Important Reminder; Please Read:

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Superquad7, Aug 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Greetings, fellow Radicons!

Recently, many of you who venture outside of Radicons have noticed several of the same message remind us of the TFW2005.com forum rules. There have been a number of issues come up where people are stating "I didn't know that was against the rules" or something similar to that extent, even to the point of being argumentative against the Staff and the policies/methods.

Just so everyone knows, any such excuse doesn't work with us; persons still have to deal with the consequences of their actions.

Carefully weigh the following before you post:

TFW2005 - The 2005 Boards

In addition to the TFW2005.com board rules, we also have a set standard that everyone who chooses to post here must abide by. These are our Radicons FAQ (which outlines most of anything you'd every want to know about Radicons and then some) and especially our Radicons Guidelines and Etiquette (a standard that Radicons are held to for specific artistic reasons, since the Radicons mini-site operates just a bit differently than [though in conjunction with] the TFW2005.com board) Each of those can be found here:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-general-discussion/201930-frequently-asked-questions.html

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-general-discussion/201932-radicons-guidelines-etiquette.html

Also, just so you know, when you're in Radicons, you should see this toolbar, and all you have to do is click "Radicons Info" to see the following:

[​IMG]

Things such as the image attachments, why we require them, how to do them, and so forth are found above. READ FIRST, ASK QUESTIONS LATER. The Radicons Staff love helping people, but help yourself first. Know that every time a Radicons Staffer has to continually reiterate the widely available procedures, it takes time away from other things we could be doing for this site or for ourselves (we like to make artwork and look at artwork too, ya know!)

It takes each Radicon not only adhering to everything presented here, but modeling it well for others. We do value quality of artwork here highly, but we value quality of persons here higher. We highlight artists each month who shine in both of these areas.

Also, artists (customs and fan art alike), perhaps not a newsflash, but just a reminder: we're not simply a forum anymore! We haven't been for some time now! We have a board quick jump from the index at TFW2005.com, but know that Radicons is its own place simply operating from the same server. Each thread enables one to tag it to a particular area.

Also, take advantage of our blogs and our Radicons Discussion forum (read: NOT "section"; forum). Fan Artists especially, we have project forums for the artwork the author of the post shares. Any other discussion goes in the Radicons Discussion, even if it's artwork from another friend you're wanting to share. We also have a place now for commissioning and requests. USE THESE FORUMS. They're here for you!

NOTE: If you have a problem with someone and/or their post, DO NOT RETALIATE. You have some options that are better. First, use the "report bad post" feature located in the user's plane in their post. It's a triangle icon with an "!" in it. Click it, and simply follow the instructions. If you're continually having issues with a certain person, you can always use "ignore" feature. This disables your viewing of that person's posts. Consider: if you retaliate with someone, you now become just as guilty as that person you decide to rumble with. Now you've just created more work for the staff who already volunteers their time and effort for this place. BE CONSIDERATE OF OTHERS. :) 

Feel free to contact any member of the Radicons Staff regarding these issues or any others. We want Radicons to be the best of places for Transformers and the artwork they continue to inspire!

Show us you passed 4th grade and demonstrate some reading skills. Doing the same for posting where we can see you can write on the same level would be a plus as well. Enjoy your time here, where everyone knows the party is.

Thanks, gang!

Utmost Love,
    The Radicons Staff
    (in conjunction with the TFW2005 Administration)

P.S. Don't let ol' supersquads catch ya. :lol 

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  2. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I presume the Radicons Illustrators have read this? *looks at the post count in this thread*

3. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Read them. I find the rules to be easy to follow since I've been at TFW, and the Radicon rules are easy as well. Should have no problem. :) 

4. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    You rock, and so do the majority of you Radicons. :)  It's a shame that for the handful we feel the need to post such threads, when information is under one's nose. :lol 

5. Venksta

News Credits:
    I think most people don't realize how advanced the Radicons section is. Since it has the forum layout, they must not see the extra features you wouldn't find on any other forum. So they just treat as any other forum on TFW.

6. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    That's part of the problem. How someone is unable to see what's to the right of this post in beyond me. If that weren't enough, we've posted not one, but several updates to Radicons to explain these things. Radicons Fan Art and Customs aren't just another forum, and those (like yourself) know this :) 

7. HiKaizer

HiKaizer Plot Botherer

Well, as someone who hasn't noticed before I can tell you how I missed it!

It's because for me it is to the right, and as you said because this segment of the site wears the same skin so it really does seem likely merely a sub-forum. On a forum most of the important user information is on the left, and on the boards here the links and stuff are clustered around the top bar. As such, my eyes simply sort of slid over the right side. However now that it's been pointed out I can notice it perfectly easily.

I did read the rules, and the FAQ when I joined and planned to use this section. Perhaps, as a suggestion you could add a little note or something in the FAQ to draw new users attention to the tools to the right? I am sure I would have noticed, or at least have been more likely to notice them had there been a mention (or at least a clearer one; I have checked the FAQ before posting this to make sure I don't make a redundant suggestion but couldn't easily find mention of it) in the FAQ. I suggest putting it as another bold point to draw attention?

At any rate, I hope my experience was of help at least.

8. Transfan2

Transfan2 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Superquad7,
    Rules make sense to me and they get the point home along with 2 other good points (just my opinion):

#1.) R-E-S-P-E-C-T

#2.) Common Sense

Just my opinion,
    -TF2

Rules: Just a good thing to follow.

(Hope this is better.)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
  9. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Hehe,, while I hear what you're saying, we're having problems with people reading the Radicons Guidelines and Etiquette along with the FAQ, so I hardly see how adding a point to the FAQ would circumvent this. However, this being the case, the Staff is discussing how to ensure people are looking around at the bells and whistles of the new home! :) 

I really see the main problem being that people who have posted their work in the Fan Art forum at TFW2005.com are simply used to it being a single forum to dump everything in (work, discussions, etc.). The Radicons Staff have always viewed both fan art and customs as "artwork" equally and desire greatly for everything under one such umbrella. Customs got so much attention in the recent years, and we love illustrations as well. We saw the Fan Art being neglected for some time and desired the same things for the Fan Art community that the Customs community enjoyed. Thus, the integration of Fan Art (where we feel it should be) with Radicons saw this vision fulfilled.

Now, the illustrators have the same level of resources that the kitbashers enjoy! Things are well-organized, there is a designated place for discussions for things about illustration itself [this would be "Radicons Discussion], a revamped Fan Art Gallery, and a section for tutorials specific to Fan Art [that is in overhaul as we speak].

Two things the Radicons Staff are frustrated with:

We listened to many complaints about the fan art gallery and taking submissions. The Radicons Staff worked extensively not to simply adequately satisfy this request, but to go above and beyond with it (much like everything we set out to do). Like customs, we don't just settle for a place for artwork, we want things to be THE best place for artwork :)  After all of the work, and the celebratory "relaunch" we've received zero submissions. "We are here; we are waiting . . . . "

The second is that, much of what's been discussed here already, we have more things for artists, but we're not seeing as much of it being utilized. While the customs side of things still is heavily trafficed, the Radicons Discussion section continually sees a lack of discussion about illustration. I know I've posted several threads there personally, but I don't see many others posting there. We want people to here to mingle together, and not two separate cliques or artists. I think the Radicons Discussion is a great place to simply "hang out" and chat with other artists about different things. That being said, as an illustrator myself, I like to talk about more than just customs :) 

Back to the topic of the right sidebar, I hardly see how a small mention in the FAQ would be better than the graphics and such attempting to draw one's eye to them.

10. HiKaizer

HiKaizer Plot Botherer

I'm not trying to say it would be, but it would have helped in my case; I was just offering my own experience and thus it is yours to do what you will with it.

11. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Gotcha. I really appreciate you sharing your experience, too. It definitely gives a unique perspective into how things are potentially viewed :) 

12. Zodberg

Zodberg Well-Known Member

I've not been uploading any of my more recent artworks to the forums because I'm not comfortable uploading every image. I prefer to upload them to Deviant Art so that if I need to make any refinements I can just change the file there and don't have to worry about an old copy floating around. Uploading an image for a thumbnail, I can understand, but after that if just makes me feel uneasy and unnecessary.

13. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    It's the same process here. Also, artwork is as much about the process as it is the finished product. Much can be learned from in progress work. I don't encourage someone to upload work that is a "wip", then removing it after the piece is finished. We encourage artists to create an in progress thread, then when the piece is finished to create a finished piece thread.

1. All project-related images HAVE to be attached for archival purposes. The whole reason the Radicons is set up where only attached images can show up in the first post is so that when a thread gets old, the images will still be visible, allowing other Radicons to still reference the thread if they’re needing to see how you did a particular modification to aid in a project of their own. tags DO work in replies, but are to only be used in project threads by non thread-starters only, so that other Radicons can help you tackle any problems that may arise in your project.

9. It’s OK to link to your private site if it’s merely a place that you have galleries of your personal customs. TFW2005’s board rules state that you cannot link to another TF-related site other than in your signature, but we’re slightly more lax on this subject in the Radicons. Since there IS a maximum limit on how many images can be attached to a project thread, it’s ok for you to post a link to your private site or photobucket account so that other members may see the rest of the images you’ve taken of your project if the number of pictures exceeds the maximum limit allowed to be attached to a thread.
    [/B]

Frankly, if you're linking to another board (dA is a forum, not just a "site"), it's counterproductive to [I]this[/I] board. A person can upload 20 images per post, so there's no reason to have to link to anywhere else.

14. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    yeah, that's like saying "I posted my custom Classics Menasor on Transtopia, and I plan to eventually go back and make it even better with my improved skills, so I don't want to post the images of it here, and have pictures of the original version floating around" It just doesn't make any sense. People post sketch lines, then ink lines, then colored pictures all the time. People enjoy seeing every stage of a project, not just the absolute final product. If someone doesn't want to post their images here, then it sounds to me like they don't really want to be a part of this community.

15. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    I'd have to agree with Redline here. Fan art was brought into the Radicons,
    to help make it better & give it the same light that the Customs has received.
    If you don't want to follow the rules we have set in place, I'm sorry for the loss of your work.
    But nobody is forcing you to post here.

16. Venksta

News Credits:
    Just to add, from my personal experience of being a member here for so long. I noticed most people only spend enough time to click the post and look at the art, then hit "Back", with out leaving a comment. So with that in mind, I doubt they'd want to spend more time clicking an external link and navigate away from here. Call it being lazy. So it ends up being a waste of time to even post your work as an external link. People want to see it right away. Just my two cents. :) 

17. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I couldn't agree more. This is another reason why we have everyone attach images in their posts. When I'm in a thread, that's my place to stop in. If someone's posted something in the thread, and then asks me to jump to another site, it takes me out of where I want to be to begin with.

18. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Hey gang! I'd like to discuss something that the Radicons Staff has noticed that is detrimental to the growth of our home:

7. No Website Advertising
    Any posts or threads to promote a website or store, Transformers related or not, will be removed. You may place a link in your signature. The more you contribute to threads, the more exposure your site will get.

There is absolutely zero need to provide an additional link when you post a project thread. We have every resource available that is more than sufficient for artists to properly share their work. If you're linking to a personal website with "additional photos" or to another board (such as deviantART), you are hampering the growth of our home. There are good reasons that this rule quoted exists, and it's to nurture the growth of our home.

You may use your signature for links and such, as that is well within the limits of TFW2005.com rules and Radicons. The Radicons Staff are busy doing what we can to promote Radicons and the work we put into this place. We have no need whatsoever to promote another website since we have everything and more here already. Our goals and objectives are such that we aim to unify the wealth of the Transformers Fan Art Community (illustrators, kitbashers, etc.) as one. Any deviation hampers this.

On a similar note, we are often asked, "what does it take to be a Radicon?". The answer is pretty simple: be a Radicon :)  If someone has properly posted one thread in Radicons, you are by default a "Radicon". A "good" Radicon is one who is very active in this community, one who posts things properly (attaching images, etc.), and one who follows the rules of TFW2005.com and the Radicons Guidelines and Etiquette. If you need examples to follow, look no further than our "Featured Radicon of the Month" articles. These persons are selected based on the quality of their artwork, their level of contribution to the Transformers art community, and how well they do so. The most respected Transformers artists are featured every month for all of these reasons. A "good" Radicon is one who does all of these things, and does them consistently.

On a similar note, Radicons and the Radicons Staff does nothing to fuel the overinflated egos of some selfish artists. Our aim is fun and contributing artwork. We will be the first to support artists with their ventures to be compensated and to be done so well, but Radicons doesn't exist for the financial promotion of any artist. The things we do are done because we want to do then and because we are devoted the Transformers art community. Any contest is done with the understanding that it's all in good fun, as we aim to crown no one. Our FRotM articles are simply for your reading pleasure, to share with you insight you'd otherwise may never have into the persons who make up Radicons, and to further educate you about who and what has made up the history of this community as well as why those have done so.

Thanks a lot and keep on truckin' :thumb 

19. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was going to say something about DA links but I can see you covered it.

ps. man the thumb nail for this tread needs some techno music played over the top...

20. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Blitz., you, again, set the standard for Fan Artists here simply by demonstrating that you read. For that, plus your awesome comment about my great thumbnail, you get today's internet hug from SQ7.

I heart Blitz. :D 

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.