In-hand Kingdom Scorponok

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Yoshimon7, May 6, 2021.

1. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    A $45 Legends-scale TP figure.

As for this $22 Deluxe-scaled Scorponok, for a non-MP Beast Wars release I think this thing is phenomenal!

Yeah, I can see the 3D printer people already plotting overpriced fillers for the arms and thighs, but for how the figure looks and fits with the rest of the releases I have zero issues with it.

I never really saw the character as big, but more like a short, burly barroom brawler. That's what we have here, and I'm thrilled to have it on pre-order.

• Like Like x 6
  2. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I never watched Beast Wars, I never owned a Beast Wars toy (except a few of the ones repainted for the Armada toyline), I never had any interest, but somehow I've ended up with every single BW show character from the Kingdom line so far. They're all mostly superb across the board. Very impressed.

I think the way the designs are being updated so they are realistic animal-accurate in beast mode but highly cartoon accurate in robot mode is awesome, and a great way to go about it.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Huh, still looks stubby and chonk...

• Like Like x 1
  4. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Gnodab Kidult (He/Him)

News Credits:
    Can we go *one* News thread about a new figure without 3P fans racing in to advertise their preferred form of IP theft? Do you guys want HasTak to crack down on third parties? Because that's how you do it.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Dremen_Solo

Dremen_Solo Well-Known Member

I agree with PrimevsPrime that I miss his animation beast head. But with the exception of that, his beast mode looks like his strongest mode. His robot mode looks less blocky than those original Hasbro pictures but man, that height really bugs me. I'll definitely be getting him, but he looks like one of the weaker Kingdom figures to me overall.

Also, why does PrimevsPrime keep saying he thinks its going to be remolded into Tarantulas? I actually really cant picture how that would work unless it was retooled so much it barely resembled this version.

6. Gumblor Gimbles

Gumblor Gimbles Norn' Ironhide

News Credits:
    hes definitely too short, but i like shorter deluxes so its fine. hope the painted leg doesnt rub against the ground too much in scorpion mode.
    bold of you to assume hasbro reads these threads.

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Not sure if I'm a fan. It's not that it looks bad, it's just not a look I like. His torso and legs being more shapeless and flat isn't super appealing to me. I actually always really liked Scorponok's in-show robot mode.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Sness

Sness Autobot Supreme Commander

News Credits:
    That's what I had heard but considering this video...

9. Led4thehed2

Led4thehed2 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Agreed on all points, absolutely. I guess what I was trying to say is I was just genuinely surprised that his main robot body wasn't taller. Re-reading my post it does come off as a "Figures X tall should cost Y dollars" complaint. I thought he'd stand face-to-face with Black Arachnia - I think their bot modes were about the same height. His tail, legs and pincers certainly give him more mass, though. I guess a little size is the sacrifice to keep him deluxe priced...though I guess he really does have a lot of mass for a deluxe. I'm still looking forward to getting him - I think I'd buy any member of the BW cast at this point.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Sness

Sness Autobot Supreme Commander

News Credits:
    Theft

11. Fuze9

Fuze9 Piddle Patrol

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That intrigued me as well. I mean, the obvious assumption would be a Blackarachnia repaint for Tarantulas. Surely that'd be less work than whatever one might finagle with Scorponok. Of course, the rumored voyager Tigatron might give us some insight into how thoroughly they're willing to push new molds for what were formerly repaints.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Yeah, I'm still planning on getting him, but he seems oddly proportioned compared to his show model... which is weird when you compare him to guys like Blackarachnia and Megatron who come out pretty damned close to their show designs.

• Like Like x 1
  13. T-Hybrid

News Credits:
    It would stand out if the others had followed a more animation accurate beast design, but so far they've been aiming closer to actual animals.

But I get it. For people who wanted animation accuracy the BW Kingdom stuff has been an interesting hybrid.

14. T-Hybrid

News Credits:
    Tigatron was originally a repaint and got promoted to new Voyager mold. My guess would be because he was much bigger than Cheetor.

Tarantulas wasn't all that bigger, so he'd likely just reuse Blackarachnia.

Honestly, this transformation with a few tooling changes would work really well for TM2 Blackarachnia.

15. Gee Won 1984

Gee Won 1984 Mandatory Stunning and Brave Fiction in Fiction

What are you talking about? Scorponok is one of the smallest Predacons in the show. His original toy was too big.

Did you see how small he was in the show?

Pretty Much Yes. Maybe a little too big, but close enough.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Dremen_Solo

He really isn't. He was short in the show but it was mostly because he hunched a lot. He was still roughly as tall as Cheetor and Blackarachnia.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Dremen_Solo

I would be interested to see a Blackarachnia repaint for him too honestly. Just because their spider modes would require pretty different abdomen shapes. Tarantulas and Black Widows look pretty different shape wise. Tarantulas would also require a bigger torso compared to Blackarachnia's lithe frame. I expect he'll be a new mold but using similar engineering.

18. Gee Won 1984

Gee Won 1984 Mandatory Stunning and Brave Fiction in Fiction

I thought he was a little smaller closer to Rattrap.

19. Dremen_Solo

Honestly, Kingdom Rattrap is way too short too. Rattrap, Cheetor, Blackarachnia are all really similar in size in season 1. Maybe what would be a couple inches difference between the 4 of them. I use Kingdom Rattrap in my display because I think he's a better toy, but Generations Rattrap is actually the perfect size more or less for a size accurate display.

Edit: sorry, looking again it looks like Rattrap and Blackarachnia are about the same height, Cheetor, Airazor and Scorponok are like half a head to a head or so taller.

• Like Like x 1
  20. C16

C16 Space Nomad

News Credits:

No I didn't, because he's not small in the show. He's about as tall as Waspinator and Tarantulas in the show. He is not a tiny character. Definitely taller than Blackarachnia, unlike this figure.

001.png Untitled22.png

• Like Like x 6