Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Prowl, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Anyone getting this tomorrow? If it's anything like the Xbox Indy game, I'd give it a shot, but I know nothing about it.

2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Why is it only coming out on crap systems? That raises a hell of a big red flag.

3. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    wait, so whatever happened to the sweet lookin Indiana Jones game that was comin out to next-gen systems? did it turn into this???

if so, that sux

4. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

yeah!

*grabs pitchfork*

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not saying it's good or it isn't, though I might post a review if I end up buying it, but judging it based on the fact that it's not going next gen is like saying anything not on PS3 or 360 sucks, and there are still games coming to PS2 that score well (Persona being one of them, and a new Silent Hill in the Fall). Just because an old system is still being supported for late adopters doesn't mean the games automatically suck. Besides, this one is coming to PSP also.

6. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    I will pick it up when I have some extra dosh... which won't be until August. Reviews be damned, it's Indy.

7. SoundMaster

SoundMaster Likes RID Bulkhead.

News Credits:
    It looks great. I will try to get it over the summer. This is the first game on the Wii I have had interest in since last year.

8. smangerbot

so.. what happened to the 'next gen' one that i was looking at screenshots of a month or so back?

9. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This happened.... Twin Twist's Profile - TFW2005 - The 2005 Boards

hehehe

I think they just canned them, maybe not enough interest, maybe they just didn't feel they could justify the added cost of a next gen game, if there wasn't enough interest.

10. smangerbot

wtf. they looked pretty good, and i can't see how they wouldn't sell....

11. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm still getting the PS2 version. I want some non-lego Indy goodness. Nothing against Lego, but I want a full Indiana Jones game with a new story and stuff.

12. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I thought the next gen Indy game was going to use the physics engine from Force Unleashed.

Damn you, Twin Twist, why did you have to cancel the new Indiana Jones game?
    Why?
    And why did you eat all the gummy bears?

13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That was the plan.... :(  If I get it this evening, I'll let you guys know what i think. It's pretty sad when Nathan Drake is taking us on the adventures Indy should be taking us on..... If they gave Indy to Naughty Dog, Holy Shit.

14. tentagil

tentagil Well-Known Member

Though I don't have a Wii anymore I hear the Wii version of this has the old Lucas Arts Indy adventure game as an unlockable which is pretty sweet. Kinda hoping the Monkey Island remake does well so they'll do the same with more of the old Lucasarts adventure games.

15. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just saw a trailer for the Wii version, and it looks like it uses the Wiimote for a lot of Whipping punching and torch swinging. It looks like a decent game, my concern is for the PS2/PSP version, but if they are based on the Wii game, it looks decent.

16. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bump.........

Don't say I don't love you guys or never do anything for you. Here is my official warning. Stay Away from this game. Can't speak for the DS version, but I know the Wii version is the same game but with Motion Controls. The PS2 version sucks and I can't imagine the PSP version being any better, to be honest. I tried really hard to be forgiving. I could hear the Williams music and I tried to make the controls work for me with every Indy punch and whip crack, but at the end of my play session, I had to pop in Uncharted to treat myself for this crap. Stick the old Xbox/PS2 indy, or simply Lego Indy because I couldn't find a single redeeming factor about this game. Fortunately it was free and I even got 10 bucks extra to pay off Ghostbusters, otherwise I'd feel the pain a bit more. I love Indy enough to buy a game blindly, so I'm here to tell all you other Indy-lovers that No! it's not even worth that. Or get the Wii version for the unlockable adventure game.

17. myhobby

myhobby Back From Outer Space

that's... disappointing.:( 
    any specifics?
    were the controls not well thought out?
    was it full of cheap deaths?
    were there hit detection problems?
    surly throwing an octopus at a bad guy's face has to be fun...

18. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well to elaborate. Yes, Cheap deaths because the fighting was very basic, and I mean very, so it's Punch Punch, but they punch you too, and you really don't lock on, so to position yourself away from the bad guys, you have to walk around and rotate the camera with your controller so you can see who your punching. The animation is really bad, especially when you whip something. I actually whipped a guy and pulled him towards me and he flew straight into the sky never to be seen again. There is no inverse to the gun fighting, and gun fighting is minigamish. That is, you can't draw your gun whenever you feel like it. There are instances during the very very linear gameplay where Indy will draw his gun and then it's a shooting gallery with a minimal attempt at a cover system (this is where you can't invert aiming controls). Definitely Hit detection issues, but also glitchy animations that made you think that the enemy was going to swing at you when in reality he was just popping in animation.

Keep in mind that these issues might be polished out in the Wii version since that one is likely to sell more. The Octopus scene in particular felt so cheap that my fiance asked what I had thrown at his face. One second you crack the fish tank open, then you press the button to pick it up, Indy swings and some blob appears on the guy's face. He doesn't wither in pain.. He just falls and it's over. Actually one small redeeming factor was that the flying was SEMI fun.

19. smangerbot

that's a deep burn. i'm so dissapointed to hear that next gen one got canned. DAMN YOU DAN AYKROYD!

20. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Should I ask why Akroyd?

Let it be said that I wanted to like this game, and like some Transformer fans with the first TF Movie game, I even tried to overlook a lot of bad things, as this was still Indy I was controlling. I wanted to enjoy it, but it was really difficult. We're going to trade it in today towards Lego Indy.