I'm surprised that people hated DOTM

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Shizuka, May 27, 2014.

1. primal789

primal789 Prime

News Credits:
    If Sam is not in there is no reason why they should be

2. toaprime

toaprime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I thought that DOTM was a great movie. One thing that I did not like was Starscream's death, because he literally fought no TFs all movie, but I see how it applies to its character. I was surprised by the fact that Shockwave died, as I thought they could use him as a sequel, but I liked his brutishness in DOTM.

I also liked Megatron because you really pity him and realize that he has nowhere to go but down. Sentinel was cool and a great fighter.

The Autobots were awesome. I felt bad for Ironhide, but he was the perfect one to die. They should have mentioned him though. Que became one of my favorite Bots because he stood out as the innocent one, not willing to harm anything, yet he saved the day with his weapons. It doesn't get anymore "robot scene" than the Mexican standoff either. Sideswipe was cool, along Bee and OP.

The characterization was great for Wheelie and Brains as well, as they had to prove their worth to the Bots.

All in all, generally, every TF has a role to play (except Mirage) in DOTM, and I feel they did really well.

3. normtrooper

normtrooper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I made the mistake of reading the novel before seeing it. I went at midnight and literally threw my 3d glasses in the recycling box I was so disappointed. I felt like I had wasted two yrs of coming on tfw
    to excitedly read updates of what was going to be the best movie in the trilogy.
    It has way too much filler of material that I don't care about
    I went in expecting mirage and wheel jack and instead got...we'll you know.
    But what really bothered me was the final battle is great and all but it's purely a human vs. generic deception battle with quick shots of the wreckers or ratchet firing a few rounds followed by soldiers finishing the battle..

To me what killed it was the final battle in my eyes it was the exact same battle from rotf humans fighting and every few minutes an autobot shows up and we'll does nothing but either die or let Optimus fight. But even Optimus takes a seat to Sam.

That's my issue I would rather have 2 min of ratchet fighting sound wave or sideswipe fighting barricade than 10 min of humans shooting deceptions..if that means shorter movie so be it.

But all that aside it's a beautifully shot movie that I've made peace with and have watched a lot I own it and have watched it countless times cuz as an action movie it's good and cool to see my favorite bots on screen...I just wish they did more

4. unicronic

unicronic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    The parachute was the beginning of the end. He perished in main because he couldn't get a piece of cloth off his head.

5. normtrooper

News Credits:
    This post is both funny and sad at the same time...

6. PcPrime23

PcPrime23 501st Legion Trooper

News Credits:
    The first film will always be the best of the three in my opinion. But I still really like DOTM! It's a great movie

7. normtrooper

News Credits:
    One last thing the proof of no character development is this. My wife is the opposite of me she is the farthest thing from a nerd and she lets me have transformers all over the house but doesn't know jack about em. She also knows nothing about any other superhero genre..

So I took her to see Dark of the Moon..afterwards I asked her to name characters she said Optimus...bumblebee...ummm. So I said what about the red Italian car or the silver. Corvette? Nothing she couldn't name anyone.

We just saw x men days of future past..I asked her the same question. Her answer wolverine mystique iceman and actually I just realized I would be typing a list too long for my pad...

And this isn't just my wife if I ask my friends to name transformers from the movies they just can't get past 2 or 3

8. jamspeed

jamspeed Follow me on Instagram _jamspeed_

Ebay:
    I agree, it had a promising start for me but never let the "Transformers" take the lead and star in the movie. I don't even have a problem with Sam and a couple soldiers, but give them one smaller task as a side story and let the Autobots do all the heavy lifting.

Action wise the movie was just not as fun for me, I would much rather watch RotF. Lets face it most of us who buy the movies just fast forward to the "money" scenes and in that case DotM looses out, unless you really like Driller robots.

9. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    DOTM was the best "Transformers" movie of the first 3, and it's not even close. It was good to see what Kruger was able to bring to the table being free from O&K. Gives me hope for AOE to see what he can do in his own sandbox.

10. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    DOTM is good but the build up towards the final hour just puts you to sleep. That's why I'm liking AOE so far. From what we've heard, shit will get real from a very early point in the film, instead of having some girls ass in front of the camera dating a jobless crybaby.

11. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    It was a trend in the right direction, but really, Bay's style has worn out its welcome with me.
    The film becomes much tighter in the 2nd half, but the first half is largely about a completely unlikable Sam Witwicky.

And movies like Avengers and X-men First Class have shown you can have compelling stories with multiple superpowered characters.

I'm so very sick of all the humans in the Bayverse running around like they have head injuries.
    It's like Bay has one direction for all the actors "act like an idiot".
    What's the point of having a fantastic actor like John Malkovich if all he does is act like an idiot? John Tutoro and Alan Tudyk's crazy antics were great on their own, but they were lost in a sea of stupid crazy antics.

12. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

The changes seemed really minor so it wasn't the film that would change people's minds like it was being hyped. So if you were disappointed before, plenty of the same reasons to be disappointed a third time. If someone hated the other two movies there wasn't any changes big enough to turn them into fans.

If someone hated how easy it was to kill Devastator after he had been hyped in the trailers then people weren't going to all of a sudden be happy because it was too easy to kill Shockwave.

While Sam was a pretty good character in the first film, it just felt like there was no reason to have the character in the third film other than the actor had signed a three movie deal. Instead of doing something shocking and memorable like kill off Sam in the third film they decided no have him survive in case we can talk the actor into part 4.

Film also did not live up the Bay hype that it would a be a film that would require part 4 to be a reboot.

I still put the first film as the best of the three because it's the Jurassic Park effect. The first time you see the dinosaurs it's a wow factor. After that it seems all down hill because you can't get that wow factor back. Stronger and stronger Autobots fighting weaker and weaker Decepticons doesn't really help when other films are uping the villains.

13. axiom

axiom What the what?!?! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Basically, get rid of the job hunt and anything to do with Sam's job and I'm ok with the film. If I watch it, I skip right through all that crap.

14. Burnout00012

Burnout00012 SKREEEEEEEOONK

Oh I know that. Hell, I wouldn't mind a spin-off about Sam's parents dealing with Transformers...

Now THERE'S an idea..

15. axiom

axiom What the what?!?! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Yeah, like a short film about what happened during their abduction from France in ROTF. That could be entertaining.

16. Dillatron

Dillatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This.

17. provocateur

provocateur Active Member

i think production would benefit if they had more time with the movie. Heck star wars and man of steel have begun principal photography and star wars is coming december next year, and man of steel in two years. On the other hand age of extinction started pre production just last May!
    It saddens me that sometimes these movies seem rushed when they should take care and precision to ensure a satisfying experience for the audience :/

18. Chris James

Chris James Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I understand people having problems with the film but certainly don't understand the hate because despite a bunch of flaws, there was plenty of good things in DotM. I've said this before, TF07 is the best overall movie in the series but DotM is best "Transformers" movie because it incorporates the robots much better than the first 2. AoE looks like it's gonna blow all 3 movies out the water though.

19. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The only thing I didn't like about that movie was the bathroom scene, I mean I can understand the importance behind it but did they really have to do it like that?

Everything else was ok though, wish I could say the same about the toy line.

20. Scorpio

Scorpio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Pretty much this ^

While DOTM improved on some parts from the other films - it still had the aspects that people hated. I consider it the best of the trilogy - but still, each of the films have the same problems its just in varied amount.

TF;2007 had it less obviously in a majority of the cast.
    ROTF had it worse, occurring obviously in a majority of the cast.
    DOTM had it obviously in a minority of the cast.