Fan Art: Inspiration: Where Do You Get Yours?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Superquad7, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Hey illustrators, I just thought I'd start a discussion about who some of our favorite artists are. Feel free to post any illustrator that is a TF artist and also any of your non-TF artists as well :)  Also, feel free to provide samples of the artists in question.

Go!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  2. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    A lot of my inspiration comes from the old school Marvel G1 artists like Geoff Senior, Lee Sullivan and especially Andy Wildman. Design wise, people like Syd Mead, Ron Cobb & Ron Thornton have been huge influences (especially Ron Thornton; he's the whole reason I chose to learn Lightwave, after seeing Babylon 5 back in the 90s).
    As far as fan artists go, I'd say the biggest influence on me would have to be Mako (Macraptron) - it was seeing his artwork online that first prompted me to send pics in to a couple of little sites, and then to start posting here. So if it hadn't been for him I probably wouldn't have bothered! :) 

3. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Draven, I'm not sure if you read my interview during November when the Radicons featured me, but I cited you as one of my inspirations. Your work is phenominal, and I've always enjoyed your renders. :thumb 

I also agree on MACRAPTRON. His Classics Starscream that was featured in the Club mag as the profile artwork is tops in my book. :) 

4. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    That's incredibly flattering, man. Thank you :) 

5. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    You're one of many artists who not only create quality TF artwork, but you've been doing so for many years. I also remembered the day when you changed your sig to your current "Megs" sig and thought, "wow, that's just cool," I love when I see artwork that evokes that feeling. :thumb 

6. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I have a feeling this will turn into a really cool thread. Good idea! I agree that Draven's stuff is awesome, I'll never forget when I was a newb and first saw his Shockwave render. I just sat and stared for a good long while.

7. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Apparently, myself, Draven, and REDLINE are the only illustrators who care to contribute to this thread(?).

8. cromagnus

cromagnus B-boy rumble

James Raiz' TF work has always been a big inspiration. I think Guido Guidi and marcelo matere are my hands down biggest inspiration in the TF art world.
    The painters egon schiele and Lautrec and degas and the printmakers goya, yoshitoshi, kunioshi and hokusai all played a big part in shaping my aesthetic.
    James Jean(Fables) just finished his first solo show and his work is incredible.

9. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Wow, Raiz is an interesting inspiration, and I have to say I've enjoyed his work as well. Guido and Marcelo both are really fine illustrators, and I must admit to being actively influenced by them as well. EJ Su continually fuels my inspiration as well :) 

I had a professor in college (art history) who was a huge Schiele fan. I think the closest I'll go to being influenced by him is indirectly with Aeon Flux. Many of those Eastern prints are simply lovely, though. Printmaking in general is utterly . . . fun :) 

When I get time, I'm going to research each of the artists you've mentioned. One of the things I'm hoping for this thread is not only a lively discussion, but also a resource for others. It's just as easy to become uninspired as it is to become inspired, I've found. Sometimes, all I've needed is a good Google search query, and I'm all set :)  Thanks for posting, Radicon cromagnus! :thumb