I'm 35,and was told too old to buy transformers!!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by MOTOGPFAN46, Oct 23, 2014.

1. bsutton1

bsutton1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You are never too old to enjoy the things that you love.

2. rosewater

rosewater Well-Known Member

I'm 40, a dad, a homeowner, a career guy, and I've been seriously collecting since 1991. I've been over people's opinion about ANYTHING I do for most of my life. My friends are awesome. My wife is awesome. My son is awesome. My whole life is awesome. And I have a fresh-as-hell toy room to boot. So there.

3. MOTOGPFAN46

MOTOGPFAN46 Well-Known Member

Thanks everybody,for sharing your comments.
    I just joined the site a couple of days ago,and didn't think i would get so much feedback.
    You guys are AWESOME!!

4. turbobluestreak

turbobluestreak Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm 30 and off to TFCON, never too old!

tbs

5. DogFriedRice

DogFriedRice Well-Known Member

Sorry but you are too young to buy TFs. You should be collecting TMNTs or something.

6. Rquiem

Rquiem Dutchbot

News Credits:
    I'm 33, and still in to it.
    My friends always encourage me and are genuinely interested when I get something new.
    Are always curious and never tease me or start flaming me for still collecting.
    LOL, when I stopped collecting the Masterpiece figures and sold them off a friend look sad at me literately said he just saw me sell something he considered a part of me.
    A month ago I decided to start collecting the MP's again, another friend of mine noticed and bought me a Ravage USB drive that he stumbled upon, say'd the exact same thing.
    He say'd "here, I saw it and just immediately thought of you!". Others just plainly said that if I die they would all place the MP's I have in my casket.
    Damn good friends I have.

Outside of them, I really just don't give a damn. It's my life, my choice and my goddamn money and time.

So my advice?
    Start collecting and have a blast. Go to conventions to meet other people like yourself. And if people tell otherwise than what you really want to do?
    Tell them your interests just don't match but you are sure those people have some hobby's you just don't care about.
    But stay nice!

7. Vagabond Elf

Vagabond Elf Well-Known Member

Amen, brother!

I'm 38, and sod it, it's my money. The only time I've had any issues with being "old" that were related to toys was when I realised the IT guy was younger than than the toy on my office computer. But beyond that? I keep a few toys at work, and have my MOTUC, Macross, Masterpiece/3P Transformers, Doctor Who and a couple shelves of Star Wars figs proudly displayed in my living room; and the only room in the house that doesn't have any toys in it right now is the guest bathroom.

(Why yes, I do live alone! I lived with someone the toys'd be less everywhere - but not because I'd be embarrassed, but because it wouldn't be "my" living room, but "our" living room, and it would have to feel just as comfortable and welcoming for her as it does for me.)

When someone tells you how to live your life, give them the bird and carry on. (If that someone is your partner, ask them to break down their feelings and explain, in great detail, why it's an issue for them. This is awkward and difficult but ultimately good for the relationship, as it forces both of you to examine what's important to you and what can just slide. Respect their comments and feelings, of course - but respect your own, as well, and don't let things like "It's dumb!" stand alone.)

Anyway, I probably spend less each month on toys than many of my friends do on booze and strippers - and come the next morning, I've still got my $200 transformer, and all they've got is a hangover.

I gotta be honest, my mid-life crisis involved a woman 19 years my junior. (I remind the audience I am 38.) But this is a family forum so I'll skip the details. :)  It was fun while it lasted, though.

8. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Board Certified Fans Trollar

News Credits:
    I am 36 and it's been a while since I give a crap what people say. I am not hurting anyone and it's my money.

9. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:
    I'm 39, still collect. Not as much as I used to(changing interests), but I get a few here and there.

Years ago, my mom made a comment to my wife, about me collecting, calling it a "waste of money".

My wife pointed out to her, that I spend less a month on tfs than my brothers spend going out to the bars, or buying cigarettes. That was the last time my mom commented on my collecting.

10. mephinc

mephinc Well-Known Member

There's nothing wrong w/ picking up a 19yr old.. just as long as she knows the #1 rule: NO SLEEPOVERS! lol Besides, if you're 38 and she's 19, then you were both using each other. No harm no foul.

And back to topic. Collecting these little guys is significantly cheaper than any of my other hobbies. After sinking $40k into a minitruck and almost $50k into a monster truck I realized I needed to downplay my hobby spending. A few thousand on Transformers is way easier to cope with.
    The majority of my friends don't get why Transformers, but they also don't care because as they (and everyone here) put it "Everyone needs a hobby. To each their own"

11. AutobotJazz1

AutobotJazz1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    :lol  Shiiiiitt I'd bet any parent would rather have they damn teen playing with transformers toys then doing drugs or being in a damn game:lol 

12. Minerva

Minerva Headmaster Jnr

I used to think I was too old, and alone in my hobby, before the internet :p  As soon as I found the internet when I was 21, I realized it wasn't that odd. I'm now 35, I display my collection in my front room, whenever someone walks in it's right there, quite a talking point sometimes.

13. MOTOGPFAN46

MOTOGPFAN46 Well-Known Member

Thanks!
    I'm just sorry about joining the "Prime" fandom so late.

14. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

Shouldn't worry too much about what other people think mate. Most of them are disappointing.

15. ChErikS

ChErikS Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm 36 years old and have been collecting since college. Although I still enjoy it I do think that it may be time to start winding it down. I would never stop entirely, but moving to just the Generations/Classics lines and maybe Masterpiece. Maybe opt to get any great homage piece that comes out in one of the new lines, but overall cut way way back. Part of me doesn't like the idea of it never ending. I currently have the largest guest room in my family's home devoted to it and I sometimes wonder if that's fair to them.

One final thing is that I'm very scared of what would happen to it if I died in an accident/whatever. I don't want my wife or daughter to just call up the local comic book shop guy and get paid pennies on the dollar for the sake of convenience. I'd rather slowly sell it off and put the funds in to something more productive. That way I know collectors got the pieces and my family got the value.

16. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:
    That's pretty much the direction my train of thought is going. Healthwise, i'm not doing the greatest. I still have many years ahead of me, but it got me to thinking about what would happen to my collection when I passed on. My son used to collect, but as he got older, he lost interest. My daughters aren't interested(well, except for my star wars figures). My wife want's nothing to do with it all. So now i'm selling off the majority of it, only buying things that I really have an interest in. And I can honestly say that it feels good. :) 

17. transmasterc

transmasterc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The problem is toy collecting is a drug.:D 

18. EnergonWaffles

EnergonWaffles Autobot's Head Chef Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:

There's no such thing as too old to have a hobby, as long as you can handle your hobby responsibly.

19. CybertronianFan

CybertronianFan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    42 here and still collecting. To JIGOKU! with what others think. It's your happiness you're catering to, not theirs. :D 

20. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Superhero?

News Credits:
    Dont be so bloody ridiculous! if it wasn't for 35+ people being into Transformers there would be no Masterpiece line, no 3rd party fan favourites, and probably no TFW2005.