I'm giving up toy collecting.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by transtrekkie, Aug 23, 2021.

1. RamenJunkie

RamenJunkie Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    It would depend on what is collected for sure. At this point, for example, I don't really care about Studio Series 86, which was mentioned, and everything is more easily found. I don't need yet another Blurr and yet another Arcee. In general, the problem plagues other lines more than Transformers. A lot of Star Wars Black Series are a pain to find. Marvel Legends are like 50% exclusives these days it feels like, though at least for the most part these often fall into the "don't care category. Also ML has an entirely different annoyance/problem where character I would love to have figures of get packaged in multi packs with figures I already have, meaning that figure ultimately is costing 2x+ what it would normally cost, since it includes a spare figure I don't need or want.

Imports and more high end stuff, which is a bigger part of what i care about these days though have a whole mess of other issues and definitely often fall into the realm of, "buy it now or never".

Plus everything feels endlessly delayed anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Houndini

Houndini On hiatus until someone cleans up this cesspool…

No point in debating a problem with someone, when their whole argument is that the problem flat out doesn't exist.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Seanprime

Seanprime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Orrrr maybe the problems isn’t as bad as the person I was going back and forth with makes it out to be. If you have nothing to add please leave me alone. I never said the problem doesn’t exist so stop putting words in my mouth

4. Houndini

Houndini On hiatus until someone cleans up this cesspool…

Yes, you never directly said it doesn't exist, but to everything he said, your reply was basically "well, go pre-order it somewhere else, duh" implying that the solution is very simple, and hence, the problem is a non-issue. Maybe thats not what you meant, but it comes off as such. Anyways, this is going nowhere, so conversation over...

• Like Like x 2
  5. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have a question that just came to mind as I was thinking of this thread... and I figured that I'd rather ask here than create another thread (but I might).

I was wondering if any, if there's any correlation with people that end up quitting with the type of collector that they are?

For those that have quit, are quitting, and are considering it, what type of collector are you?
    1. display the figures only and don't play with them
    2. display them and will play with some of them on occasion
    3. display them in the boxes and never took them out
    4. display is meant to just have them somewhere and it's all about playing with them
    5. in the boxes, still unopened, don't display, in a closet/bin/drawer, just happy to state that they are in your collection
    6. out of the boxes, in a closet/bin/drawer because no space (or other) to display, takes them out to play
    I would assume that someone that do play with them regularly would tend to not get "tired" of their collection as much as someone that only display them (or leave them in boxes).

Just wondering.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
  6. RamenJunkie

RamenJunkie Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:

7. Make stupid meme photos for 4chan /toy/ boards.

Also somewhere between 2 and 4, but not 3 which makes the math funny.

7. transmasterc

transmasterc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Great more for us. Seriously though I like the stuff they are putting out. Quit in my case? No, though I will scale back. I don’t buy every figure. I like to pick and choose.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bakarina

Bakarina Unapologetic Megatron Fangirl

The exclusives have gotten ridiculous. Making Ironhide and Ratchet Amazon exclusives that were basically all bought out even before release was just insane. But not as insane as making Netflix Bumblebee, perhaps the second if not the third most popular character in the franchise, in his defacto definitive G1 form, an exclusive. Worlds collide BMB and "Saucer" BMB are passable alternatives in bot mode, but neither of them have the bug alt mode. Oh yeah and they're both exclusives as well... Freakin' hasbro man.

• Like Like x 2
  9. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

2. I've always said that a toy in it's box does me no good.

As for the discussion on difficulty: There were very specific things that make this a frustrating experience for me. 1: Transformers Earthrise Amazon exclusives: Prowl and Ironhide, Ratchet with Paradron Medic, and Ramjet and Dirge were just terrible. The figures themselves were great. BUT, the release of them was terrible. All of them sold out immediately and the ones that didn't sold out by the time I had the money to afford them... which meant I could no longer afford them at ebay prices. Things changed later and I wound up biting the bullet on them anyway. The conehead seekers were $329. For just Dirge and Ramjet. 2: Masters of the Universe: Origins/Mega Construx. I was enjoying MOTU Origins for quite a while until the last 5 months. Then something happened and it just became a nightmare. Tri Klops was the figure that broke Origins for me. I saw ONE at retail and never again. Previous waves were actually showing up in decent enough quantities that I really wasn't concerned about being able to get it later. I did finally get one from BBTS, four months later. And look, yeah, I could have bought one on Amazon and had here the next day. For 30.00. It should retail for 14.99. And yes, that was from Amazon NOT a 3rd party seller. And they do that all the time now. So, yeah I got one finally, but by that point, who cared? I certainly didn't anymore, which is largely what led to my decision. I was considering keeping the Mega Construx figures because the thing that got me into them to begin with was the fact that I could find them at retail at decent prices. Then they pulled the Amazon thing. Main versions of popular main characters being exclusive and selling out within minutes. Trap Jaw, Man E Faces, Scare Glow, Roboto, and a version of Tri Klops were all sold together on Amazon. I specifically passed on another version of Trap Jaw at retail because I wanted his regular version. I didn't buy it right away because I didn't have the money and none of them had been hard to get at that point. Went to order them when I finally had them money and it was the conehead seekers all over again. Not even listed on Amazon anymore and only like, 3 on ebay for over $400!!! That was the final straw. Now when I look at any toys that MOTU, the frustration and anger is all I feel. I want them gone. All of them.

So my experience is: Can't get them in store, you can get them online if you're willing to pay through the nose for it. Not all of us have the budget to be able to pre order everthing so those of us that want to get them later have to either miss out or pay through the nose to some greedy scalper. And in my case, even if I do manage to get some of this stuff, they just don't bring the enjoyment that they used to. And at that point you have to ask "What's the point?"

• Like Like x 1
  10. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    Sounds like you are where i am but there is a slight diffrence between us, im only two toys away from hanging up the collectors cap, okay that reason alone would of been good enough to retire after all once you have everything your done right, but all the issues you have been going though, i have been going though as well, i just gave up and paid the higher prices in places like BBTS and just started smacking things off my list, not gonna lie, it feels good to be done, sure i need sureshot and pointblank but im actually using fill in characters for them, if they ever get real toys ill buy them, the toys that are coming out now arent as good as the old toys, sure they have better articulation but there just not that much better

• Like Like x 1