Instead of slaughtering most of the 84-85 cast in TF:M...

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Excelsior Prime, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    Yeah, one could argue in favor of Galvatron and co. that his personality and name changes are enough to consider him an entirely new character; this stands even more true for Scourge and Cyclonus, who are so different to the characters they were rebuilt from that I can't even remember who became who.

Introducing a character a whole year before his toy actually hit the shelves? :O

If you need any evidence to back this, just watch Dragonball Z.

2. SMS55

SMS55 Well-Known Member

I have to disagree with you. The death of Optimus received such a backlash that it altered the G.I. Joe movie. The return of Optimus was done because of the loss in viewership, but it was too late as eventually G-1 was pulled. Hasbro underestimated the attachment people had to these characters. A few deaths would have been ok to introduce new characters but perhaps some redesigns while maintaining the personality of the character would have been better.

3. Buster_Witwicky

Buster_Witwicky ALL HAIL KORROK

I admit they could've done something better with Optimus seeing as many of the fans were children. Taking the toy off the shelves was a big mistake, they could've just done a reissue that came with the Matrix.

Another problem was that Hot Rod was an entirely new character. His history with Optimus Prime was only implied due to the timeskip. It would've made more sense to focus on Bumblebee, who the audience knows is prone to mistakes and who already has a relationship built with Prime. I'm not sure about the whole Volkswagen thing at that time, but they could still make a new mold for him since he was only a Mini-bot in G1. Bumblebee was the character kids could relate to. Him accepting the death of his leader, the death of the man he looks up to, would help kids get through it as well.

I could go on about Bumblebee, but that's not the point. Optimus Prime getting resurrected is on thing, he's the Matrix-bearer, the iconic Transformer, the person kids aspired to be. Ironhide, Wheeljack, as likable as all those guys were they were supporting characters. They were not Optimus Prime. The idea of them being brought back to life utterly destroys the impact of death.

4. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wonder if the complaints over the deaths of favorite G1 characters since their toy was no longer sold is what lead to Beast Wars going with the 'upgrade route'. Season 3 was already well into production & the show was soon canceled so they couldn't really upgrade many. Bumblebee stands out as a popular character whose toy was off shelves & got turned into the new toy of Goldbug instead of dying. Almost ever series since has had characters getting upgraded to new toys. Rattrap's toy gone, well he's still around as this new toy.

5. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    The complaints led to Hasbro releasing new toys of existing characters with existing names period.

Powermaster Optimus Prime, Classic Pretenders, Action Masters, Generation 2, the list goes on and on and on.

Before the reactions to TF:TM, Hasbro viewed "characters" as exchangeable marketing tools. They did NOT view "Optimus Prime" as a character. They viewed him as a product. Out with the old, in with the new.

The backlash following TF:TM changed that attitude.

6. vmagnum

vmagnum Horrorcon

Aha. I see where this is heading..you're that typical Powermaster lover that you wished prime was in G1 cartoon (I'm here heyyaaa) My two cents? Sadly, the powermaster concept was way later than that, and somehow they feel that death gives that extra nudge to the viewers

7. StarSaber79

StarSaber79 Banned

News Credits:
    I think its fine that they jsut killed them off. It is better that way in my opinion. I prefer Rodimus to Optimus anwyays.

8. Excelsior Prime

Excelsior Prime Autobot Leader

Kindly explain HOW Rodimus Prime is a "far more interesting" character.

He's got some angst, but angst does not an interesting character make.

9. Nevermore

News Credits:
    Whereas Optimus being basically the flawless father figure leader makes him more interesting... how?

10. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

Did Powermaster Optimus not come out until after Rebirth aired? I didn't realize that. I would've been like 6 or 7 years old when Rebirth aired. I still think that it would've been cool to have PM Optimus featured in the series though.

11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Because they didn't think of the toys as characters back then.

12. Nevermore

News Credits:
    Rebirth aired in 1987.

Powermasters weren't released until 1988.

13. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    I was watching G1 on TV when it was first shown in my country and had Transformers like Siren, Nightbeat, Powermaster Optimus Prime, Getaway, Guzzle, Grimlock, and many Micromasters and the only one appearing on TV was Grimlock. :( 

14. Nevermore

News Credits:
    Well, to be fair, the German airing schedule of G1 was... weird.

15. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    Yes. It was completely mixed so you actually thought it was like having a Team of Autobots on Earth and one on Cybertron and with leaving out the movie until 1994 the only time you saw Optimus die was in that season 3 episode. And I thought all the time that Rodimus Prime was the son of Optimus Prime, because they had the same surname. And I wondered why there was another Autobot looking similar to Rodimus, named Hot Rod :lol 

But it somehow worked. It was actually more interesting that way, but I always preferred the episodes featuring Cybertron and the origins of the Transformers and the Quintessons.

I think it proves that Hasbro could have handled the whole thing differently.

edit:
    And you had two groups of Decepticons, the ones lead by Megatron and the ones led by Galvatron. And suddenly Starscream is a ghost and you don't know why. RTL really messed with our little minds that way they aired the episodes randomly and left out some episodes and the movie ;) 

And how I always wondered if that flying head around Cybertron named Unicron once had a body or not... and why it is not always floating around Cybertron...

16. Nevermore

News Credits:
    Well, i knew that those "space" episodes were set after the "Earth" episodes, of which we only ever got to see six, and the comics filled in some gaps, but...

I and the boys I talked to all assumed that Rodimus and Optimus were brothers. I never realized that Hot Rod was slightly different in "Dark Awakening" and "The Rebirth", I was just confused why he sometimes was a sleek racer car and sometimes he was this bulky vehicle. I either thought it was an animation error, or the extra compartment was optional.

I realized that Galvatron was separate from Megatron (and at least from the comics, I learned that he was the same guy, changed by Unicron), but for a long time I assumed that Starscream "died" when Megatron ripped out his innards in "Hoist Goes Hollywood".

They left out most of season 1 and 2!

Again, the comics filled in some of the gaps for me.

17. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    The real tragedy is that the Optimus Prime of the Marvel comics was just angsty - yet everyone praised him for it!

Still, Star Saber makes Optimus look like Rodimus. *shudder*

18. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    I prefer the characters dieing and new ones being introduced. Makes the dangers the characters are facing feel so much worse and makes the universe they live in that much larger.

19. Feralstorm

Feralstorm To Infinity - and Your Mom TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If Hasbro had the benefit of a hindsight-assisted "do-over" in 85-86, They probably would have gone the upgrade route over the kill-and-replace, because...

One thing people probably should keep in mind is the whole "merchandise-based kids cartoon to sell our stuff" thing was in its infancy in the eighties, broadcasting rule changes only recently making such programs possible in that form. Adding "the movie" on top of that was a similarly infant idea. The toy companies and their hired writers were still feeling out what worked and what didn't with making a piece of media that functions effectively for advertising an evolving toy line while being entertaining enough to keep an audience to sell stuff to.

20. Excelsior Prime

Excelsior Prime Autobot Leader

Optimus wasn't flawless. He was, however, confident, self-assured, and courageous.

Optimus Prime was inspirational. He was a role model, and I don't see how a role model can ever be boring.

I started watching "Five Faces of Darkness" for the first time since I saw it when it originally aired. I can't believe how horribly characterized Rodimus is. He lets Springer and Arcee go after his missing friends, and just stands there, whining: "Why did I have to be the Chosen One?"

Maybe it's just me, but I don't find indecision and angst interesting, and while I know the point was to give us a leader who was new at being a leader was the point, the execution was sorely lacking.