I'll just leave this here...

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by red4, Aug 14, 2010.

1. red4

red4 Banned

2. Dran0n

Dran0n miss me w/ that

News Credits:
    I think my brain exploded.

3. red4

red4 Banned

RotJ Luke is one of my all time favorite characters in the history of story telling.

*turns off lightsaber, and tosses into exhaust port*
    "Never. I'll never join you. You've failed, your Highness. I am a Jedi, like my father before me."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q052CVnDSBI

4. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Well this explains everything. I finally understand what George Lucas did wrong, I wish i could see how the Star Wars Films progressed the way it was intended.

This is comming from a guy who's favourite star wars film is revenge of the sith.

5. Dran0n

Dran0n miss me w/ that

News Credits:
    Meh, I liked Revenge of the Sith. It's my second favorite Star Wars movie.

If it was Phantom Menace, I'd slap you ..... with my ring hand.

6. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not one to really jump in and defend Lucas, but to blame toys on not wanting to kill main characters in a now massively loved franchise is not exactly fair. It was still Hollywood, even back then, so making a happier ending to appeal to a broader audience is simply business, and not really just for the toys but for people's devotion and love for a franchise. Heck, Hasbro did it the opposite way and killed off characters to add more for toys sake, and that didn't necessarily go well either with the backlash of killing Prime. Empire seemed to have as many moments that could be considered toy catering, like all the new vehicles and all the character outfit changes we saw during the film. The only thing about Jedi that felt more child friendly was the Ewoks... but I was a kid so I have no sore spot for them. Jedi still had a bittersweet ending- or did Luke burning his Father's dead body who just now realized the errors of his way and sacrificed himself for his son from being tortured to death seem ultra happy?

Kurtz just sounds like he had really fond memories during his time working on and unvealing Empire, and wasn't happy when the early treatments he liked became hollywoodized. It's understandable but doesn't make me dissliked the 'Jedi we got. Oh, and Luke did kinda end up a loner at the end.

7. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Luke was not alone at the end.
    1.) He found his family (leia)
    2.) Ben and Yoda were never going to leave him now that they glow in the dark.
    3.) he inherits Anakin's friend C-3PO and Padme's droid R2-D2
    4.) Han and Chewie become as close to Luke as brothers ever could. Not sure about Lando, though.
    5.) Since Biggs bought it, Wedge and Luke must have developed a bond.

so, i don't think Luke suffered too much after RotJ. he gained far more than he lost.

Never read the post movies books, so i can't comment there.

8. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I looked at it like this- he lost two mentors (I have no idea about how often the ghosts show up after the end of this movie, but those ghosts aren't exactly companions), his newly found Father is dead, his only love interest turned out to be his sister, his big nemesis is out of the picture, and he's the last known jedi. I don't know if you ever had a friend who finally gets with the girl he's been after, but odds are Luke would be a third wheel, and Leia is gonna have to take up leadership queen duties or whatever either way and Han would probably be by her side. However, more to the point, just comparing it to the original treament mentioned by Kurtz, Luke is in the same situation, only Han is alive.