I'll never understand how people can say the Bayverse TF designs are BAD.

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by NGW, May 5, 2018.

1. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 !sdrawkcab si egassem sihT

News Credits:
    Google+:
    Tumblr:
    I'd take 1-3 movie designs over the overly human-looking designs from AOE. Talk about uncanny valley...

• Like Like x 3
  2. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Actually too awesome to be legal in most states.

Well, I'd also add that the AoE/TLK designs seemed weirdly alergic to the concept of kibble because they went way too damn hard on the 'oh let's make the giant alien robots who turn into machines look super organic and humanoid because we clearly never watched Beast Machines' angle.

Like, Prime's knight form (AoE/TLK) is inexcusably dumb. You couldn't figure out how to take a chunky semi cab and make knight armor out of it with giant shoulder pauldrons or at least manage to retain the signature windowbra chest? Like, if you took the head and flame paint off and replaced it with a generic looking head and a solid paint scheme, you couldn't even tell that was supposed to be an incarnation of Optimus Prime. Or that it even turned into a truck, because it abandoned the hard, geometric lines that embodied the raw power and strength that even the original trilogy Prime design retained.

Last edited: May 3, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  3. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    Yeah, I like seeing vehicle kibble on Transformers, like Ironhide's shoulders in the first movie.
    I did like the more alien looking Decepticons, though. In G1 almost all TFs had a silver face and helmet. I liked the variety. Maybe they should have made some Autobots look more alien, too, to balance it out.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 !sdrawkcab si egassem sihT

News Credits:
    Google+:
    Tumblr:
    Maybe it's because i grew up on Beast Wars (duh), but i kina prefer alien-looking Transformers. The transformers i grew up with had teeth and claws, sometimes multiple eyes or alien anatomies. I was taken aback in 2007 when a lot of the GEEWUNNERS (as in, the hardcore G1 purists) crawled out and started bashing TF07 for looking "alien". I will take alien and unique robot modes over yet more blocky and standard robots. I think that the Knight-designs, or at least Oppy, bumblebee, Shatter and Dropkick struck a good balance between 2007 like designs and a more G1-y design. The prologue designs were a bit too G1-y for my tastes, as it clashed with Bumblebee and co (I Half-expected to see that start screen of a video game when it was over!). But sweet Primus i couldn't have been happier when the initial pics dropped of Shatter and Dropkick, actually honest to goodness vehicle kibbles! None of that "not even a hint of vehicle" from AOE stuff.

• Like Like x 4
  5. GWolfv2

GWolfv2 Deathsaurus - A name you can trust for peace

News Credits:
    Overly complicated is different from bad. Like I think there are PLENTY of bad designs in there but the issue for me was ALWAYS too complex. I remember when they went over how many thousands of parts were in each model and how many pieces of Optimus' face move...and going "that's a lot of money being dedicated to rendering something that's too much when that money could be used on simpler models to give us more robot screen time"

• Like Like x 2
  6. Bee Camaro

Bee Camaro Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    I like the fact that they made the designs more alien, and different from other iterations of the franchise. I do think complexity could have been toned down a little bit though.

I used to hate the AoE/TLK anti-vehicle kibble designs, but they have really grown on me after third parties proved that the transformations are indeed possible.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Gzstg

Gzstg Well-Known Member

I prefer the more out there designs because they are aliens after all. my favorite designs are from the first three movies with a fair few from AOE and Last Knight.

• Like Like x 2
  8. GoldToaster

GoldToaster 90% Gold 10% Toaster

Everybody’s gonna have their own opinion. But I remember when I first saw the deigns I thought they were badass. :eek: 

• Like Like x 3
  9. Tetratron

Tetratron Well-Known Member

I thought the Autobot designs in the first '07 movie were alright (distinct colors and you could tell who was who) but they got worse as the films went on in my opinion. Especially by AOE/TLK, where I couldn't tell at all how most of the Autobots went from robot mode to vehicle mode.

The Decepticons have always been the worst looking though. Megatron always looked like someone ripped off his armor/body plating and were seeing his inner sketetal figure. Making them look like animals and and insect also makes them seem barely sentient. I get wanting to make them monstrous to visually communicate they're the villians but I just think the designs are boring and uninspired. That they all only have the color grey (aside from like Barricade off the top of my head) is also just visually unappealing.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  10. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland Moderator

News Credits:
    Brawl and Bonecrusher were pretty colorful, as were the Constructicons. But yeah most of the main ones were silver or gray.

• Like Like x 1
  11. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I’m not too far from this myself.
    Some movie designs I like, others I don’t.

Sometimes the movie designs are complex for the sake of complex, and to me that becomes a problem. I want my bots to make sense... to be honest and credible in their design and presentation and not relying solely on the magic that be only achieved through CGI to animate floating parts, disappearing parts, or parts that pass through each other.

Plus, for combat robots there are way too many exposed panels and exposed areas to be effective warriors.

My favorite aesthetic so far is the G1 / movie hybrid designs found in the BB movie.

• Like Like x 3
  12. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    Totally agree.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Sablebot

Sablebot Autobot Media Scientist

Maybe because 99% of bayverse designs scream of some suit-and-tie execs and bay and lorenzo changing things just for the sake of change, because of that tired "justification" that it 'Looks Cool'?????:rolleyes: o_O 

Maybe because 99% of the aforementioned designs also scream of a lack of creativity, a lack of investment and care, and a lack of understanding that the bad characters should be bad due to their deeds and not because of, "Well, this Megatron guy, and all his underlings have to look like ugly af metallic demons and hellspawn, because we really got to 'show' folks, that these decepticon guys are the badguys????"o_O 

Thank God bay and lorenzo weren't given the keys to the MCU. . .

I actually like a few of the bayverse designs, but that does not negate the haphazard flippant treatment of Cybertronians that bay and lorenzo forced on the screenwriters, concept artists, CGI artists they had in their employ, and continually shoved down the throats of the movie-going public . . .

Last edited: May 15, 2019 at 7:40 AM
    • Like Like x 2
  14. justframbo

justframbo Well-Known Member

I'm getting a feeling you don't at all like these designs. Presumably anyone who does too.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Sablebot

Sablebot Autobot Media Scientist

No, I like A FEW of the designs. . .Reading is fundamental;) :rolleyes: 

• Like Like x 1
  16. justframbo

justframbo Well-Known Member

Touché.