuracy. The Tony Leung version was kinda boring, granted I watched the editted version done by the Weinstein Company, but it's a Wong Kar Wai production and it really comes off more like a "In the Mood for Wing Chun" to me.

I will be watching Ip Man 4 next.

5. sifu74

sifu74 Banned

News Credits:
    Saw ip4, wonder why all the white actors are so bad? Even Adkins dialed up the cheese!
    Also, the movie was so preachy...I'm Chinese and I felt uncomfortable for the pale faces(you'll get it if you saw it):D 

6. Psychoshi

Psychoshi Grammaton Cleric

I just saw it last night. Yeahhh.... I knew ahead of time from reading reviews that the caucasians are all depicted as A-holes. One could argue that back in that time period, the racism was very severe.

But man, the hammy acting!

The goofiest thing about Adkins, character, is that he is so anti-chinese and pro-america, yet he is all about that Karate.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020