Insane scalper prices thread.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by mn_128875, Jun 27, 2021.

1. OmegaTaco Supreme

OmegaTaco Supreme Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb

Could be someones Significant Other said you need to sell these toys. Put them on Ebay for a astronomical price to never sell. Sorry honey...no one wants to buy them.

• Like Like x 10
  2. ar78

ar78 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You've got to be careful with Ollie's Bargain Outlet. Sometimes the employees put the wrong price stickers on toys.

I went to an Ollie's last week and they had a few pegs of MicroMasters stuck with the $26 price stickers they were using for Leader Class toys. Since Ollie's scans the stickers, that is the price they show up for at the register. I brought up the mistake to the manager, but he didn't seem to interested in fixing it.

$26 for a MicroMaster pack that should be selling for $5 at Ollie's is crazy.

• Like Like x 1
  3. fanbase0000

fanbase0000 Well-Known Member

I’ve seen that a lot at Ollie’s. I got lucky a couple of times there and got 1 ER Optimus prime and 2 Siege Doubledealer for $10 each.

• Like Like x 2
  4. BlastOff682

BlastOff682 Well-Known Member

Screenshot_20220525-111535_Google.jpg

Was looking for a G1 Cosmos and found this. That's ridiculous for a G1 Minibot. O-o

• Like Like x 3
  5. scuffed up rts bumblebee

scuffed up rts bumblebee #Justice4Chopter Trench's#1Fan

Ah yes, we're on our 5th, 6th(?) run of Bumblebee but Ironhide still has only one release

• Like Like x 1
  6. R3M1NGT0N

R3M1NGT0N Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    One obscure and limited release at that. Never made it to retail in my area and don’t think I ever saw it at retail price online either. Was always $5-20 above MSRP online from what I remember.

• Like Like x 2
  7. gibdozer

gibdozer Censored

I agree when figures are readily available for a reasonable period of time at or near msrp people have no grounds to complain. That's not what I generally see people bitching about though. What I see is not being able to get the exclusives that are core cast members, that's a pretty legit gripe imo.

I don't even care about the Medic figure, but I should've been able to get the Coneheads... I'm fine living without them, it's not a big deal, but It really shouldn't happen. Hasbro loses potential sales and fans miss out on toys. Its a loss for everyone but scalpers.

As for stuff you've got in storage. Who's begrudging anyone for that? On older toys the market is the market. I don't see it as scalping when scarcity occurs naturally rather than artificially.

8. volatus

volatus Cat Herder

Right. The complaint is when the guy who is the son of the President of the company sets up bots and uses the company's line of credit and buys dozens or hundreds of a limited-release item and then resells them immediately for 300%-1000% markups. It's a very different situation from the average collector buying 1 or 2 duplicates to keep or resell later, or someone like RKillian buying bulk stock in full cases for their shop (or even as an investment). The difference is, those folks are not depriving others of a purchase opportunity by using bots, website exploits, or "fuck you" levels of capital at their disposal. Though they do contribute to items eventually selling out, they do so fairly, and any one of us could have done the same thing. They are just leveraging their knowledge and their capital and making a purchase, and what they do with the item after that does become their own business. I do admit I'd love a chance to go shopping in RKillian's basement, heh heh.

This is my choice and my business, but personally my policy with buying duplicates of exclusive items sold on Hasbro Pulse is, I don't buy the duplicate until a little while after the premium window expires. Since it's free shipping, ordering 2 of the same items as separate orders doesn't cost me any extra.

The best way to defeat "scalper prices" is to not pay prices you don't consider acceptable. Because if you pay them, you are loudly declaring "this price is accceptable to me." no one hears the other static you might also make at the same time. They just hear "KACHING" and it drowns out the complaining nicely, believe me.

• Like Like x 7
  9. Aleydarogue

Aleydarogue Oh Hi!

This!!!! I can go without if need be. sure I don't have a thrust but I don't need him bad enough to warrant that price. Sadly there will always be someone desperate enough or has just that much money to throw around that scalpers will always win.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Wheeljack1984

Wheeljack1984 Transformers fan since 1984

Ebay:
    Especially when he's going for about $18-$20.

ebay screenshot.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  11. maloney4playz

maloney4playz God's Strongest Broadside hater

News Credits:
    i saw the reverse to most of these: a TR twin twist and top spin lot for $20 aud

• Like Like x 1
  12. seasprag

seasprag Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    studio series scalping continues to puzzle me, namely how hard it is to find any sort of bumblebee or optimus for not obscene prices, given they both have oodles and oodles of toys youd think at least a repaint or two would go for less than 30(bb)~50(op)

• Like Like x 1
  13. DubV

DubV Lighten up, Francis.

News Credits:
    You’ve been to Juegetón in El Salvador as well, I see. Prices are double the US on everything. $50 for a Marvel toy, $110 for Slag (seen him in both the ones I’ve been in). I did toss em $10 for a Siege Battlemaster though.

14. Bubbahearth

Bubbahearth Well-Known Member

Just two things to note after I dove deep into selling off a lifetime of collectibles on eBay this year:

Zero feedback bots frequently win my auctions, and sometimes get into bidding wars with each other. They don't care what the final value is, because they're just going to send you a fake Paypal invoice saying they paid, and hope you send the item to them. This drives up the average selling prices that you'll see. There seem to be key items or keywords that they search out. For example I had one item that "sold" at least 5 times which I had to keep relisting until I got a real person winning.

Second, people will pay exorbitant prices for things that haven't been widely distributed YET. Not only is there a late tax, but there's an early tax too.

• Like Like x 2
  15. OptimusTarzan

OptimusTarzan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You can restrict buyers with zero feedback.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Legion9186

Legion9186 Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    Are you from El Salvador too?
    I wonder if people here actually pay this prices for the marvel and transformers stuff, I get things so much cheaper by buying on BBTS and and then ship a huge POL, I end up paying like $7 shipping for each item.

• Like Like x 1
  17. galen

galen Well-Known Member

Been looking for Earthrise Dirge and Ramjet, what's a good price for this. local seller was selling $235, i was expecting lower than eBay because it would be a meet-up. What's a good price for this.

18. Quippy

Quippy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Unfortunately, 100-150 is decent for this set.

• Like Like x 2
  19. DubV

DubV Lighten up, Francis.

News Credits:
    No, sir, just visit 1-2 times each year (wife from El Salvador). If you ever need a bot from the US that you can’t get from BBTS (like Walmart/Walgreens exclusives, etc) give me a yell and if I can find them then I’d be happy to bring them down next time we come and meet you somewhere (like Chapultepec. I love them $1.50 burritos)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Starpilot949

Starpilot949 "This is where the transformers fun begins"

News Credits:
    Since the cone heads were not onlyllimited release but also Amazon exclusives and some were lost to COVID and shipping boats, I'd say 150-200 is s decent price. Maybe you might try trading to lower the price?

• Like Like x 1