I'm drunk and from leak squad, I quit it and here it is on a throwaway

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by wreckgar39, Dec 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UnethicalVoxel

UnethicalVoxel The Red Right Hand

News Credits:
    My name is Josh... for the sake of the transformers fandom, I will recover Super Bumblebee!

• Like Like x 7
  2. Patrickab7

Patrickab7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wants include Monstructor, Raiden, Blaster and cassettes, Buzzsaw, Goldbug, Needlenose...

• Like Like x 5
  3. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Gnodab Kidult (He/Him)

News Credits:
    Seems pretty straightforward. A handful of people carry themselves as "experts" within the TF fan community and use that status to bring in the big bucks through vlogs and Patreon subs. If stuff like wreckgar's leaks blow up their analysis, it means they aren't the experts they purport to be...in which case they worry they'll start to lose subs. Afterall, why pay for their "knowledge" when anons like wreckgar are handing out the goods for free?

Let me use myself as an example: I mocked people a few weeks back because I thought the Black Zarak stuff was a bad April Fools joke. Then the listing was confirmed on Pulse and I immediately admitted I was wrong and even poked fun at myself for it.

Some of these "experts" refuse to accept they're not the pros they think they are, and now this is turning towards animosity against people like wreck-gar. It's like when big name journos steal scoops from smaller local reporters because they're mad they're losing their clout.

We also see it with regards to self-proclaimed "superfans" of various corners of the franchise who like to pretend they speak for that fanbase when they rip HasTak for various figures/design choices. Then the toy comes out, everybody else loves it, and it sells well...and they melt down because they can't handle that they're entire self-image (which got wrapped up in their fandom) doesn't carry the weight they thought it did.

• Like Like x 31
  4. WolverineDragon

WolverineDragon Banned

Wow are Chris and this will guy so insecure about their internet status that they have to resort to picking on a leaker on one internet forum because why? Honestly its petty and sad.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 20
  5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    God that sounds good. I could definitely use some of that at work, though I guess that'd be a bad idea.

Well when you say it like that it just sounds utterly pathetic. :I

It also seems, I dunno, "unfair" to rag on this one dude who's only "famous" for leaks when they have a dedicated following online?

I hesitate to use the term "punching down" but blasting a guy on Twitter instead of just coming to the thread to give your opinion "in person" seems a little insecure.

• Like Like x 15
  6. wreckgar39

wreckgar39 I'm just a simple man, trying to make my way.

News Credits:
    You're going to have to pry him from ny cold, dead hands. Which, in the grand scheme of things won't be hard. I have no muscle and according to my physician, the bones of an elderly woman. Drink your milk they said, build strong bones they said. They said nothing about drinking too much milk...
    I love how we all know exactly who you're talking about.

• Like Like x 13
  7. T-Hybrid

News Credits:
    It's also a very common way high-profile figures within a fandom use their platform to harass others out of it. They talk like this about an anonymous rando, and some overzealous fan or another takes it as a suggestion to make their life miserable. Usually ending in the anonymous rando getting doxxed. All the while the high-profile figure either says nothing or does their best Willy Wonka impersonation: "Stop no, don't."

I mean, it is what it is.

• Like Like x 9
  8. Galvatron1998

Galvatron1998 Maximal

News Credits:
    Welp, time to unsubscribe from Mr. TFWiki.

• Like Like x 15
  9. Jeddostotle7

Jeddostotle7 Well-Known "Member"

I still don't really get how that explains it, cuz like, people like Chris at the very least seem to hold themselves more as experts of like, Transformers History, Lore, and Trivia, and I don't see how even they could see leaks about upcoming product as "threatening" that in that framework. The animosity from them still just doesn't quite make sense to me.

• Like Like x 4
  10. jmagnus83

jmagnus83 Well-Known Member

man do I love this thread!

Edit - I wanted to post a gif but got gobbledygook instead. Any help here?

• Like Like x 2
  11. T-Hybrid

News Credits:
    Think of it like someone who considers themselves experts of Marvel lore. They can lean on that expertise as a way to monetize analysis and theories of upcoming MCU or comic storylines. But if there was someone who could just pop up and go "No actually Phase 4 is going to end with Julie Louis Dreyfus revealing she's actually Galactus" it blows up that entire revenue stream.

• Like Like x 9
  12. B3k

B3k Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jeddostotle7

Jeddostotle7 Well-Known "Member"

But that still requires their bread and butter to be content regarding speculation about the future of the franchise, and that doesn't really seem to be the case for at least Chris in particular from what I've seen. This to me doesn't really explain Chris's unwarranted anger.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Michael Payton

Michael Payton Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Trade him an Overlord to stop.

• Like Like x 3
  15. T-Hybrid

News Credits:
    I think the more entertaining outcome would be the people who'd tell on themselves by getting mad I said it.

It's still a punch to the ego.

• Like Like x 7
  16. orangeitis

orangeitis All orange, all the time. Looks infectious.

News Credits:
    Yeah, cartoon screenshots are never a good metric for scale. That's why official scale charts exist in the first place - so we have objective measuring of characters in relation to each other.

post-1017-0-51285500-1390033880.jpg

• Like Like x 12
  17. Jacdoprime

Jacdoprime Probably being bored

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Put the gif link in the insert url button? Idk.

18. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Improved it how? WFC Jetfire's already pretty much perfect, with a lot of great tricks and gimmicks to his transformation that result in two really good show-accurate modes.

Also you're using one screencap that has inaccurate scale, when in Skyfire's main episodes he's very clearly much bigger than that on average. The WFC figure is fine scale, and fine engineering. Making him a Leader class would only downgrade both of those.

• Like Like x 6
  19. Optimalprimal

Optimalprimal Diecast construction. It's a lost art.

Hey, why does geewun get to wear the crown again? JK. :) 

• Like Like x 3
  20. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

If you are mad because you leaked info to someone and that person got a tiny bit of notoriety because they shared that info- would that be an example of “you played yourself”?

The funny thing about human nature is that it’s not fun to be in a secret club or private club if no one knows about it. I’ve been part of a secret TF/Growing Pains fan fiction group for eleven years! I’m only telling you this now to feel... special? If being secret was important, why break it?

Lastly, this fandom is hilarious with how it conducts its “gatekeeping.” Other fandoms gatekeep “casual” or “fake” fans. Do we actually gatekeep against ourselves? Like some folks think they’re super duper uper hardcore and regular hardcore is not good enough.

Regardless, I have no ill will to anyone on this thread.

• Like Like x 8
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.