Inevitability: Microsoft hit with Class Action Lawsuit over Live woes

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Blackstar, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Blackstar

Blackstar TFW2005 Supporter

2. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I'd be pretty damn pissed too if I payed for a subscription service and was unable to use it.

Would also just like to chime in and say that Microsoft really should just drop the Gold crap and what not. LIVE is the only service you currently have to pay to use as far as online for consoles go..it's just kinda silly.

So yeah, doesn't surprise me at all...

3. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

if people have to pay for something they want it to work. it's not like it's the nintendo wfc where it's free. xbox live is part of what keeps me from getting a 360... i don't want to have to pay to play something i already bought.

4. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Over reaction totale.

5. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

WTF???

This is just like when cable TV, telephone or even electrical service goes out, sometimes things go wrong, hell there are times shit happens, I can't believe people would go as far as to file a lawsuit over this.

6. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

having worked for a cable provider's service department, i've had people threaten me physical harm due to 15 minute outages. they'll threaten you when they break their own stuff. they're idiots. i hate people. gah, flashbacks!!!!

7. viper2391

viper2391 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Coz they know Microsoft has a lot of money.

8. Lord Megatron

Lord Megatron FFFF

What I would have as Microsoft's response: "Fuck you. Sometimes shit doesn't work, and you need to get over it."

or, more polite: "Relax, bra! We're fixing the problem as we speak. Sometimes servers get overloaded, and that causes problems with the system. Just relax. Take a deep breath, sir. In, *inhale*, and out. *exhale* Feel better? No? See above answer."

9. Blackstar

Blackstar TFW2005 Supporter

They shouldn't even have to give you something free just because it's been down for a week or so either, they should just add the weeks onto the existing account and be done with it.

10. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

Yeah, I totally expected to get a free month out of the whole ordeal, but instead they're giving us a free arcade game. Smart on their part, but people are still going to bitch.

11. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Hmm....free arcade game you say? My gold ran out on the 27th, wonder if that'll apply to me too.

12. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Microsoft

Regardless of what Microsoft says on paper, it is irresponsible to claim you have a service and not provide it. there must be thousands of kids in the US who saved countless months to buy this system, and to be cheated out of THEIR hard earned money. IF these people have money to blow on a lawsuit, so be it, as long as they can help to represent the "little guy" who could not afford to bring this matter to light.

13. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I'm not familiar with the Terms of Service that people agree to when they subscribe to Xbox Live. I don't particularly care to find and read them. However, since these people hired an attorney for this class-action lawsuit, I assume that, given that the attorney is competent, he reviewed the TOS before filing this lawsuit. Therefore, I assume that Microsoft makes certain guarantees about uptime and compensation in the event of downtime. (If memory serves, the TOS for Blizzard's World of Warcraft specifies that there is scheduled downtime every Tuesday and any downtime other than that is credited back to everyone's accounts.) Therefore, I assume that Microsoft is mishandling the situation.

I expect that Microsoft will probably settle this out of court, rather than go through a court battle. And since it's a class action, everyone who subscribes to Xbox Live will benefit.

14. WTF2005

WTF2005 Chaos Commander

I sympathize. My account has been FUBAR for a week+ now. That's not cool. I don't want a dumb download - I wanna play! :eek: 
    But truth be told, I think they had this coming for their level of service. Especially when the support section of xbox.com says that live is up and running (hyping me up), then finding out that ONLY some accounts work while others don't. I mean its not a problem that something went wrong (stuff happens) but when they say they fix something and its not its really frustrating, time consuming, and anger. P.S. Its time consuming because I need to retrieve my profile but I am unable to.

15. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

Uh wow... Some people really need to calm down. MMORPGs go down every week for maintenance and almost no one complains about that. If a server goes down, no one threatens with law suits, no one over re-acts. If servers go down for a while, the companies will normally give their players free days.

The way many of these Xbox Live players act, they REALLY need to take a break from that online service.

16. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

I'm sorry.. but 13 cents a day is -not- worth suing over. They are greedy. Simple as that.

17. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Isnt this like the second or third lawsuit brought on by gamers against Microsoft?

18. Nexus Prime

Nexus Prime Creation is proof.

.... and to think this all started snowballing when some ditz poured coffee on her lap. Pointless lawsuits all around.

This was an annoyance, sure, but as long as Microsoft makes up with the free game, and doesn't give us another Yaris, I'll be happy.

A little dissapointing to hear that big old Microsoft didn't have the foresight to figure out that there would be a dramatic increase in Live new and old users around Christmas time. Maybe they need to start consulting psychic Silvia Brown.

19. kronos

kronos PSN = METROPLEX_84

News Credits:
    Its lawsuits like these that make me sick. I mean what the hell is the point. Sometimes in life things like this happen. You can either cancel the service and demand a refund or just grin and bear it. I mean seriously. Would these same people do this if say, their ISP was having issues. The internet is a tricky thing thats not as reliable as most would think. It simply is an unstable medium. And thease morons need to realize that.

And im all for the american way, but their needs to be done about all these pathetic lawsuits. I think that is someone brings up a frivelous lawsuit, like what were dealing with here, the person that makes the accusation should be fined ALL court costs if its proven to be so. I mean WTF, they think "hey lets just sue everyone and get millions of unearned money, screw everyone else this effects.". These types of lawsuits cause more damage than good. Loss of jobs, closing of companies, drain on tax dollars, and waste of time that could be used for REAL criminals.

20. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    It's technology...sometimes it gets "hiccups" and doesn't work properly. I understand people were frustrated not being able to get online to play their new game @ Christmas, but a law suit? Geez, some people just take things way to serious. Yeah yeah, I know we pay to play these games online and you want to get your money's worth, but do we all demand a refund or the equivilent when our power or cable goes out? No, most of us civil minded people realize that sometimes things happen beyond the servicer's control. The fact that Microsoft has acknowledged the problem and is offering some sort of peace offering is big on their part, at least IMO. I think these guys who brought on the law suit are just trying to profit from MS b/c they have deep pockets. Amazing what greed can do to people...