Ikea Detolf display cases

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Sammael, May 19, 2008.

1. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 PlastiqueBoutique.com Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
  2. flynnibus

flynnibus Masterpiece Addict

Ebay:

I used the wire mold type covering you mentioned on my latest incarnation and I really liked it. I used the set from Home Depot and I wish it had 1 more inch overall. But I did cut each segment a bit long.. Next time I might make them slightly shorter. With the grey spray paint it matches the cabinet so nice

3. maz25

maz25 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
  4. jru42287

jru42287 Ass Möde is a way of life.

News Credits:
    That looks awesome. About how long did it take you to do each cabinet? And how much did you end up spending outside of the Detolf itself, if you don't mind my asking?

5. flynnibus

Ebay:
    costs go down as you do more cabinets as some elements have to be bought in units greater than what you need for one cabinet.

My write-up includes cost numbers too..

I need to write up my v2 notes.. the v2 time around I skipped the connectors because if you get a fikel one, it can be annoying. Better to just solder and have confidence it will always be great.

Coreplex - Rambling from Inside the Grid: LED Lighting DIY for Ikea Detolf Cabinets

TL;DR - the summary on v1
    Total Cost for two cabinets?
    $8 x 2 for LED reels
    $10 for Spool of Wire
    $17 for Power supply
    $3 for 2.1mm adapters
    $6 for LED controller
    $4 for 2.1mm spliter
    $7 for Wire Connectors
    $12 for shrink wrap
    $4 for wire ties

= $79 / 2 = $39 cabinet. It would only cost about $12 more to add a third cabinet. And could be as cheap as ~$15 /cabinet if you had wire/shrink wrap handy and hardwired things.

Drop that by about $7 for not using the connectors and using the wiremold instead of cable ties.

6. jru42287

News Credits:
    Nice! Thanks! I've yet to buy a Detolf, but eventually I want to get some kind of display for my things. It's just an awkward time right now, because I don't have a definite place to call "home" right now. All my TFs are stored at my childhood house, but I'm living in an apartment where I work.

7. Sylent

Sylent Haslab Unicron: 8,000+ backers - 0 days remaining

I like how you doubled up the detolfs to accommodate the larger figures.

8. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 PlastiqueBoutique.com Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    That's a better break down than I could have given you. :) 

9. MrBigFeathas

MrBigFeathas My rocket pack?!?

Just did the lighting in my 2 Detolfs last week. I followed the excellent write up by flynnibus (located here: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...-led-lighting-howto-ikea-detolf-cabinets.html). Thank you for the awesome tutorial! I changed a couple things but for the most part I followed it all the way through. I had never soldered before but it ended up being pretty easy, just took some time. To finish the two cases it took me two nights, about 5 hours each night. Here are the results:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unfortunately I was too lazy to measure when I placed the lights on the shelves and the left cabinet has the lights closer to the front than the right cabinet. It's only by about a half inch but it makes it so you can see them from under the shelf liner i put down from the front. Oh well, only looks like that from the one angle but I am pretty anal so I may have to fix it someday.

10. flynnibus

Ebay:
    very nice! I like the shelf liner look too

11. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    makes so much difference to the display :D  got the other one to do in the next couple of days

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

not done the shelf that shockwave , sunstorm and bitstream are standing on as thats being removed when toy world devy is here

12. LECHITY

LECHITY Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Very nice.
    I'm going to need to hop to it on my display cases as well.
    So much work, so little time... sigh...

13. agentcastle

agentcastle crotchimus prime

i just threw money at the detolf until it illuminated itself!

double detolf is the way to go - opens up display options and posing

14. lazerface

lazerface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd really like to have a case similar to this for my G1 cars (Wheeljack, Sideswipe, Bluestreak, etc) that would fit at the back of a standard Detolf shelf. I'd still want it to be easily opened from the front so I could take stuff out whenever.

I think that would be a really cool way to have stuff displayed, and leave some room in the front for a few other Transformers. Maybe have a few duplicates of the same Transformers there in robot mode.

Can anyone recommend something like this, or does anyone have any pictures of their own display where you have done this? Thanks!

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

15. silverstreak70

silverstreak70 Well-Known Member

Check with a local hobby store. Most will carry small clear display cases that would work except it wouldn't open from the front. You would need to stack them one on top of the other.

16. lazerface

lazerface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ^ Thanks. I was hoping to get a one piece case though, instead of stacking a bunch of smaller cases together.

That one in the picture I posted looks cool, but it's too large to fit in a Detolf.

17. mazdaspeed7

mazdaspeed7 Autobot Engineer

Ebay:
    Holy shit Eric that looks awesome!! Very jealous :D 

18. flynnibus

Ebay:
    Finally getting my office dialed in after rearranging to fit in a couch. I've got my 3rd detolf lined up finally and the cabinets are in their new spot. Unfortunately the contents are still very much a work in progress as I have a huge backlog of figures I've not even opened! (tracks, roadrage,hotrod, ratchet,ironhide, goldbug, exhaust, and more)

[​IMG]

The sucky thing is china leds can vary a good bit, and when I reordered for my 3rd cabinet, those LEDs are a bit blue'er and while I bought enough to redo the original two cabinets and change to hardwired wiring and snap-on wire cover.. The color temp is a bit too cool for my tastes and I kind of prefer the warmer color.

I need a backdrop or something now too since the power outlet is right behind the cabinet :) 

19. jru42287

News Credits:
    I took a trip to Ikea yesterday, with the intent to buy a couple of Detolfs, but actually ended up spending about $30 extra dollars and getting a single Tockarp: TOCKARP Glass door cabinet - IKEA

It doesn't have as much of a 360-degree view, but I thought that it might work better for my space, and it seems more stable than the Detolf. Going to see if I can put some kind of lighting in it as well. Given the wooden slats on the sides, I think it will be a bit more forgiving than the Detolf in that respect.

Honestly, the thing that swayed me the most is that the shelves are adjustable!

20. Tormatron

Tormatron Well-Known Member

May I ask where you purchased your cabinet from?