Heavy/Scratch: improved classics seeker set

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by f-primusunicron, Oct 21, 2016.

?

are the arms extending on the sides of the vehicle mode a deal breaker?

Poll closed Nov 7, 2016.
  1. yes

11 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. no

11 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. f-primusunicron

f-primusunicron Unicron Herald BladeZero

News Credits:
    ok, after a 2 year delay, many bad decitions, i finally have the first test of my seeker upgrade

but first some notes
    1: the set shown isnt the latest version, i hve been improving EVERYTHING, even as far as redoing some pieces entirely
    2: yeah the pieces are already dirty, but being only the very first test, i dont care about looks
    3: the shoulderpads, the crown and the missiles are my design BUT not my photos, and were painted, they fit the core figure without the upgrades
    4: Shapeways link, this is the improved and fixed version, it includes the nullrays, the wings and 2 angled intakes, prices are as low as i can go
    https://www.shapeways.com/product/7LXDBQHEB/classics-seeker-upgrade-main

5: UPDATED with a new piece, that will make the arms extending out in vehicle mode look like a missile pod, also the missiles will fold in to cover the hole the hands leave
    i wont increase the price, just wait a couple of hours untill i upload everything, ok?

ALSO, added renders of the new pieces and a comparison with the old ones(the brighter colored pieces are the new ones)

some improvements include sturdier pieces, some now should fit perfectly, bigger shoulderpads, winglets now feature a 5mm port for the nullrays as the arms position in vehicle mode prevents them from being correctly positioned, still can be used though) also now the vehicle filler pieces are attached via a balljoint (it was harder to make them be in the right position than expected but i managed to both reduce the pieces and still be sturdy enough, all without compromising leg articulation

ok
    i will be honest, i DO NOT LIKE THE MOLD, i had a thundercracker generations before and i traded it just after i finished the design (the very first one), and then i got many delays, nd many other problems but i finally got the mold again(acid storm this time)

originally i designed this because i had a friend that REALLY loves the mold, and starscream, and thats the reason i got thundercracker to begin with, i hated a lot on the mold, but after looking at it closely i found that it could be improved

but, what does this do?

well, it improves articulation(it adds bicep and thigh swivel, and now lets the leg go straight forward, before it could only go more or less 60 degrees now it gan go up to 85 degrees)

it fixes the figure proportions(longer arms and legs)
    because the extended shoulder, now the nullrays are on the bicep(where they should be) instead of the shoulder itself)

also a couple of panels to fill the gap in vehicle mode, that become side skirts in robot mode
    (pictured version panels arent attached to the legs because the peg was offset by a lot, that is fixed on the current available version)

it makes the figure an entire cm taller(now it can look face to face to the energon, armada gen and foc gen figures)

added wing hinges(slightly improved to be sturdier compared to the addon which is pretty slim(there will be pieces for both thrust versions as well) i redesigned my version to be also slimmer but without sacrificing the sturdier hinge because the test version is pretty thick and doesnt look as good as i expected

added wing filler(because the legs are now longer i made a couple of pieces to fill the gap on dirge and ramjet)

coronation set compatible with the figure with or without the upgrades(the coronation set and hinges are ideas taken from the addon set "screamer's coronation by Megavolt Robot Factory", but with improved crown and shoulderpad size, also, it has two clips on the coronation shoulderpads for a custom cloth cape(might add a template for the cape) because if it were plastic it would be expensive as hell)

completely transformable(except the coronation parts)

a set of better scaled nullrays(unlike all of the oter nullray sets (3p or shapeways) these feature a pressure missile

a set of winglets for a idw/tfp/movie styled look(just a second pair of smaller wings) transformable as well but not compatible with the coronation shoulderpads(they use the same connection in vehicle mode)

but there is a downside on, because the extended shoulder, part of the arm extends out in vehicle mode, and i need to add a joint to move the nullrays(either the original or the pieces i made) to the side, because the arm gets in the way

but everything(good or bad) is because it require NO MOD AT ALL, and it only replaces 2 pieces(the wing hinges on the regular seekers, and none on the others)

coronation photos provided by majinstarscream from mexico

of course im doing all i can to release a "perfect" version of the set next week

"note: a couple of photos keep being shown rotated when they are properly oriented, might try fixing it laterW
    UPDATED with photos of the filler panels for vehicle mode

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
    • Like Like x 5
  2. warhawk

warhawk Well-Known Member

Nice mods.the added articulation helps.

• Like Like x 1
  3. f-primusunicron

News Credits:
    i will upload it to shapeways(the revanped version) next week

4. shiftypenguin

shiftypenguin Fancy-Pantsless Dancer

News Credits:
    Cool! A much needed upgrade for that mold.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Brunkion76

Brunkion76 HE>i

I would mainly be interested in the wing mods and null rays to be honest, but this really is pretty awesome man. Would it be possible to make a longer butt flap (sorry, for lack of better term) to cover the gap created by the leg extension?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  6. f-primusunicron

News Credits:
    oh right, yeah i designed a cover but the joint wasnt long enough that is why is not in the photos, i am working right now on that, and it will be something more like a side skirts in robot mode
    thanks for pointing that out, also thats why the leg joint has a "peg" on the side, it was for the panels

7. ubertenorman

ubertenorman Well-Known Member

Looks really cool. Personally I'd rather replace the upper arm with a piece that swivels instead of extending the arm. I'd like to preserve the kibble-free alt mode

8. f-primusunicron

News Credits:
    the reason is because the arm is already too short, even without the extended legs, the arms look out of proportion, and 2, because as i stated already, i cannot take out pins, and because of the design unless i separate the shoulder and the rest of the arm i cant take precise meassures, also there is no space at all for an extending arm either, i would need to replace the entire arm

9. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    cant see shit due to pixels

10. f-primusunicron

News Credits:
    try opening the images with middle click or right click open image in another tab

11. jazz1914

jazz1914 moonbase survivor

Nice! Will give the seekers that extra bit of height they should have.

12. Scott_XIII

Scott_XIII Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like the articulated wings, will this be available in separate pieces?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  13. f-primusunicron

News Credits:
    sadly not right now, as the main reason of the upgrade is to improve the entire figure, offering the wing hinge pieces alone would make people ignore the rest of the set
    again, "NOT RIGHT NOW" maybe if the set sells well by itself i will make them availabe alone

• Like Like x 1
  14. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    still my chiroprator will send u a bill for the neck its now 90degrees bend :( 

anyways yeah good improvement...

afraid this could turn out pretty expensive if you get them for all seekers :) 
    but good job nonetheless ;) 

15. f-primusunicron

News Credits:
    well, there will be separate sets for each seeker, is not my fault people has tousands of them :V

• Like Like x 1
  16. f-primusunicron

News Credits:
    UPDATED: AVAILABLE TRHOUGH SHAPEWAYS

• Like Like x 1
  17. f-primusunicron

News Credits:
    UPDATE: NEW PIECE TO HIDE ARMS IN VEHICLE MODE

18. f-primusunicron

News Credits:
    udpate: corrected the orientation of the photos, just that

19. f-primusunicron

News Credits:
    i wont be doing the tests for the other wing types yet, but the designs are already finished

• Like Like x 1
  20. f-primusunicron

News Credits:
    UPDATE: bad news, i will increase the price of the set to what it should actually cost, im so sorry, but i have to move it to 45