IGN Interview and Preview of new ongoing Series

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by ezim93, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Autobot Hound

Autobot Hound Combaticon

News Credits:
    *Looks at Starscream, looks at my avatar*
    So Starscream stole the Combaticon's graffiti gig, too? :lol 
    Overall feeling pretty neutral. The most interesting thing in the preview imo is the pic of Prowl and Chromia- that makes me want to see what's going on there.

• Like Like x 2
  2. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    The interior art looks very middle of the road. Better than some of the past IDW artists, but not great. Serviceable.

The story, we'll see. I like the idea of there only being one series, and I hope they stick with that. Megatron as a petulant teenager is funny (Thank you for coming/I don't want to be here. Let's talk/I don't want to talk. Have a seat/I'll stand.) but seems kind of weird for such an aged character. I hope it's the coherent, cohesive restart they're hyping it as.

• Like Like x 6
  3. Nemisispath

Nemisispath Needs a new username

Not too big on the artstyle, and Rumble is a bit weird looking, but this has promise.  Also not digging OCs being introduced this early on.  There\'s a wealth of underused characters that could be used instead.

• Like Like x 2
  4. RodimusZero

RodimusZero Steezin fo no Reason

News Credits:
    I'm really f***ing sick of the whole "Orion and Megatron used to be friends!!! Now they're bitter frenemies!!!" story.
    Granted it was only a 30-minute one-shot that anachronistically involved the Aerialbots going back in time,
    but I really liked the punch that the original version of their origins had in the cartoon:
    Optimus going from a carefree "everyman"-type of character to a wizened and completely rebuilt new 'Bot,
    and Megatron more or less being made as the first super weapon of his kind, that breaks down in the kind of
    hubris-related calamity you'd expect from Cybertronian scientists making a living weapon.

Trying to get too political with these stories and all these scenes of Optimus and Megatron talking about "then and now,"
    are just boring, and I think it makes the two characters less interesting to be honest.
    Also, it's pretty clear that Hasbro's running this ship 100%, but it would be nice if Optimus
    (maybe Megatron too, though I know there's no precedent) had some more drastic visual change
    between his two forms as well. Having "Orion" be just "Optimus" with a different name is weak.

Unrelatedly, please retire Windblade!!! Hot damn. Even if I loved her design, which I don't,
    it's like she's achieved Optimus and Megatron-level importance, which she isn't.
    Give us some new Bots or at least Bots from the original cartoon!!

• Like Like x 5
  5. CaioSilvatheScreamerFan

CaioSilvatheScreamerFan Destron New Leader

Facebook:
    I don't mind much politics if it is kept gray, no demonizing of one the sides, showing the pros and cons instead of simply vilifying one of the ideas(muh dictatorship bad)
    Yeah this Megs and Prime were friends before is getting old, i wish anyone used the ideas from Animated Allspark Almanac, instead of being a revolutionary miner, Megatron is a military leader with imperialistic ambitions, but by these pages alone, it seems too late to try this, i hope they keep it at least consistent, without pulling retcons to justify certain questionable decisions later....

• Like Like x 2
  6. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I think the exact opposite.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Thinktank

Thinktank Well-Known Member

It reads like old 'Budiansky' dialog.

8. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    The 5mm ports all over the characters look bizarre.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Dire 51

Dire 51 Line Stepper.

Example please?

10. Thinktank

11. SparkPlug24

SparkPlug24 Named after the Mini-con, not the Witwicky.

Which works for someone detached from humanity like ROM (at least at first), but among themselves it feels weird. That dialogue between OP and Megatron ... they weren't using any contractions! Very unnatural, I can't connect with them. It's like the polar opposite of the jail cell conversation that Roberts wrote between them.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Dire 51

Dire 51 Line Stepper.

13. Thinktank

Do your own work.

• Like Like x 1
  14. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Formerly SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    I have to agree. It’s old hat, and we need something new, but the idea of age-old-enemies not being what amounts to childhood friends is practically scoffed at these days for not being deep enough. Because people can’t hate each other unless they once loved each other.

BW and TFA, two of the most popular TF stories completely ignored this trope, and it didn’t hurt the dynamic at all. In fact I find the rivalries between those version far more engaging because the audience is privy to the relationship from the get go, rather than leaving so much up the exposition and heresay. It’s one of the reasons I often dislike complicated backstories and untold sagas, I like my stories to begin, yknow, at the beginning, not jumping in halfway into it. A little background is fine, obviously, but leave the most interesting stuff for the present day.

• Like Like x 5
  15. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    I'm... cautiously optimistic about this new series. That first issue was pretty interesting.

Wow, and Windblade was somewhat interesting in that issue. She felt like a regular person. Fantastic!

• Like Like x 2
  16. Focksbot

Focksbot Skeleton Detective

Agree with both of you. It's not that it's a bad story per se, but we've had quite the bellyful of it, and after a while it starts to look like TF writers collectively just don't know how to write or explain personal animus (or even professional opposition) as anything other than a soured relationship.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

I'll wait for the reviews after the first trade to convince me.

^Things already don't look exciting at all.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    Wait, where’d you read it?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Nocturne

Nocturne Professional Ginger

News Credits:
    You know what I think you're right! That gives me some hope foe seeing my boy Rung again.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Yeah, the reviews would have to be REALLY stellar for me to pay for reading the same bad again. Can't see much promise in any of this, really. What do I care for IDW homemade characters, to begin with?

• Like Like x 1