In Box: Universe Superion and Bruticus

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by SwineTrekkie, Oct 30, 2008.

1. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Nah that's okay. I've always had a bit of dislike for that set because of it's colors, which is why I'm hoping for a repaint of the two in the Generation One toy colors (not so much the Gen.1 Animation colors), as that would work best for a combined mode.
    The Energon colors are just too diverse for each robot, which makes the combined form look well, not combined. Instead I always see it as one bot on top of the other. They should have shared the same colors throughout, so when combined, they would look more like one unified giant robot.

Back on the topic of Combiner limbs, does anyone have a clue as to when the Movie limbs are going to show up at Target, if ever? Were they canceled?

2. mecha

mecha Banned

i am starting to think they are not going to get released this year unless they do some surprise black friday release along with the comic packs on black friday like some have said target was planning ....

3. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    I'll take 2 of each. Depending on the store exclusive being target or wal*mart.

If they are black friday items..
    I have to work black friday so what a potshot at me since I'm actually very interested in them.

Combiner mania.

4. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    It sure seems like they got axed. I didn't even know about them being released as Movie-Scouts until Beastbot X pointed that out a few posts down in this thread. The newest article about them I found here on TFW2005 about them is from 6-13-2008. I really dig the colors they went with for them.

Been about 5 months.... but that article has them in packaging, so they seem to have been pretty far along in development to get canceled.

5. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Man, I finally realized that Movie Reverb screams Waspinator. The colors are all there.

However, it seems the limb swap with the Movie Energon limbs and the Universe limbs would still be useless, as the Universe set is various shades of Red, and the Movie limbs are blue. :( 

6. DazzalingFury

DazzalingFury The COLLECTOR of Stuff

Omg omg omg! A Must Have! Superion is da bomb!

7. ThaConqueror

ThaConqueror Rock! Robot Rock!

If possible, I'll be picking up Bruticus. Not that Superion looks bad, but I do try to keep my good guys and bad guys even, and since the AUtobots are outnumbering the Decepticons in pretty much every line, these guys'll be great. Plus, it'll be my first Energon combiner mold.

8. Beastbot X

Beastbot X Old skool. In a lot of ways.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wouldn't count them out just yet. Remember that Target is also releasing those Voyager & Deluxe "Screen Battles" 2-packs sometime late this year as well, so it looks like they're doing one last movie push. I'm almost certain that's when these three will show up.

9. lastmaximal

lastmaximal Hellspark

News Credits:
    that checklist also lists plenty of older unreleased product, though [Halloween Horrorcons, Energon Prime recolor with WST Prime, i think, and so on], so it could still go either way. but the holiday Movie push theory does make sense. i do hope we see those three if not more.

you say that like it magically gives Hasbro the availability of funds to prioritize the production of all-new molds for these. it will not.

look, the 25th anniversary line is a chance for them to release X number of brand-new molds for each size class. they're ALREADY doing that.

however, to help PAY for the designing, tooling and production of these molds -- as well as to maximize the designing and tooling expense for old molds AND make the molds available for people who missed out on them the first time -- they throw some mostly-appropriate recolors/mold reuses into the line [Unicron, these combiner giftsets, Target-exclusive Legends 5-packs]. as Edgewise stated, these are relatively low-cost releases which should net them a reasonable return. they are certainly NOT taking the place of an entirely-new-mold Superion or Bruticus.

you're right, the development costs concern is NOT your problem, it's Hasbro's. and they're dealing with it in a way that keeps new molds coming and keeps them in profitable business, which will in turn let them keep producing Transformers for us and for the actual target market for [hopefully at least 25 more] years to come.

if you don't like the fact that these aren't new molds, that's your call and no one will ask you to magically shift preferences. but it would be incorrect to keep shrugging off the logic of the situation because it's "not your problem."

10. jrxcombinetrain

jrxcombinetrain Just like combiners

News Credits:
  11. lastmaximal

lastmaximal Hellspark

News Credits:
    i'm sure they'll be cheaper than that once they're actually out. perhaps similar to Devastator's price.

12. Scourge_151

Scourge_151 Never gargle the rum. TFW2005 Supporter

If I didn't already have the Energon set I'd be all over Superion, looks very nice indeed in those colours.

13. blackconvoy_D01

blackconvoy_D01 Destronger

Ebay:
    Again defeats, in my opinion, the Silverbolt and Onslaught toys. It would have been cooler to see newer molds instead of these now 4+ year old molds.

14. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    and you got new molds. they weren't combiners but they were new molds.

15. herugrim

herugrim N/A

Ebay:
    I'll grab Superion, since I never completed my Energon version. I doubt I'll get Bruticus, since I have him. I'll need to see him in full form before making a final decision. He's my favorite combiner, so I'm willing to break my tradition of 'not buying repaints' if it's a good one.

16. Deathx360

Deathx360 Farewell Dear Friend

News Credits:
    Sorry, I thought you were talking about the Universe box sets not the movie Scouts. I hope they do get released. Target seems to have a lot of exclusives that should hit between now and Christmas with the Scouts, Movie 2-packs, Universe comic 2-packs, and Animated Deluxe w/ 2 Legends if Hasbro's list is correct.

17. blackconvoy_D01

blackconvoy_D01 Destronger

Ebay:
    Sorry but for me thats not good enough. I appreciated the classics series for its reinvention of the original series with more articulated figures. It would have been cooler if the new molds had combiner abilities instead of reissuing these 4-5 year old molds of these combiners. To release the combiners after you've released the new molds is unfair to the people who spent the $50.00+ on the new molds for the sake of a fresher perspective and hommage to classic characters Silverbolt, of the Airialbots and Onslaught of the Combaticons. Now what spend another $80+ plus for these sets? Myself, I think not.

18. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Ultra Onslaught and Silverbolt are just a new Decepticon tank and a new Autobot jet who happened to be combiner leaders back in G1. Thats all.

These combiners are simply repaints of the Energon toys. They probably weren't even considered being done when the go ahead for Ultra Onslaught and Silverbolt happened. New molds take many months of production and planning. Repaints can be put out considerably quickly.

19. herugrim

herugrim N/A

Ebay:
    $50+ for Ultras? $80+ for the combiners? Man, you're getting ripped off!

Oh, New York, that makes sense. You should order from Ebay Stores, they're plenty reliable and you'll find modern toys much cheaper then what they charge you at home.

20. Aigis

Aigis Anti Shadow Weapon TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I don't have any combiners, so I'm looking forward to these.