ILM is back- if there was any doubt

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by bellpeppers, Sep 21, 2017.

1. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Bumblebee

CINEFEX is considered a staple in film industry reading. It covers, specifically, visual effects in films.
    I myself have a pretty healthy collection.
    Anyway, I popped over to the site to check on information regarding the VFX- mainly to see if Laika had any involvement.
    Doesn't look like it.

ILM is doing VFX again. Kinda surprises me because this film is so budget minded; yet I'm not surprised as it makes sense.

PRODUCTION VFX SUPERVISOR: Jason Smith

WRITER: Christina Hodson Ok- I did not know this. I think it's interesting that a female has written this segment of the saga. With a different writer and director this film might be the refresh we have wanted.
    IMDB only has 2 other credits to her name: 'Shut In' and 'Unforgettable'.
    I am surprised a person with so few credits was handed this.

No information given on Production designer or Director of photography.

But it does have a release date of June 8 of 2018. That I did not know.

Right now I am feeling VERY optimistic about this.

• Like Like x 7
    • News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. G1DeadEnd

G1DeadEnd Bring on 5, 6, 7 & 8!

News Credits:
    Noice!

3. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Not sure why that would surprise you about the writer, but not the director.

4. Matt-o-matic

Matt-o-matic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I thought Hasbro had the release date changed to December 2018?

• Like Like x 1
  5. John TheDestroyer

John TheDestroyer Yoinkus

News Credits:
    I thought that too.

• Like Like x 1
  6. SimbaTron

SimbaTron I'm a black guy who loves Transformers

News Credits:
    It is I think this page was updated in July 28 and we found out about the scheduled release date and it said 2018 December

• Like Like x 1
  7. Russian fan

Russian fan Proud Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    If they would switch to another vfx studio, they would kill the last hope:(  I can't understand everyone's excitement about the new director and writer, bringing such unexperienced people in such huge franchise in the current difficult moment... It's even the bigger risk.

8. Livingdeaddan

Livingdeaddan The Sept of Kaon

News Credits:
    Yeah I wondered if Knight would send some work Laikas way, I suppose he could still negotiate some outsourcing from ILM. Transformers models are already established at ILM, so yeah it must be cheaper and practical to continue with them, even if the cost p/h is higher than Laika. I expect they have a lot of cut footage from TLK and AOE they could salvage and re-dress for Bumblebee to keep the manhours down, like Bee fighting Barricade that we glimpsed in commercials but never actually hit the movie.

I'm making a lot of assumptions, i don't know too much about this area, but its interesting to me.

9. Pct1theory

Pct1theory Human Alliance

News Credits:
    Well not only that change but also that the VFX supervisor isn't Scott Farrar for the first time in the series.

10. fallen_revenge

fallen_revenge Movie News Addict

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    It’s needed, desperately. If it didn’t happen now it would have soon happened. Michael Bay already showed he’s done for with TLK. We need something different and new to sort of “revive” this franchise.

11. normtrooper

normtrooper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You could be right, but I think you need to worry less. I think it's gonna be a fresh new take for those who are sick of the Bayformers, and for those who aren't? I really believe having Bay and Lorenzo still on board will keep the Bayformers styling and feel. Look at TMNT, and even Friday the 13th. They felt like Bay films even tho he didn't direct and only produced.

I personally love the Bay action, and Visuals but want a little more story quality and emotion. I think this movie has the potential to make everyone of us fans happy!

I also think Travis knight is an excellent director and will deliver the best quality possible. He is a professional and has his own production company.

12. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    bringing some new blood is not a bad thing

13. John TheDestroyer

John TheDestroyer Yoinkus

News Credits:
    Have you seen Kubo? I have no doubt at all that Travis Knight has what it takes after I watched Kubo.

14. Russian fan

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I love MB's TMNT (I was a huge fan of them, when I was a kid and I'm happy with movie version even more), but TLK has Michael Bay as DIRECTOR and HASN'T his style almost completely. That's why I worry so much. Almost no epic battles, less Bay-style humor, no inspiring heroism, no deep meaning. During production I was thinking "Thanks God, he's on board. So the Movie will be excellent!" I was wrong. Not because MB is not so perfect, but because Paramount and Hasbro took all the power in their hands sand Michael Bay was involved in much smaller scale. The time of big directors making big movies has gone. Now big movies are made by big corporations. Unfortunately, this tendetion is in every series. And seriously, I always didn't demand much from TFs, comparing with other people here. And I adore all the previous 4 Movies (now even more:cry ) which many people call crap. But TLK hasn't that couple of elements which always made me happy.
    One animated movie. Only one! That's too little. And he knows nothing about Transformers!

15. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Just because he did 1 film, doesnt mean he cant do an good work with Bumblebee, we've had directors that only did 1 movie before jumping to a franchise movie without issues

And how do you know he knows nothing about Transformers?.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    So he's on par with Michael Bay.

• Like Like x 2
  17. normtrooper

normtrooper Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Fair enough, I understand your stance then, well we have in common we both love 1-4, but I also loved 5.

However I will disagree with the comment that Travis Knight knows nothing of transformers, as Michael Bay has said on record that he knew nothing of Transformers for the first 2 movies..now he is a proclaimed "expert" but IDK about that

• Like Like x 2
  18. Awesomepow

Awesomepow Banned

News Credits:
    Mr.Travis Knight:More Than Meets The Eye.

Disclaimer:He was once a Cybertronian Knight named Travis.

19. fu2kimus

fu2kimus Well-Known Member

I liked 5 a lot. But where is this sentiment that Bay didn’t have full creative control come from? I’ve never seen any news sources quote this, and Bay has had pretty much full creative control on everyone of his movies. If you read the article that came from the editors of the film you’ll see just how much influence he had. So whether you liked TF5 or not it is all on Bay.

As for this movie, I think it’ll do fine Knight has shown as a director, and a producer he’s very talented, I look forward to see what direction he takes things in.

20. Russian fan

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Since 2015 we had tons of comments from Hasbro (every several months Brian Goldner repeated it) that they seriously increased their level of influence (remember Allspark Studios). Michael Bay even wasn't a director until early 2016. He even didn't participate in writers room, he was filming 13 hours that time. I like all his films, including non-TF, and I really feel his style (for all this 10 years). TLK have clear lack of it! You shouldn't argue with my woman's heart:D  I don't say that TF5 is bad, I don't think so. I only feel that it's worse than others and totally (drastically!) different in terms of atmosphere and some core conceptions. And THIS WASN'T NEEDED, because AOE turned out as nice soft reboot and left huge potential for the future Movies! I'm also have almost nothing against Travis Knight, I'm just against the continuation of TF5 vibe course. I want a movie being worth it's 4 predecessors, serious and bright, with MB or without, small scale or big scale.