In defence of the Bayverse designs

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Nathanoraptor, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Zemah

Zemah ’Til all are one

News Credits:
    Sure, but it makes them harder do differentiate. Gotta be more clever about the overall designs then, because apart from the big guy they all look too similar.

• Like Like x 3
  2. cybeast

cybeast Freelancer Pun Maker

News Credits:

We're talking about a toys originated in 80's where no one is suspicious about five teenagers in color coded shirt hangs out together everytime.

And the uniform-ish color and design (even though the CW toys do give them difference), is probably intentional, since similar shape is easier to build into a bigger bot (faster, since they're less complex) and makes it harder for the enemy to distinguish which is which to take down first to prevent them from combining.

That, or uniform color looks more menacing as a whole compared to mishmash of color against each other

• Like Like x 3
  3. TheDude810

TheDude810 I have an unhealthy obsession with the RotF Game

News Credits:
    Same. I’m so weak D:

That’s terrible. He obviously also needs a nutsack

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  4. cybeast

News Credits:
    I love the Infernocus's main body, esp the weapon D:

• Like Like x 2
  5. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Lord High Governor

News Credits:
    :lolol  :lolol 

• Like Like x 2
  6. cybeast

News Credits:

"Why the long face, Grandma?"

"To better eat you with"

• Like Like x 8
  7. Nathanoraptor

Nathanoraptor Well-Known Member

I don't think many of my original statements were clarified properly, @Autobot Burnout; apologies if they didn't make sense.

I think, with the Unicron Trilogy, they were trying to move very far from G1 - and they deserve credit for that, even though I'm slightly ambivalent to it at best (as stated before, I don't particularly care much for Unicron).

Again, I don't think most people know who he is - and I don't think he really did much in the Sunbow cartoon. For most of the cartoon, he was a background Decepticon mook. Compare that to Beast Machines Thrust, who was a very prominent character throughout the show's run.

Having said that, Armada Cyclonus is a far better example of my point - I merely picked BM Thrust because I like the character.

I was talking about top-tier legacy characters - basically the characters that you've got to have if you're doing Transformers - much like, in a Justice League cartoon, you've got to have Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman.

All those guys, with the addition of Grimlock and, in recent years, Windblade, are all the "second-tier" legacy characters.

I was meaning to say audiences aren't going to queue up to see a Transformers film because Dirge is in it.

People make analogies to things they are familiar with - it's not really that uncommon a thing. I'm not going to compare something to Power Rangers, for instance, because I'm not familiar with it at all.

However, you should check some of the Toho and MonsterVerse Godzilla films out - they're good.

I was honestly fine with "Pregnant Scorponok" - I thought it was a little forced, but as a concept it wasn't all that bad.

Of course that could be just because I love weird fiction - one of my favourite books has a short story about a bizarre-looking temp who is put in charge of an office tea club and uses milk he produces from teats on his body as milk for the tea.

I absolutely agree - and it's a little irritating that the Bayverse has been that pervasive. I don't want completely G1 and I don't want completely Bayverse either. What I want is something that respectfully acknowledges what came before, but also tries new things.

That's why I liked Cyberverse - it was the first Transformers series to really be unique and bold, whilst still acknowledging what came before. Unlike Transformers: Prime, which was just "Bayverse meets G1".

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  8. Sablebot

Sablebot #thinkitaintillegalyet

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lolol 

• Like Like x 1
  9. Magnum Dongus

Magnum Dongus @DiddlyDipstick on Twitter

Did you make that?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Novaburnhilde

News Credits:
    I did not, I simply found it on Capcomkai's Instagram. Along with a fat, cigar-smoking Prowl and a bifurcated Jazz.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Nathanoraptor

A fat, cigar-smoking Prowl isn't actually all that bad an idea - cast David Harbour to voice him.

12. CyberstormSM

CyberstormSM Turbo-Revvin' Young Punk

News Credits:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Why though?

• Like Like x 2
  13. sladeprime

sladeprime MS Paint Transformer artist

News Credits:
    Constructicons in ROTF are really cool except that they don't like them at all. But i really like them. It could've been much more challenging if they made them look more interesting while keeping them faithful to how they should really look like. Giving honor to the character is something I've learned from TFBB. sixshot.png

• Like Like x 5
  14. Nathanoraptor

Because a fat, cigar-smoking Prowl sounds like the Transformers role David Harbour was born to play - watch Stranger Things if you don't believe me.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  15. cybeast

News Credits:
    A Fat-cigar smoking Prowl?

Might as well name him Kup because at least the comic tried to give an explanation of his cigar.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Novaburnhilde

News Credits:
    ... I seriously wrote Prowl, I meant to say Hound. My bad!

Good grief.

Now that's a really nice Sixshot.

17. TheDude810

TheDude810 I have an unhealthy obsession with the RotF Game

News Credits:
    I think my favorite movie design is RotF Soundwave. Making him a satellite is actually a really cool idea and is in line with Soundwave being an infiltrator/ communications officer. The potential of him being a satellite is endless. You could have some awesome infiltration scenes or something!
    [​IMG]
    Too bad they squandered that potential and made him a Mercedes in the next movie and then killed him off. I mean, it was a cool reveal that Soundwave was Dylan's car, and there are cool design things such as the blue disks that look like Animated Soundwave's speakers, but it's a bit weird to have the stealthy communications officer become this flashy loud sports car.
    [​IMG]

Side note: Soundwave was so cool to play as in the RotF game, being able to eject Rumble and Laserbeak. The people who worked on the RotF Game really went ham on the G1 inspiration. Hell, G1 Sunstorm is a playable DLC character.

The game artist Ken Christiansen really cared about Transformers and you get that sense when reading stuff like this: The Bad Flip Blog: TF2 - Aerialbots 01
    Some of his designs as well as the blog is below (btw I'm still fuming that Activision shut down the servers without any prior notice).
    [​IMG](Inspired by G1 Skydive)
    [​IMG](Inspired by G1 Streetwise)
    [​IMG]
    (Inspired by G1 Skywarp, obviously)
    [​IMG]
    (Some cool sketches of seeker designs)

I really recommend you read this to see how much of a fan Ken is and how dull some of the Hasbro execs are lol: The Bad Flip Blog: TF2 - Seekers 01

• Like Like x 5
  18. cybeast

News Credits:
    ...And in my defense, I thought Prowl smoking's image was kinda cool.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Nathanoraptor

I know, right? This is the Transformers role David Harbour was meant to play!

20. xd Accrocate

xd Accrocate Tell Megatron, 'Let's tango'

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I wonder why Bumblebee the movie had two distinctly different designs for robots. The bots on Earth (Blitzwing, Shatter, Dropkick) look like updated Bayverse designs with a hint of classic G1 with the flat surfaces and everything. But the bots on Cybertron (other than the seekers of course) had such flat designs. They look weird and unfinished. Its just g1 with extra textures. The only exceptiion is Soundwave and Optimus, imo (might be biased there, but soundwave looks actually threatening)

• Like Like x 1