In regard to voice acting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zhadow, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Zhadow

Zhadow Oh hi there

I actually like to point out that I'd gladly have a voice acting career near future. It inspires me to voice some anime/cartoon characters. I already have a decent good mic (Samson C01U studio condenser microphone) with a pop-filter, and a fine recording software to do some voice impressions at home as my hobby, with my YouTube account where I'm hopefully soon going to link some of my voice tryouts, by being the character who I'm particularly voicing as.
    Granted, I'll let others know if they would like to cast me in their project by fan-dubbing, with my done voice-over work, or voice audition set of lines for each specifically character. And if I'm fit enough to voice act a certain role in a fandub, I'd be much appreciated.

So, tell me what do you think?

Thanks

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Get an agent. Take acting lessons. Resign yourself to the fact that Voice Acting is an industry where there is a high level of competition and a relatively low level of compensation. Don't do impressions, they already have people who can do those voices, and who have more experience. If you make a demo reel, make one that shows you can make a wide range of new voices that can fit a role in a novel, engaging, and vibrant way.

Thus endith the lesson.

3. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

um...what else is there to say?
    Aernaroth pretty much ended the thread for you with that advice.

so i'll say that i wish you a lot of luck for you.

4. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

I hope you turn your hobby into a career. Go to College and taking many many classes.

5. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I think so many people want to be voice actors because it doesn't involve actual work. Hell, if I thought I could do it I would.

In other words - competition is fierce. If you don't stand out you don't stand a chance.

6. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    I think a lot of those people underestimate the amount of work voice acting actually entails.

7. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Well said. Especially at the bolded part. Living in SoCal, there are a sea of voice actors waiting to be the next Tom Kenny or Casey Kasem. You will have to be dedicated if you want to be in the industry.

8. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Talking. Practicing talking. Talking for long stretches of time. Thinking of new ways to talk.

Sign me up, because that sounds like pretty easy work to me when compared to pretty much anything else. I don't have golden pipes though.

9. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    The hard part about voice acting is there's not a lot of places with a major industry for it, you're looking at Toronto, Texas, and LA mostly for the major cartoon, anime, and TV work, and for the record anime pays the worst. There's always local radio and TV ads, but a major career requires you to be where the work is. It's also a job that is never secure, what plays out on TV over months is usually done recording in a few weeks and your job is officially over. Most voice actors are constantly doing auditions for the next job, usually while the current one is going, and you're liable to be recast the second someone above you decides your not the right voice for the character after all. This is me relating discussions with voice actors at conventions, it's not the prettiest side, but you should be aware of it.

10. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Oddly enough, this is the same misconception many of the people you're criticizing have. Voice acting isn't really talking any more than being in the theatre is walking and talking. It's acting, first and foremost, which is why acting training is so important for a voice actor to... well... not suck at it.

It's also a form of acting that in some ways is more difficult than traditional acting, since an actor isn't able to use his facial expressions or body language in his performance. It's also a form of acting that pays worse, has long hours, and where an actor is asked to put everything they've got into a take, over and over again. I've met Wally Burr, his reputation is more or less accurate, and trust me, it isn't really easy work, even if it can be really fun at times.

11. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I get that it's acting, and not anybody can do it. I'm sure the hours get long and tiring...but at the end of the day it's still just speaking.

That's an appealing concept.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  12. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    While if you simplified what "voice acting" can be seen as, it really is not just speaking. In most cases if not all, you have to alter your voice to sound different than what you would normally sound like even if it was just a slight difference. And for the most part, you have to be consistent with it. Take a look at Japanese anime for one. Some of the voice actresses have to also sing in the character's voice which oddly enough, when you watch an interview with the actress (if its even available), they don't even sound like the character when speaking in their normal voice. To me, I don't think that's easy to do.

The casting folks are looking for a "voice" that fits what they want the character to sound like. So if you don't sound like what they think/want Megatron to sound like, then guess what? You don't have a job. As Aernaroth stated, a lot goes on than what you might see. If it were really that easy as you may seem to have put it, then a lot of people would be voice actors. Sadly.....that's not the case because there is a certain level of talent that is required.

13. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You should go to a transformers convention & ask a TF voice actor during the Q&A session.

14. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    :lol 

15. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Going back to what Aernaroth said about getting an agent. They are a must. But be advised, they are not cheap and they will get a cut on work they find for you.

16. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

I think this guy is a little young to be worrying about an agent.

17. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    He is talking about a voice acting career. If he's serious, he will need an agent. Finding a good one is the tough part.

I forgot to mention, almost all voice actors and SAG members.

18. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    look I have a degree in theater and music with a master in music (so I can sing makes me more marketable right?) I took extra training and classes with Voces for all Voice acting.
    YOU HAVE TO MARKET YOURSELF. 90% of what you start off with is free.
    They actually do not recommend you get an agent until you get some rgular work. If you are like Kaye, Welker sure get an agent but if you are not in demand you will be losing more money than you make.
    Know where your strengths are, for example my voice is good for female villaness, I can do Arachnid and motherl Gothel (from Tangled) really well.
    Singing doesn't even make you more marketable.
    I've been told I have a wonderful great fantanstic real, (I've actually been told this by none other than Steve Blum himself and I have the email to prove it) but tv and radio market use their own people for voiceover work becuase they already pay them its an economic thing.

I've been looking for voice acting work for 11 years guess how much work I've gotten

no really go ahead...guess

19. Zhadow

Zhadow Oh hi there

As of right now, I can't really afford an agent because I've a part-time job due to school, and am currently new to experience the way of being a voice actor and see what it takes. But with sufficient money, I'll definitely look into requiring an agent asap.

And I had been thinking of making a demo reel when I see fit.

About the voice impressions; I do found it practical to display my voice being a character like from some anime only Japanese dubbed, by doing a voice tryout of how the person could sound like in English.

After all, at present, this is in my spare time.

20. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    please see my comment you can't even get a job without a demo reel it's the FIRST thing you need to do. It's like your resume.
    Get the agent afgter you've done some actual working stuff you can show an agent (including a demo reel).
    Look if you don't believe me go to Steve Blum and Jeffery Combs official webapges. Email them. I got a response back from both and both were very nice. They will tell you the same thing I am telling you.
    Steve Blum espeically puts emphasis on needing on education in the field of acting.

oh wait and your demo reel have a profesional do it, they know what people are looking for and it isn't imitations a lot of it is commerical style voice over work. DOn't do the demo reel yourself have it profesisonally done yes its money but they can make it sound better