In defence of the Bayverse designs

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Nathanoraptor, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Oh lol, Zeus didn't birth Athena in a near literal (or even in a figurative) sense. This myth is a far cry from this demented LL idea. Its origin and symbolism too.

• Like Like x 2
  2. CyberstormSM

CyberstormSM Turbo-Revvin' Young Punk

News Credits:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    I'm pretty sure Zeus, like, ate Athena's mother when he found out that she was pregnant, and then later somebody had to crack open Zeus' head because Athena was stuck in there.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Honorbound

Honorbound Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    That's how I remember it. Metis, the mother in question, didn't survive the process.

4. Wingsaber26

Wingsaber26 New Member

I really liked the movie designs, they were realistic and alien looking. I especially liked how intimidating the decepticons looked. With that said, I preferred Bumblebee's designs. They had just enough of both worlds to be perfect. One thing about the bayverse that always bothered me was how the Arcee clones(?) were just wheels with arms but here we see Arcee looking like Arcee. It will be fun to see more of that if they decide to make a sequel.

• Like Like x 2
  5. TheDude810

TheDude810 I have an unhealthy obsession with the RotF Game

News Credits:
    From a design standpoint, the Arcee sisters were certainly weird departure to the point where they shouldn’t really be associated with the G1 Arcee. But from a story standpoint the explanation is actually interesting. Iirc Arcee was killed by Thundercracker and was put in a new body along with Chromia and Elita-1 by a Decepticon named Flatline to serve the D-con army . It’s actually some freaky body horror stuff.
    CE534DBA-5120-44AE-A57D-E6C70D24A30F.jpeg CF94C882-F851-4AF0-916C-C1D8C9D5F378.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  6. Nathanoraptor

Nathanoraptor Well-Known Member

From somebody who's been obsessed with Greek mythology since childhood:

That is true in some versions - in other versions, she's his alone. Having said that, the Metis version is the most common one - and, even adding that, it still fits, given that Scorponok technically "consumed" Rat-A-Tat's spark to create the Firstborn. It's also a tad ironic, because Zeus was the god of justice - something which Scorponok has spent quite a long time running from.

In Greek mythology there isn't really a "definitive" way of telling a myth - there are multiple tellings of different myths. In some versions, Medusa's a child of Typhon and Echidna, in other versions she isn't. The exact parentage of the many children of the goddess Nyx is particularly contentious - it's unclear how many she had by herself and how many she had with her husband (and little brother) Erebus.

And of course, the symbolism is only something I inferred from it.

Anyway, as @AutobotAvalanche says, this is a digression, we need to get back to the Bayverse designs.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
  7. cybeast

cybeast Freelancer Pun Maker

News Credits:
    Now I want a targetmaster Zeus who turned into Hammer and Athena who turns into a spear and shield.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

A goddess of intellectual thought, wisdom and knowledge spawned as an adult woman by cracking someone's head open is not an analogy of birthing. Head>thoughs>open. It's a very simple symbolism. There's little in common in characterization between a classical deity of Zeus and a toy robot comic hero of Scorponok. You're projecting your deep personal interest to justify a terrible officially published fanfic that never was supposed to be read in the way you do. It cannot be handwaved by stating that there are multiple interpretations of myths because not a single one of them parallels this badly written comic anyway. Not to mention all the versions came because Athena is a surviving facet of a goddess much older than the rest of the Greek pantheon but she had to be somehow stuffed in.

It doesn't improve Roberts's stupid ideas.

And I'm going to end this off-topic at pointing it out.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Nathanoraptor

You are correct, @Haywired. I have been "Scrotie McBoogerballs"-d.

10. beastfanboi

beastfanboi Al Capone died of syphilis

I prefer the color scheme of bayformers devastator because he doesn't have an eyesoring color scheme

• Like Like x 2
  11. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Lord High Governor

News Credits:
    Fair enough, I think their color scheme is pretty good for the most part. Though I think the Constructicons having a uniform color scheme is part of the point. The Predacons have it as well, as do the Seacons.

I've always been of the belief their species should be able to easily change color on demand, so perhaps part of their 'disguise' while out in the field could be ROTF-like color schemes but their 'true' colors are green and purple. Much like how Animated Shockwave operated with his colors.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Honorbound

Ebay:
    That's about the only way that you could pull off G1-style color schemes with real-world vehicles, barring stuff like custom paint schemes on the scanned vehicles. I was thinking something like that could work for Starscream, having him be a gray jet that reveals red and black bits when he converts to robot mode.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Split the difference and use the G2 colour scheme, which was yellow.

• Like Like x 5
  14. Honorbound

Ebay:
    I was sort of thinking the same thing - the G2 Constructicons' color scheme is more realistics (and actually common in real life) than the G1 color scheme. Just swap out the purple for black on anybody that's got purple and they're good to go.

As an aside, I'm not gonna lie, at first I thought you were talking about Starscream.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Nathanoraptor

I've thought long and hard about why I have a more favourable opinion of the Bayverse designs than some of the other fans. And I've come to a conclusion.

Part of it is, of course, nostalgia - to a kid of the mid 2000's, like myself, the scene of Optimus Prime transforming in the alleyway was to us what the first scene with the Brachiosaurus in Jurassic Park was to all the 90's kids. Thirteen years on, everything about that scene is awesome - from the camerawork to the effects to the music. That scene, as well as the Blackout base attack, is the reason I want to become a filmmaker.

The other reason is, whilst not as revolutionary as I have previously claimed, Transformers (along with Dead Man's Chest a year prior) laid a lot of the groundwork for the use of modern visual effects - there is a before/after in visual effects with those two films. Even with films that came out the same year or only shortly before, the effects look like PlayStation 2 graphics in comparison - cf. Aslan in the Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe, the Silver Surfer in Rise of the Silver Surfer, Iorek in the Golden Compass. All of those look fake as hell.

No matter what they look like, the Bayverse Transformers are very sophisticated CGI characters, much like Davy Jones in Dead Man's Chest. That and the grand, spectacular way the CGI was applied in those films - possibly in the most spectacular way since Jurassic Park - was very influential in terms of filmmaking. It's hard not to look at Bayverse Bumblebee and think of him as a spiritual precursor for Caesar, Rocket and Knightverse Bumblebee, amongst others.

That's something the visual effects artists should be applauded for - they took designs that looked shit on paper and made them look convincing in film.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mack superliner

Mack superliner Well-Known Member

Bayformers were excellent adjusting the timeline, maybe they weren't exactly what we were expecting such as a cab over truck or vw bug or giant gun.however what I dislike from bay movies it's the fact that you never got a true appreciation from action scenes, his movies never show off a transformation, if you look closer you don't see that magical moment ,in rotf prime transforms into the military base but you don't see him transforming, just a camera moving with the transformation sound,in general speaking I like bayformers models but not too much the movies

Not e
    Not everything in bayverse was so bad, at least devastator looked so good reaching my expectation, the earthmovers shown in real life look awesome so I can't imagine how'd it looked if bay had done it on green using the cartoon style, yeah there are some weird vehicles that don't match such as the ice cream truck but analyzing it closer, the ice cream truck isn't too bad at all.Megatron.....well...it wasn't what I expecting in bayverse ,soundwave.....
    Better adjust to the reality rather that dreaming

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  17. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    The alley scene where Prime's engine rotates multiple times while bringing functionally nothing to the transformation? Wait, I just described 99% of the transformations shown in the films.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Nathanoraptor

Please note, we're seeing the scene from Sam and Mikalea's perspective at first, who are facing him.

Also, yes, I do mean the alley scene - to a mid 2000's kid, that was what the first scene with the Brachiosaurus in Jurassic Park was to 90's kids. I was ten when the first film came out and everyone in my class went to see it - we all thought that scene was awesome.

On our last day of primary school, our teacher brought us Transformers to watch because we'd all requested it - and she knew all our parents had taken us to see it.

Thirteen years on and it still gives me the goosebumps.

• Like Like x 3
  19. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    I have three children who were fairly young and impressionable during that release, and the two oldest were the ones who pointed out the... busy nature of those movie animations. They immediately questioned why they didn't look like the boys from Armada.

I get it made a lasting impression on you, but don't assume it made a lasting impression on everyone your age.

• Like Like x 4
  20. Nathanoraptor

It's not just me.

As I mentioned, literally everyone in my class (hell, I think literally everyone in my year group) went to see that first film - the girls and boys both, I should add. In fact, the classroom fads, be they cartoons, anime, Transformers, were always a very uni-gendered thing - the idea that girls aren't allowed to like so-called nerd stuff is a recent phenomenon. I've met people in my age group since, who remember that scene fondly.

However, obviously, I can only give what I have personally experienced, since I lack statistical proof that it made an impression on everybody my age.

Maybe it's a cultural thing, since I don't think the Unicron Trilogy (or indeed, anything between Sunbow and the '07 film) was ever that big a deal in the UK. I remember seeing a couple of episodes of TF: Cybertron before the '07 movie came out (I definitely remember the one where Starscream releases all the Ancient Decepticons), so nobody was totally unfamiliar, but I don't think anyone in my age group was really all that into the franchise prior to the first movie.

• Like Like x 2