I'm 35,and was told too old to buy transformers!!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by MOTOGPFAN46, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Shockwave81

Shockwave81 Protecting Cybertron from all hostile threats Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm 32 - coming up 33. Collecting anything is an interesting little pastime.

The reasons for doing it could be very simple, or quite complex - but one thing is certain - they are all unique.

I have let go of over 300 Transformers in the past year, while forming my collection into something that I actually want, rather than just getting anything that may be released with the logo on it to fill boredom/times of uncertainty or a burning sense of nostalgia.

I can now easily recall which TF's I have in my collection, and they all have some kind of significance/relevance. I still have a bit of money to spend until I get what I want, but should happily be able to call it quits once I have my desired G1 cartoon characters (the problem is when new/updated/'perfect' versions of favourites are released.)

Strangely, I'd recommend selling/gifting a few if you are having doubts about it or feel like you need to justify getting anything else. It's quite a cleansing experience! I've given away dozens of Transformers to nephews (and my niece), as well as my friend's son. I don't miss them at all.

Also - as the old saying goes, life is not a dress rehearsal. Do what makes you happy now, because we're a long time dead!

2. kgorman79

kgorman79 WAVE POUNDER

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Completely agree with this! Wise words!

I'm 35 and long story short, collecting transformers makes me happy. I get a kick out of getting one in a shop or receiving one in the mail.
    I loved them as a kid and still love them now.

3. Blaspherian

Blaspherian Well-Known Member

I am 35, and will ALWAYS have my Primes on display. I get some eye rolls or questions about it once in a while, but it's my life, and it makes me happy. If people don't understand that, I'm hanging around the wrong people.

Plus, I buy interactive transforming art, not toys.

4. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    38. Married. 2 kids. House. Good job. Collection of G1 and MP figures.

Living the dream.

5. Jerrymiru

Jerrymiru TF Ninja

36 and still collecting. And also turned into a hoby of customs as well. People tend to shut up when I tell them that and that they can go for $$$.

6. Electro Rush

Electro Rush Just a guy waiting for the perfect Whirl

I'm 33, which gives me two more years before I have to give them up and grow up and stuff. So it goes :p 

7. jametron

jametron Release the Kraken!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    Well, a lot of original G1 fans are hitting 35-40... Probably questioning more than ever if we're getting too old for toys.

I am 37 and have hundreds of Transformers, not to mention a shit ton of Star Wars, superheroe, LOTR, etc... Wouldn't change a thing. As long as my child, wife and other priorities continue to come first, there's no problem IMHO.

8. RocketPunchArmy

RocketPunchArmy Active Member

Just turned 39 in September/Married/3 year old and my living room has 5 Detolfs full of robots and 6 shelves full of TFs. Ive never been told Im too old but I can sometimes see it in visitors eyes "I wonder how much money he would have if he sold all this." Most just drop their jaw!

You do what makes you happy. Not only do I collect robots, I also photograph for CollectionDX and review them for my channel RocketPunchArmy so its a big part of my life. I guess by being so involved with them people dont say anything cause its part of what I do. Plus it helps that my wife is cool with it and her best friends husband also collects and we hang out and leave em alone to do their thing.

I think its our culture to think that toys are only for kids. Kids need entertainment and something to boost imagination, fine. As adults we tend to hold onto things that make us remember our good days as a kid but also appreciate them in ways we couldnt as a kid. Companies know the adult market is HUGE hence expensive highly detailed toys coming out. Seems other countries like Japan don't frown upon adult collectors which is why so much high end stuff comes from there. I believe thats changing quickly, I mean even Barnes and Nobles is becoming a spot you can run in and grab collectibles.

So no, you arent too old. As long as you enjoy it, do it.

9. kiyoshioni

kiyoshioni The Knife

Im 33 and will soon begin to cultivate...no...curate my collection into pieces that I love versus all the stuff I bought just to buy. Its not that Im too old for toys, but now as I get older, I want quality over quantity

10. kiyoshioni

kiyoshioni The Knife

Oh. Also I guess I should say Im married. Decent job. Planning on having kids soon. For more of a demographic history / info

11. Vagabond Elf

Vagabond Elf Well-Known Member

Well, that's easily enough solved by (and this is a shocking idea) talking to your wife.

Sarcasm aside, if you're 36 with a daughter you're long past due to have a serious conversation of "what happens if one of us gets hit by a bus?" That's not a real fun conversation - but it's an important one. It should cover not only funerary wishes and obscure things like "the collection will be worth a lot of money if you take the time to sell it properly" but also making plans with your partner for how each of you would cope with out the other, and so on.

Overly serious for this forum? Maybe. But "Hope for the best, plan for the worst" is good advice in general, and we're pretty much all grown-ups here.

12. Metroplex79

Metroplex79 Hey mouse, say cheese!

I'm also 35 and have over 1000 TFs.

I am not stopping, why are you?

13. Henners

Henners Sonicron

Ebay:
    I got multiple reactions. I'm 26, My sister tried to bash me on Facebook about it.

My Dad, who is 52 - shrugged when I mentioned that. Quote "Pff...look what I collect. *points to 2 large display cabinets with model cars"

My mom thought my figures were my brothers (who is 21 and a little delayed) and teased him by saying she'd sell his figures. i was like "Those are mine" "Henry, you're 26!" "So?" "Eh."

So my parents really don't give a shit, my wife collects figures, my brother is my partner in crime with collecting...so...none of the people I care about don't give a shit.

14. solarstorm

solarstorm Well-Known Member

I get very few comments. Some of my students (teens) think its cool that I collect. Some cashiers try to do the collectible/speculation conversation. Others dont say anything. No issues from friends or family, but they're used to it.

Only negative was Reveal The Shield Jazz a few years ago. A white trash target cashier made a comment about being too old. She then told me that I should be home 'watching the race' which Im assuming was NASCAR or something along those lines.

15. Orion72

Orion72 Well-Known Member

41, Its a fun hobby!

16. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    Just turned 40, so nope. I wouldn't say you're too old.

17. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My parents and brother don't mind at all, always interested to see something new in the collection, a couple of my wife's friends gave me the "why don't you sell them?" spiel, but no one really gives me a hard time about it

18. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

I'm 34, and I still buy Transformers, and other toys. My wife isn't always too fond of that, but she doesn't raise much of a fuss.

19. flatline72

flatline72 Banned

News Credits:
    first, grow a set and spend your $$$ on what you want to.

42 years old and still buying dozens of transformers a year.....

20. GrandMaXimus

GrandMaXimus Party in my tummy!!! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I'm 39 and don't see an end in sight. I'm buying more now that my son is getting into it.