IGN: Transformers: Devastation interview with Greg Berger

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Shizuka, Jul 9, 2015.

1. jamarmiller

jamarmiller S.K.A.R. LEADER

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    this is great, thank you so much, really appreciate it

2. ZeroMayhem

ZeroMayhem Henshin a Go-Go Baby!

Thanks for the hands on report Molini! Sounds very Platinum and very awesome, can't wait!

3. Toolverine

Toolverine Well-Known Member

Looks interesting but it seems like it would be a button bashing monotony after an hour. Would prefer if the physics were less DBZ anime and more like GTA or something. Basically, it looks all razzle dazzle and no depth.

4. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Grimlock's Bizzare Adventures.

Then who could be Dio?

5. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm already eagerly awaiting the sequel!

6. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's Scriptor

News Credits:
    Well this guy obviously hasn't played any of Platinum's games. Were you aware that although WfC and FoC had interesting stories the characters played the same? They used the same weapons and some had the same abilities? You went around pressing the same 2 buttons too - shoot and transform. I loved the games but I voiced that I hope High Moon wouldn't return for a 3rd game because shooters are just so boring. Revenge of the Fallen had considerably better gameplay and at least this game has an actual melee system.

7. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Oh I'm not complaining, just wondering why he wasn't given his sword given the G1-ness of the game. That said, I do agree that a giant hammer works really really well with Grimlock.

8. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think he was given a sword to give him something different from Sideswipe and Optimus who have a Sword and Axe respectively. I assume Sideswipe has a sword now because of his live-action adaptation and what we see in Robots in Disguise. I think a sword for Grimlock would have been alright myself too, but a giant hammer fits in with all his stomping and chomping all the same. What's Bumblebee's secondary weapon?

The roster is a bit small, but they all appear to have total access to the same levels, which is something neither FOC or WFC allowed. WFC had the better setup, IMHO with a group of characters one could choose from for each level. FOC had a scripted story that didn't allow the player to use his/her desired character.

How many characters were playable in FOC again? 12? Optimus, Bumblebee, Grimlock, Jazz, Cliffjumper, Jetfire, Megatron, Starscream, Vortex, Swindle, Bruticus and Soundwave, right? Some of these character only saw a few minutes of play tops like Bruticus and Jetfire!

Having free reign of 5 playable characters with countless interactions from other notable characters is fine by me. I'm not looking for a Street Fighter type game (though that would be a fun Transformers game), but one that's fun with an interesting story to boot, which this looks like it does indeed have:D 

I'm all in for this one. Time for me to pre-order this one.

9. Destron UK

Destron UK G1 Dinobot Pro

News Credits:
    Someone's clearly never played a Platinum game before. The whole point of their games is strong varied fight mechanics and precise timing.

It'll only be as limited as the person playing it.

10. Enigma2K2

Enigma2K2 Robot In Disguise TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    .. Mi... Michael Bell.. is that you?!?!?!?

11. Sir Spamsalot

Sir Spamsalot ignore the post #'s

Looks absolutely gorgeous.

12. POSSESSED_DIGIT

POSSESSED_DIGIT WE ARE NUBBY THUMB!!

News Credits:
    I don't own any console systems. The last ones I got were PS2 & GameCube. I'm a 3DS kinda guy nowadays. Which brings me to my question, cuz I'm totally out of touch:
    Why do so many game makers not design games for all platforms? Nintendo is constantly left out of LOTS of games, not just transformers. And when they DO design for Nintendo, it's a totally different game, and usually a new name to boot?

I'd love to get a WiiU to go download all kinds of good ol NES,SNES,N64,GameCube,GBA, etc Virtual Console games. And I'd love this new TF game to come out for it or 3DS...

13. Enigma2K2

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Keep in mind this is only MY opinion, and I don't speak for everyone. I don't claim to be an authority on anything.

The big publishers and the like are obsessed with visuals. And while the Nintendo consoles are capable of beautiful games, they can make them look so much better on PS4/XBox One. And that was the hook I was noticing. Nothing really ultra mind blowing, but if we can make the games look so 1080p and stuff, we can gloss over technical shortcomings and broken gameplay.

I also think that they're not to thrilled with how Nintendo handles the online thing. With so many of them utilizing it to the degree they are today, they'd prefer an infrastructure in place that allows them to sucker you into the belief that online is the future(stay connected so we can bombard you with DLC s*** and micropayments and online service fees... err, I mean enjoy the online experience with friends! Oh, and no questions about the online DRM, please...)

And finally... the gamepad. It's neat and functional, but sometimes you just want to program a game to work with a regular controller. I actually DO think this is a part of that problem.

Did I mention that they also like to buy exclusives? Or in certain cases, sneak in bed with Kickstarters?

Remember, these are only my opinions, although I bet I'm right about the controller part. I'm a non attorney spokesperson.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  14. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Neat! I like that they kept Wheeljack's Brooklynese accent (more or less). The gameplay seems repetitive but for a brawler type game, that's to be expected. I did like Swipes doing 360's in alt mode on the Vehicon drones. Looking forward to gameplay with Wheeljack as he's my fave Bot! Hoping one of his weapons will be the giant Shockblast cannon he built himself (and it'd be funny if there was a 1% chance of it blowing up in his face during use :D ).

15. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Kuphead

News Credits:
    Seems like all you do in this game is mash the XXX and the YYY.

16. Enigma2K2

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    .. some people happen to like beatemups. Why we'll play them constantly as long as they're good. Kinda like you guys and FPS games.

17. The Mad Demobot

The Mad Demobot Well-Known Member

So it's Bloodborne and Metal Gear Rising Revengeance but with Transformers? Count me in! :D 

18. Tresob

Tresob Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Since I don't own any recent consoles, I'll have to go PC...but I fret that the PC gang will get left out in the cold again without any support, updates, or DLC, like with War for Cybertron.

19. jackgaughan

jackgaughan Internet Soldier

News Credits:
    As opposed to pressing the forward and pushing the trigger button in the High Moon games?

20. sages

sages Well-Known Member

Not a fan of over the top fighting style in this game but that gameplay with Dev really changed my mind.
    You really get the felling of fighting a devastating gestalt!