Impulse buys- what figures did you buy and love?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by rlmiddleton, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Cavadus

Cavadus Well-Known Member

Generations Roadbuster for me. Knew nothing of the character, or that he even existed, but caught him on Amazon for ten bucks and he's definitely one of my favorites. Love the accessories that came with him.

2. Psychoshi

Psychoshi Grammaton Cleric

I don't buy figures on impulse very often, but when I do, they tend to turn out kind of blaaah for me. I think it's because I try to keep informed about all of these figures, researching reviews, pictures, etc. I tend to know exactly what I want.

I did however, pick up TR hardhead and skullsmasher on a whim. They are fun little figures.

3. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

Titans Return Fort Max.

4. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    And what a wonderful job you have done with Max! I was copying your amazing base mode yesterday, had so much fun with it.

All the best
    Maz

5. atomD21

atomD21 Not made of sterner stuff...

Same here. Well, the bot, not the story. I was just starting to collect and came upon him on clearance for $16 so I grabbed him. Was absolutely amazed at the engineering and the sheer fun I had with him (the last TF I purchased before that was Beast Machines Deluxe Jetsorm back in High School). I credit that impulse buy with why my collection consists of more than a G1 Skywarp...

Oh, and to answer the OP's question, you really can't go wrong with any of the current TR Leader Class figures. Blaster is amazing. Soundwave is awesome, but the alt mode is still a little Blastery for my liking. Power Master OP is really cool, but if you didn't like the CW Ultra Magnus mold, you may not like him.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  6. bcm77

bcm77 Not A Proper Fan.

An impulse buy that worked out well,
    Titans Return Blurr
    ( I don't really collect main line stuff any more but have a soft spot for Blurr as a character and never liked the Generations version. Headmaster gimmick aside, the TR version is pretty much what I wanted the Generations version to be. )

Not so well,
    Takara MP Ironhide & Ratchet
    ( I briefly gave into completism and bought both despite not being 100% into the initial images or the characters in general. I resold both within a week. )

7. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

LOL....I JUST saw that this morning while I was eating breakfast and looking through some TFW threads! I love it!

In a related story, I just bit the bullet and bought the ramp adapters and G1 ramps....gonna see what I can concoct from that. I LOVE all the options.

Stay tuned!

• Like Like x 1
  8. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    G1 Metroplex. I never really wanted him, but I got him around the time the legend's sized generations toys were coming out. The combination is amazing!

9. rlmiddleton

rlmiddleton Don’t call me a member thank you very much.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I was going to go for Soundwave but I see Leader Skywarp is on sale at £30...I'm feeling impulsive.

10. optimusmegas

optimusmegas Target-Power-Titan-Prime-Battle-Master

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i've made alot of impulse buys...most recently sentinel prime and wheelie which i think are great but i think my greatest impulse buys ever were way back when the original RiD was out...and on impulse i bought optimus and magnus at a kay bee toystore. i was looking at the optimus thinking he looked cool as hell and noticed magnus combined with him and i thought omega prime looked badass so i bought both.

at that point i hadn't owned a transformer since G1 since BW didn't do it for me at the time. that impulse buy is what got me back into transformers. from them i found scourge which is still one of my favorite transformers ever and by that time armada was gearing up so i was back in.

• Like Like x 1
  11. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    One Step nuRiD Sideswipe with the "butterfly knife" transformation. Had one of those early coupons that put him around $7. Wasn't planning on buying him but had $10 burning in my pocket. Couldn't stop transforming him for days...

12. JokerFC

JokerFC Gaelic Hardcase

Ebay:
    my most recent one is TR Scourge. I had no interest in updating Scourge but when I seen him I had to have him.....I'm like that now with Blurr too

13. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Generations Sandstorm
    G1 Pointblank

Always liked both characters but never got around to getting them until Autobot Assembly

14. Sylent

Sylent Making Cybertron great again

TR Wheelie. Great, little figure. I don't usually collect non-MP's, but Wheelie was just too cool to pass up. Glad I did because I never seen it since that.

15. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

Maz, wait'll you see my NEWEST mode I came up with late last night. Didn't have a chance to post photos of it....but soon as I get home today I'll throw a few up! It's dope.

Ya know, say what you want about TR Fort Max; sure it might not have all the bells and whistles of the G1....but there is no denying the plethora of variations to make a super cool city to serve the purposes you're looking for. Additionally, you can switch between all these various fan modes without any modding and such. Now THAT'S playabilty.

16. motorthing

motorthing Too old for this $hit

News Credits:
    A huge and illustrious list but recently I can think of Diabattles being a total whim purchase that I don't think I would want to live without now.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I'm completely with you on that. My dream mode for you to discover is something similar to what you have posted, with the ramps touching the ground...but with those red flaps still at an angle and height that allows one to attach to Blaster and PMOP with ease.

I also tried to do your last mode but angle the ramps horizontally, and then put my other Max in front of it mirroring the mode to attach its ramps and make a bridge between them. However it seems Hasbro Max's ramps are not quite as tight as SDCC Max's, and they would not stay elevated horizontally.

Cannot wait to see the new mode, be sure to tag me :D 

All the best
    Maz

18. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

So here we are:

This configuration gives you the height of the "G1 city", but adds a few new playabilty functions to it....and fills in some gaps.

1. the towers are closed, and positioned straight up along the leg joints, giving it proper stability.
    2. the little leg tank turret thingie remains in place, closing in the gap between the two legs; giving off a building-like structure.
    3. NOTE: you'll have to remove the two flip top things atop the Cerebros tower in order to fit the tank turret, and to provide enough room to close the legs that close to one another. No big loss. Just set them aside, or like I did, place them next to the opening ramp.
    4. arms swung out wide, if you choose. BUT, rotate the one arm so the left over Metroplex forearm compartment is facing forward....makes for a cool "jail cell." In my case, a place for all the Cyber Animals. :) 
    5. PLAY!

*my god, my Reprolabels arrived today too! That tower in the back is gonna look DOPE once all the glowing circles are applied*

Photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  19. EarthGBilly

EarthGBilly Sucker for a GERWALK Mode

I seldom buy new figures on impulse, but I did come across all of the Titan Masters for $5 each. The figures are neat little toys, two of which led me to work on customizing full size bodies for them (Brawn and Night Beat), but the standouts for me remain Crash Bash and Clobber.

The rest of the Titan Masters ride in their little vehicles or kinda plug in as bizarre "engine" pieces... but that little Tyrannosaurus Rex form for Crash Bash and Clobber is kinda genius, and feels like a power-up armor for those figures.

I hadn't originally decided whether I was going to pick up any Titans Return figures, and now I've picked up a couple of the deluxes along with these Titan Masters... and I don't really plan to pick up any more. Except, maybe, if I can run into more of Crash Bash and Clobber for $5. I'd like an army of these guys on my desk at work.

20. DaftRaider

DaftRaider Sir Not-a-Decepticon

News Credits:
    Yeah, SDCC Fort Max was my impulse buy too. Kapow Toys had him on sale for one weekend only, and as soon as I saw it, my wallet just gave up and went to sulk in the corner as it became £120 lighter.

Now I'm like those above, trying to find the fanmode that makes it *click* for me :D 

I like this one so far. The asymmetrical style feels oh so right.
    [​IMG]

Actually, thinking back to it, pretty much all my TR purchases have been impulse buys so far. I got Hardhead, Blurr, Wheelie and Rewind in a Target when I was visiting my girlfriend in the US, and I wasn't even expecting to see them there, I was there to buy the Doctor Strange LEGO set :D