IN MEMORIAM-TV & Movie Celebrities and Public Figures who pass in 2017

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by moreprimeland, Jan 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it!

News Credits:
    In Memoriam for all Celebrities, those in TV & Movies, Sports, Authors, and other Public Figures of note.

Yes, this year we're signing off ALL of our fave celebrities in a different way... in one thread which will be stickied for the entire year.

Exceptions will be decided by forum mods, especially if ABH1979 (who mods both GD and M&TV) would like to have a single thread in Movies and TV forum for those who have made major contributions to the industry and the public at large.... otherwise, post the news story/headlines here and folks can post their comments as usual.

(Also, personal loss, i.e. parents, grandparents, siblings, etc. will continue to be single threads.)

Honestly, it's my wish that we won't have many losses in 2017, but when we do, let's say good-bye and post our fond memories of them here.

Thanks for your cooperation,
    mpl

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Well, I guess I'll get us started...

Richard "Mack" Machowicz has passed away.

Former Navy SEAL Richard "Mack" Machowicz Passes Away After Long Battle with Cancer | OutdoorHub

You'd probably remember him from the television shows "The Deadliest Warrior" and "Future Weapons". Machowicz was a former Navy SEAL, and had written his own books and lectures on motivation. He may not be as famous as some of the other stars we've recently lost, and he might not have been attached to the most prestigious television shows, but I enjoyed the intensity he brought to his commentary, and the air of authenticity he brought to shows where it would otherwise be... lacking. May he rest in peace.

• Like Like x 1
  3. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

I just heard about Mack. I loved watching Deadliest Warrior. I didn't he had brain cancer.

Rest in peace, sir.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Allsparky

Allsparky Bayou Buah/Ex cross-tie walker!

:rip Aw man, Mack was awesome! Wow, never knew bout his cancer. Rest in peace hero, warrior and all around cool guy! :rip 

5. CyclonuS_ZerO

CyclonuS_ZerO Uni-con

News Credits:
    For all those who don't know who William Blatty was, he was the writer of many great books, most notably "The Exorcist". He was also a screen writer and director for many adaptations of his own books such as "The Ninth Configuration", and the 2nd sequel of "The Exorcist", "The Exorcist III" which is based off of his book "Legion". He was 89, 5 days shy of turning 90. A true master of literature has been lost. 2017 is off to a shitty start....

6. moreprimeland

News Credits:
    Read the Exorcist, preferred it to the movie tbh. I believe Stephen King was a fan too... okay found a CNN story with a tweet from King, read on:
    :rip 

(CNN)Author and filmmaker William Peter Blatty, who scared millions with the best-selling novel and Oscar-winning movie "The Exorcist," has died.
    Blatty passed away Thursday evening at a hospital in Bethesda, Maryland, his widow, Julie Alicia Blatty, told CNN. He was 89 years old.
    "It was multiple myeloma, a form of blood cancer. He was only diagnosed last month," said Blatty. "We were married for 33 years."
    " Film critic and author Richard Crouse told CNN he recalled "stories about people throwing up at screenings."

[​IMG]
    "The silhouetted image of actor Max von Sydow, playing Father Merrin, was featured on the poster for the 1973 theatrical release of The Exorcist. It remains one of the highest-grossing films of all time. Based on a 1971 novel by William Peter Blatty, it was nominated for 10 Academy Awards, including Best Picture."

Blatty is best known for the 1971 New York Times bestselling novel "The Exorcist," and the film adaption of the book, released in 1973, on which he served as producer and writer.
    The horror story was about a child, played by actress Linda Blair, who was possessed by a demon.

The film was nominated for ten Academy Awards, winning for Best Sound Mixing and Best Adapted Screenplay.
    The film's director, William Friedkin, tweeted Friday morning, "William Peter Blatty, dear friend and brother who created The Exorcist passed away yesterday."

Fellow author Stephen King tweeted, "RIP William Peter Blatty, who wrote the great horror novel of our time. So long, Old Bill."

Blatty's widow told CNN, "He was the most generous, loving, hysterical husband, father and grandfather. I was just profoundly blessed to be married to him. He was a wonderful man."
    It wasn't all about big scares for Blatty, his widow told CNN. "He had a big heart and he was very very funny."
    Blatty co-wrote the screenplay for the 1964 film "A Shot in the Dark" and his widow said, "He had such a whimsical sense of humor. We laughed a lot together."

7. MetalRyde

8. Rodimus74

Rodimus74 Well-Known Member

RIP 'Superfly' Jimmy Snuka. No disrespect to others, but this is the first major celebrity death to start the year.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
  10. MetalRyde

Nooooooooo!!!

Another wrestling legend gone. :( 

Mick Foley must be heartbroken. It was Jimmy that made him want to become a wrestler.

• Like Like x 1
  11. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    :rip  To the originator of the high risk maneuver. In the US anyways.

12. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    • Like Like x 1
  13. prfctcellrulz

prfctcellrulz Pokémon Trainer/WWE Champion

News Credits:
    The last man on the Moon, before Soundwave and Mr. Gould Sr. shut down the Apollo program.

RIP, Mr. Cernan.

14. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    We've already lost so many from this period in history, seems like there isn't many left. I don't know about everyone else, but I feel like the best way to honor their legacy is to make sure that Gene Cernan, may he rest in peace, is not "The Last Man on the Moon", only the last of his era. To walk alongside his now-lonely footprints, and make those singular steps he traced into a mighty trail, blazed towards the stars for humanity.

https://www.nasa.gov/astronautprofiles/cernan

"As we leave the Moon at Taurus-Littrow, we leave as we came, and God willing, as we shall return, with peace and hope for all mankind." - Gene Cernan

"Curiosity is the essence of human existence. 'Who are we? Where are we? Where do we come from? Where are we going?'... I don't know. I don't have any answers to those questions. I don't know what's over there around the corner. But I want to find out." - Gene Cernan

15. moreprimeland

News Credits:
    Watched a couple of older interviews with Mr. Cernan, no ego, just doing his job, with a sense of human and kindness.

:rip 

• Like Like x 1
  16. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives

• Like Like x 3
  17. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    This guy was a consistently solid actor. Will always associate him to the original Robocop, but he's done a lot of other great stuff since. Even made it into the MCU in Iron Man 3 :) 

• Like Like x 1
  18. prfctcellrulz

prfctcellrulz Pokémon Trainer/WWE Champion

News Credits:
    RIP Bob Morton. :( 

19. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

Ugh, that sucks.

His role in RoboCop is what I always think of, when I would see him. He's done a whole lot of VA work too.

20. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Was it natural causes, or did he... make a mistake?

Sad to hear, either way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.