IMAX Question

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by ZombieRipper, Jul 3, 2014.

1. ZombieRipper

ZombieRipper Active Member

Hey, I posted this in the MB forums but so far I have yet to receive a single response, so I'll post here and see if I can get some help. This is also my first post on this site, so sorry if I seem to let off any ignorance.

I'm going to see this film next week (I'm really pumped), but there's something that has been bugging me all day. I read earlier that there are apparently "fake IMAX" theaters around. Note that I have never watched a movie in IMAX before, and this is going to be my fist experience with one. Is there a specific theater you'd recommend me going to where I'm guaranteed to experience true IMAX visual and audio quality? I'm also seeing it in 3D.

I checked a few showtime listings on one of the theaters "Harkans". I always assumed that IMAX was it's own standalone theater, but I was completely unaware that they were linked with other theaters. This is where I'm a bit worried; apparently digital IMAX isn't the same as the real deal, but I don't want to have to travel far out unless absolutely necessary to enjoy the full experience. Can I trust this theater that I will get real IMAX, or am I better off heading to the nearest IMAX theater? (I couldn't find any near me so that might be a problem).

How is digital IMAX anyway? How is it compared to real IMAX? Thanks.

2. JoshimusPrime20

JoshimusPrime20 Autobot

News Credits:
    I wish I had an answer for you but I don't unfortunately as I also have never saw a film in an IMAX theatre before, sorry man:( 

3. Matt-o-matic

Matt-o-matic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As far as I know if it uses the word 'IMAX' then it's IMAX. The stand alone IMAX cinema in London is actually called the BFI (British Film Institute) it's just an IMAX cinema, but as regular cinemas have got bigger they've become able to accommodate the IMAX screens. The cinema at my local shopping centre, Bluewater is having a total re-fit and has had an IMAX screen installed.

I doubt they'd be able to use the term IMAX if it wasn't a true IMAX screen as it's a trademarked name. :) 

Edit:

Here's your info on digital IMAX:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMAX#Digital_IMAX

I'd say if it's a dedicated IMAX screen that has been built for purpose you're in for the full experience, if it's an existing screen that's been converted then perhaps not. It may be worth checking with the theatre itself.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2014
  4. Blot

Blot Terrorcon Foot Soldier

News Credits:
  5. moylan55

moylan55 Well-Known Member

You should be fine I watched on a "fake" IMAX and it looked and sounded amazing, but yeah if it says IMAX it is IMAX. Original IMAX is better than digital, but you'll still have a great experience either way

6. Omega Charge

Omega Charge CHARGE ON

News Credits:
    Actually, there is a huge difference between true native IMAX and the now abundant normal screens that have been more or less retrofitted. True IMAX screens have a different ratio and are far larger. The difference is night and day if you go to both. A true IMAX screen is practically the size of the side of a building.

Here's an extremely helpful map of true IMAX vs fake locations: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...d=113621990356540393221.000469b6c5915161c3667

Both are upgrades over a normal screen amd can boast improved audio and visuals, but it's worth it to track down a real IMAX theater.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  7. moylan55

moylan55 Well-Known Member

I've been to both on the same day actually, the difference isn't that great in my opinion

8. Matrix1981

Matrix1981 It's Hot Rod's fault...

Check the 3-d Glasses too. Normal 3-d reald and all that other jazz use disposable glasses, while the "Imax" theater's use some massive, "give them back before you leave" glasses.

9. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I answered you over there. :wink: 

10. mdiaz2012

mdiaz2012 Member

Yes bro. Real IMAX theaters have a 80ft tall screen. The miniMax as I like to call it are only about 50ft tall. Also the real imax theaters have a special seating aarrangement. The real Imax theater have stadium seating that allows the viewer to have a much greater movie experience. MiniMax theaters the seating pulls the audience further away from the screen.
    You should google real imax in your city.