Interesting time-travel features (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by QLRformer, Jun 7, 2014.

1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Time travel is the ultimate reset button, the ultimate fork in the road, the ultimate paradox, and all three. So it’s made for a great plot device to use in storytelling, as recent films have shown (DOFP, EDGE OF TOMORROW).
    What have been your favourite or most intriguing features (films, shows, etc) that majorly concern time travel? Obvious spoilers are going to abound, but anyway...

The Time Machine – H.G. Wells, thank you for making the concept of time travel. This 1960 adaptation may perhaps be the first ever feature that features travelling to the future and finding out that things get really messed up. It was more thrills rather than anything too theoretical, but still it was quite

Somewhere in Time – perhaps the most romantic time travel film and the most tightly-written ever, because nothing changes at all. When a young man in 1980 travels to 1912 and meets an actress, it’s true love.
    Both die in the end unfortunately: he gets sucked back to his own time, breaking his love’s spirit and making her live alone her whole life, while the time travel ends up draining his body of all life. But they are reunited in Heaven, so it’s a happy ending after all.

Back to the Future – a classic adventure comedy about a kid who ends up in the 1950s and causes his mother to fall in love with him. MJ Fox and Christopher Lloyd are awesome and lovable as they simultaneously alter and repair time. And their time machine is awesome! (I’ve always thought Wheeljack would make a great DeLorean)

Men in Black 3 – A secret agent goes back in time to stop his senior partner from getting assassinated. It’s a lot like DAYS OF FUTURE PAST, except it’s a little more humorous, and in a sense a lot sadder
    considering that the partner had in fact gotten the agent’s dad killed as a young boy and had to wipe his memory to spare him the pain

Gozensosama Banbanzai – an anime by GHOST IN THE SHELL/PATLABOR creator Mamoru Oshii. It’s about a teenager, Inumaru Yomota, who gets a visit from Maroko, his granddaughter from the future; in pursuit of Maroko is a special agent who doesn’t want the visit to happen.
    With good reason: it turns out that Inumaru thought Maroko was a loon, so he seduced her with the excuse of familial duty, and the act of incest had birthed the agent, Maroko’s father. The story ends with the agent committing suicide because he couldn’t prevent his own conception, Maroko running off in shame back to the future, and Inumaru heartbroken because he’d fallen in love with Maroko for real.
    Bizarre stuff.

Mr Peabody and Sherman – a cartoon film about two time-travellers. Obviously things are toned down and humorous, but the film does credit for showing an actual time smash happen from a character’s past and future selves making contact.

Quantum Leap – The Incredible Hulk, only instead of becoming big and green the dude leaps into the body of whichever poor soul is in peril. Still it’s a great show, just as good as UK’s DR WHO.

Does anyone have any interesting time-travel features to recommend?

2. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Steins;Gate - anime about a mad scientist wannabe who inadvertently discovers time travel using his phone to send texts and jump in to different world lines.

this IMO is probably one of the all time best shows I've seen, I don't believe I'm describing it correctly.

3. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Timecop.

Discussion over.

4. strangeguy32000

strangeguy32000 Well-Known Member

Godzilla vs King Ghidorah.
    The Time Travel isn't depicted in a realistic manner, (They still refer to Godzilla in the past tense in the timeline where Castle Bravo [the 1954 H-bomb] creates King Ghidorah instead of Godzilla), but its still a fun movie.

5. Puck Hockey

Puck Hockey Well-Known Member

i like looper it was really good

6. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

time travel movies i liked;
    edge of tomorrow
    days of future past
    terminator
    looper
    Kim Possible: A Sitch in Time
    Mr. Peabody & Sherman
    Army of Darkness

anyone ever see that time traveling found footage film?

7. thatonefoo

thatonefoo Decepticon

News Credits:
    Microwaves, Braun Tube TV, Large Hadron Collider, IBM Computer, a few texts, and the minds of a group of very smart people erupt in a time travel masterpiece.

Days of Future Past uses similar concepts but the science of Steins;Gate is believable and makes sense.

8. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Back to the Future: best time travel movie series ever.

Final Countdown is a pretty good movie. Nothing is changed in the timeline. There is something in the beginning of the movie that was that shows that the time trip that is coming up already happened to that person/item.

9. Macross7

News Credits:
    What was it called?

I've seen those Youtube videos that people try to claim is evidence of a time traveler. A lady walks by holding what looks like a cell phone (I think 1930s). Some class of kids and it looks like a girl has a laptop.

10. thatonefoo

thatonefoo Decepticon

News Credits:
    Donnie Darko is also brilliant.

11. Dolza_Khyron

after googling it; it WAS welcome to yesterday.

but now it is Project Almanac; and it apparently has been pushed back to Jan 30th, 2015. meaning it's shit, and Paramount knows it. so they dropped it off into the dump that is January. :lol 

12. allew

allew Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Movies with a time travel theme that I liked

12 Monkeys
    Donnie Darko
    Star Trek IV
    Groundhog Day
    Time Crimes
    Source Code
    Peggy Sue Got Married
    The Time Machine (original, haven't seen 2002 movie)
    Time Bandits
    Back to the Future Trilogy
    Terminator 1-2
    Triangle
    Run Lola Run (more parallel timelines than time travel)

13. Macross7

News Credits:
    Just watched the trailer for it. Worth a rental. Although a simple solution for their issue is just go back and destroy the time machine before they found it. Paradoxes galore!

14. Dolza_Khyron

they should go back in time and kill the inventor before inventing it.

aka his dad. *i think?* before he was born.

and then let's see what happens.

15. TFGrace13

TFGrace13 Tu fui, ego eris.

Steins;Gate is truly amazing. I can say without a doubt that it's my number one anime. I liked the fact that they weren't actually using "time travel" in the conventional sense. Rather, they used the many-worlds interpretation: history is made up of an endless number of branching universe of every possibility imaginable. It's similar to the Schroedinger's Cat theory. It basically says that all choices and outcomes of decisions that people make exist at the same time, on different world lines, and continue to coexist until a decision is made, which jumps the person to another world line. However, even though the person chose a over b, the opposite choice still exists, and was made on a different world line at the same time. Steins;Gate played around with the idea of sending memories back into the past (I.e. jumping to another world line) instead of physically traveling backward in time.

It's confusing, but interesting to try to wrap your mind around. How Okabe accidentally did this with a cell phone and a microwave is beyond me. :lol 

16. Macross7

News Credits:
    Of course that would really alter things. It seems things are changing because of them going through time. If they hadn't used it, everything would be as they remember it.

I think Austin Powers just went cross-eyed with time travel theories. :D 

17. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    12 Monkeys is another good one that hasn't already been listed in this thread.

18. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

About Time was a good rom-com, that was about time travel.

19. Shortwave

Shortwave Autobot fembot

Apex. yeah it suks but its still adecent 80s shlock
    Terminator
    Philedelphia experement. where a 1980s warship winds up in WW2.
    The time tunnel 1960s time travel tv show basicaly Quantumleap in the 60s.

to note there is rumours of amovie being made of a book where a 1990s American town winds up in 1600s Europe.

20. Shortwave

Shortwave Autobot fembot

random paradox for you. i place a postit with the word time machien on a Bmx is said Bmx a time machien?