IGN Reveals Legacy United Sandstorm

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by nune, Feb 6, 2024.

1. Cataraks

Cataraks Decepticon Cannibal

HIs toys have vents on the sides, but since that doesn't line up right with this toy they probably decided to put them in the front

• Like Like x 3
  2. jamarmiller

jamarmiller S.K.A.R. LEADER

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The head not being cartoon accurate is a major turn off . Everything else is quite acceptable

• Like Like x 4
  3. DanPro106

DanPro106 Literally Deathsaurus

Genuinely wished he had the Sunbow face, otherwise, this figure is excellent, defo need to get it when it comes out.

• Like Like x 5
  4. ZapRowsdower

ZapRowsdower Selling oddities in a shack. In the woods.

You can also say this at work!

"I meant to mess that up! This way, you still need me around to keep doing task over and over, because I purposefully don't complete it and/or do a terrible job! :D "

Ooooor, we can assume Hasbro designers make mistakes, apply their own preferences, or are working on a tight schedule/budget/etc.

• Like Like x 1
  5. naev

naev pls does anyone have an animated oilslick

[​IMG]
    Not sure if anyone else has pointed this out but he looks very similar to the dr wu/ mft mold

• Like Like x 6
  6. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde 狡猾の死神

News Credits:
    No the theory about toy planned obsolescence is a lot more convincing. >:0

7. Treadshot 2.0

Treadshot 2.0 Action Master

News Credits:
    Except the MFT mold looks way better…

• Like Like x 2
  8. DashFox

DashFox Active Member

Overall really like this except what\'s going on with the head someone please correct me but I can\'t think of any iterations of sandstorm that had a face mask and blank dead eyes is a shame, I don\'t get fussy about parts for me or tiny little things like all this bar is slightly misplaced or anything so it takes quite a bit for me to get annoyed at something.

• Like Like x 3
  9. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sooooooo........ 80% of the mold is above the waist? They used so little for the legs. They are toothpicks compared to the top. I'm going to need to see more pictures.

• Like Like x 2
  10. 8bitboy

8bitboy Well-Known Member

Sandstorm looks very good. This is the first I believe I'm seeing 3 solid modes form a triple changer in the Legacy line. I have no issues with the robot mode. Unlike most of the guys here, I was not expecting a lot from Sandstorm. Decent look, colours and 3 decent modes. This has surpassed my most basic expectations. I really like what I am seeing.

• Like Like x 6
  11. IceCreamCyborg

IceCreamCyborg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That\'s a nice shade of orange right there. It is a FACT that orange is the best color.

• Like Like x 10
  12. Vanya

Vanya Well-Known Member

Ah, the T30 kinda has vents.
    G1 has some geometry on the sides, but they're not really vents.

Yeah, I'll be sanding those off my copy.

• Like Like x 3
  13. JazzAlert13

JazzAlert13 #1 Starscream Fanboy

News Credits:
    Man I am just in awe of this guy, I don’t know why I like it so much.

I am now wayy more hyped for the inevitable Octane.

• Like Like x 5
  14. signals3

signals3 Frightfully Important

News Credits:
    Leader?
    So....55 dollar voyager?

15. falderal

falderal Well-Known Member

Fun fact: T30 Springer was retooled from Sandstorm, not the other way around as most people assume.

IMG_5297.jpeg IMG_5296.png

• Like Like x 12
  16. Vanya

Vanya Well-Known Member

Much closer to the G1 toy, too.
    My only complaint about the Dr.Wu/MFT figure is that it's tiny and the back tires are the same size as the front ones.
    I wouldn't scoff at an OS KO of Sand Leopard.

• Like Like x 1
  17. G1SuperiorMikeBayInferior

G1SuperiorMikeBayInferior Well-Known Member

Hopefully history does not repeat itself.

The more I look at this Sandstorm, the less I like it.

The proportions are really unbalanced top to bottom, he is very top heavy to say the least.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Treadshot 2.0

Treadshot 2.0 Action Master

News Credits:
    I mean, yeah that totally makes sense, and if we didn’t know for a fact that planned obsolescence was literally a thing manufacturers invented it would probably sound ridiculous. Like some sort of crazy conspiracy theory. But it is totally a thing, and it absolutely drives the rationale behind business decisions. It’s the reason why so much more pharmaceutical research money is put into treatments rather than cures, treatments are more profitable.

Well, giving us enough of what we always wanted to keep us buying new versions is the treatment. And giving us exactly what we’ve always wanted is the cure. And I don’t know about you, but my collecting habits have become far more conservative as I’ve gotten closer to having literally the collection I always wanted. There are still a few gaps to fill, and there are characters important enough that I would be willing to replace the versions I currently have, like Earthrise Optimus and the earthrise regular seekers (And like I did for Ironhide and ratchet). But for the most part when I look at my collection, I feel like I’m good with what I have.

Between the Masterpiece stuff and the mainline stuff I actually have what I have always wanted. And at this point in the main line I have A playable, reasonably good looking version of almost every character from the Lore that I care about, With the exception of a few stragglers like wind charger And Japanese exclusive characters I would like to have but don’t feel compelled to acquire because I didn’t grow up with them.

So yeah. Hasbro actually has an incentive to do “almost but not quite” well enough that we buy the figures and are reasonably happy with them, but are still willing to buy new iterations of the same figures. There’s usually something. Like, most of the Earthrise and Kingdom figures are really close to the G1 cartoon, but a lot of them have extra revolts detailing that I personally like but that may not be ideal for a purist. Now in my mind, they nailed what I always wanted, which is G one but with slightly more detail than the cartoon, as if they were real vehicles and such. But I can also see how somebody else would view it as weirdly half-assing, like you want to go full toon but aren’t really willing to commit to full toon.

bringing it all around to the discussion of the figure at hand, the reason why people are speculating that Hasbro is intentionally leading with a version of sandstorm that we are likely to replace is closely related to their openly admitted character release practices. They are known for putting out a pre-tool of a highly in demand figure First and then hitting you with the actually demanded the character. They did that with sky quake and dreadwings, they’re doing it right now with detritus and hound, they did it with black shadow and overlord although black shadow was freaking DOPE And if you didn’t buy that you’re just a sucker lol. And sandstorm isn’t the type of character you can just repaint into a different character. But what you can do is release a slightly different version of the same character with a different head and a different but still workable color scheme, which is exactly what they did with IMPACTOR, three separate times! Like not counting the Frankenstein Collabo, there are four different Decos of the purple and yellow character, currently available. Two of them are the exact same mold in slightly different colors, one has a different head only, and one has a different head, cannon and chest plate. And honestly? If I do end up getting this and they released a more show accurate version down the line, I might not be averse to getting that as well.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  19. G1SuperiorMikeBayInferior

G1SuperiorMikeBayInferior Well-Known Member

The proportions and colours of this look so much better IMO.

His feet are not so bizarre looking and the area above his head looks more animation accurate and just less clunky overall.

Thanks for sharing.

• Like Like x 1
  20. LoserBroadside

LoserBroadside Your ship just came in.

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    It’s ok. I grade on a grade on a curve because I love Sandstorm so much, but he doesn’t stand up great and he makes use of some fairly egregious parts forming. That Hasbro version looks like it may be more stable, and apart from the lobster trap doesn’t appear to parts form. At least not with the rotors.

• Like Like x 6