I'm going to Disneyland!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lumpy, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    why don't you like rainforest cafe? we're going there tomorrow to see some extended family...

and we already have our tickets for 6 flags, bought them online for cheaper...

2. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    We have been to the rainforest cafe twice and the T-Rex cafe once (t-Rex is a Dino themed Place similar to the rainforest cafe in downtown disney Florida.) all three times were brutal. Sure the ambiance is nice, but after the stupid rain showers the first two times it gets annoying, especially if you are seated below the stupid monkey. Also, its not a great value IMO. Pricey dishes, extra cost for sides (more $ for fries instead of chips???, uh wtf?) making it cLear that you are paying for the view, Which gets real old quick. I do hope that you guys have a better time though.

That's cool about 6 flags. I do like the dc superheroes that the rides are based on. Let me know if it is worth it.

What hotel are you guys staying at??

3. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    we've got a timeshare, so we're staying there... and i hear you on the rainforest cafe noise... but this'll only be our 3rd time going there, so it's still fun, for now.

4. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Three times and you still like going? Wow, I'm thinking that Maybe I'm the one That's wrong about the place, lol. At any rate, have a great trip!!!

5. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have a season pass
    the Blue Bayou is the most romantic place to eat and thats the restaurant inside Pirates of the Carribean
    The restaurant next to Splash Mountain is called Hungry Bear and it is really good for quickl service and isn't as pricy

6. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As someone with an 8 year old and a 4 year old (and a 3 day old!), I would recommend not doing theme parks more than 2 days in a row. Tired kids make the magic wear off very quickly. Have fun though!

7. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

i love hauted masion at diseny world

8. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can see what you are saying I just recommend going to the hotel in the afternoon and take a 2 hour nap, get recharged, always seems to work for me.

9. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    I'm going this summer.

10. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

I wish you were going to Disneyland next week, instead. That's when I plan to visit Disneyland because WonderCon moved to Anaheim this year. Visiting a comic convention and an amusement in the same day is F-U-N.

11. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Say no to scavenger hunts.

12. TimToyGeek

TimToyGeek Well-Known Member

I live in LA, and have had a pass to Disneyland for years. Here are some of my tips, tricks and food recommendations:

1. Breakfast at either of the Character brunches is a good way to fill up on some decent food. They're buffets, but the quality of the food is better than
    you would suspect - smoked salmon, omelet stations, good pizza, etc. You can get a solid base in you that should last for most of the day. It's about $30, and you need a reservation.

2. Corndog. I can't recommend these enough. There's the little red wagon at the end of Main Street USA, and Corndog Castle at California Adventure. Ask for yours to be done extra crunchy so that they'll fry you one up fresh rather than give you one of the ones that have been sitting there for a little while.

3. Also in the park, the turkey legs and chimichangas are good. The bacon wrapped asparagus at Bengal Barbecue (across from Indiana Jones) is delicious. I'm not a huge fan of most of the restaurants in the park, but I hear that recently they have gotten better. I do hear that most of the food in Tomorrowland is still bad.

4. I like Blue Bayou well enough - they have a killer monte cristo sandwich - but even better for cajun food and good music is Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen at downtown Disney.

5. For lunch I like to leave the park and go to Storyteller's Cafe or the little poolside snack bar at Grand Californian - if you're in California Adventure, you can duck out directly into the hotel area through a little exit near the water ride. Both are good food (the chicken sandwich, burger, and nachos are great), fairly cheap (about the same as in the park) air conditioned and quiet.

6. I don't really recommend the chain restaurants around the park too much. There's a branch of Lee's Sandwiches within a short drive of the park
    in Garden Grove - which are banh mi, or Vietnamese sandwiches. Inexpensive, filling and delicious. I have also had a decent breakfast at Jagerhaus nearby the park in Anaheim, it's a german-style pancake restaurant.

7. You can't go wrong with Churros. I also like the rice krispie treats and jumbo coconut macaroons at the main street bakery. The ice cream parlor is overpriced but the fresh waffle cones are worth a try. The ice cream at the stands around the park are super-frozen and could rip your lips off if you're not careful.

8. Don't miss California Adventure, there are some fun rides there and it's generally less crowded there. You can drink there too, there are beer stands (overpriced and undergood), wine tastings, and there's a bar located over the Ariel's Grotto restaurant that has good margaritas and lobster nachos.

9. See the World of Color show. Get a fastpass for it first thing in the morning at CA Adventure, it's amazing. I like Tower of Terror, California Screamin, that Toy Story 3D shooting game, Soarin' is fun as well. CA Adventure is undergoing some heavy renovations now, so it's kind of a pain to get in, but the main part is still fine to get around in.

10. Magic Kingdom is always fun. You have five days, hit everything you can, go early for the park opening ceremony, stay late for the fireworks, enjoy it. I never miss Haunted Mansion and the teacups.

11. The season's pass is good for 10% off of anything you buy at the park, including food. They usually prompt you for it, but make sure you use it. You get that at Downtown Disney too. Last time I was there I bought some art from the Disneyana Gallery and saved a good $100 or so. They have reasonable shipping rates if you want to buy something big.

12. Magic Mountain is okay, but usually very hot, maybe 20 degrees hotter than Disneyland on a sunny day. It's far from Disney, go early in the day and plan on a longer drive than you would think. The food there is bad. There's a Stonefire Grill at the mall nearby, that's pretty decent. The coasters are by far the main (I think the only) draw there.

Let me know if you'd like any other tips for SoCal or Disney. Have fun!

Tim
    "toy geek"

13. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You need to get the Mickey ice bars they were all over Main St. (pretty good)

14. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I live in Palmade right next door to Valencia and taught in Valencia for two years (you could see Magic Mountain from my classroom)

I wuld say magic Mountain is more of a thrill park with tons of coasters. BUT magic Mountain has had tons of fights and gangs problems so please be careful
    YES Stone Fire Grill is the best thing in the workld my dad always gets me a $50 gift cartificate there for Christmas and the mall in Valencia isn't bad either.

15. Optimus_Prowl

Optimus_Prowl Koruption_Kosplay

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Ok time to crack out the knowledge of working here at the park!

Good eats are all over the place but I would recommend before you leave to get the gumbo in New Orleans squares and try the beignets at the mint julep window by the train station. :D 

16. JazzHunter83

JazzHunter83 Mrs FatalT

So jealous........

17. Jadryx

Jadryx Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    We're taking our family to Disneyland too (but in a couple weeks!) I'm so excited!

18. BMBquimby

BMBquimby Tripredacus Agent

Not exactly in Disneyland but thought it was appropriate here lol. Check out the collectables store VERY close to Disneyland (about 3-5 mins). Some really cool stuff in there, I visit it every time I make it down to Disneyland.

Phat Collectables (dont be turned off by the name its still cool lol)
    1201 S. Euclid Street

19. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Make sure you mention what time the 3 o'clock parade is.