Igear traitor and destroyer

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by DJCHARTERS, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Here's the thing. We have an extremely rare situation here, in which Hasbro is actually ok with the 3rd party groups. iGear is risking destroying this for good, and they don't seem to care. It's like the old saying goes "Give someone an inch, and they'll take a mile."

Also, on a side note. I'm not sure how many people know this, but Jizai's stuff is 100% legal. The way it works in Japan, is that you can get 1 day licenses to sell 3rd party products at specified events.

2. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah I sent an e-mail to TFSource earlier to make sure they're going to be getting these guys as well. I figure they will since they had the Coneheads and Sunstorm but ya never know. If they don't then I guess I have to pick them up from IGear themselves, which I'd rather not do.

3. Sean Whitmore

Sean Whitmore Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    We DO?

4. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Looking the other way doesn't really count as being ok with something.:lol 

5. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Yeah, they're not allowed to say anything officially, but off the record, they're cool with most of the stuff.

Then why exactly are they looking the other way? They're afraid of the nerd rage destroying the world?

6. Sean Whitmore

News Credits:
    That, or more likely the time and cost involved with waging a complicated legal battle about intellectual property with overseas companies makes it prohibitively expensive.

Y'know, the same reason they've done nothing to igear.

7. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Color Edit Mode Advocate

Eventually, I think FP, iGear, and the like will branch out into their own respective brands of transforming robots. While no official hammer has been dropped, I do think we'll see an end to stuff that's based heavily off of the Transformer IP. As much as I love it, this can't go on forever.

8. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Eric Seibernaler owns a City Commander. I'm pretty sure the brand bigwigs are okay with it, to a certain extent.

Most of the issues associated with IP theft aren't a risk here, because the product is marketted directly to savvy fans who know what the deal is in the first place, and not with unscrupulous competitors looking to strike it rich off of Hasbro's name. So until the 3rd Parties start getting uppity, there's no risk. There's no real gain for Hasbro to wrangle up their legal team and put a case together. That'll cost them a ton of money, and it won't earn them anything back, because there's practically no competition in the marketplace between them.

9. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Count me on board with all of them then. I know people like to get all picky-choosy about it in order to justify the stuff that doesn't crash head-on with their corporate cheerleading, but I am entertained by all these threads. I am especially entertained (and curious) about why people seem to have such hatred for iGear but they let CHMS slide, or how a lot of people seem to think "mildly infringing" stuff that FP and TFC do is somehow less reprehensible than what iG, CHMS, and the crappy KO cloners do; infringement is infringement, so if you're going to do it, might as well go big. I know the customs debate has been brought up before, and beaten to death like all other KO threads, but it bears mentioning as well.

I'd rather be on the clear-headed side that welcomes any and all 3rd party toys, maybe I'm missing the consumer guilt/loyalty gene everyone else seems to be born with

...and technically, let's put them on the hook for ALL of the crimes against humanity: not only did they rip off the MP mold, but they ripped off the customizer's renditions of the coneheads, including the well-published sliding leg kibble mod. Thrice damned, they be.

10. LiquiD

LiquiD Well-Known Member

To me repainted & remolded seekers aren't really worth it if they contribute to a firestorm brought down on on 3rd party companies that make their own toys from scratch. There's a really distict difference between what igear is doing with these & what many other 3rd parties are doing. Take TFC's hurcules for instance. The only thing about it that resembles IP theft is The colors they've chosen for it. They could release it in prototype grey & nobody could say anything aside from that it's their own unique creation(which it is anyway because you can't really call color combos IP) can the same be said for igear's seekers? No it can not. So if making & selling stuff like these contributes to hassles for inarguably more legitimate 3rd parties then screw igear. & all you people who don't care because they fill a small gap in your person collection will start to care when all the companies filling gaps in your collections start disappearing & you're once again left with nothing but hastak. That being said I don't own any third party transformers, maybe that's why the differences are so clear to me.

11. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Without getting too far into it, the lines have become blurred for me. I can support IP infringement like FansProject and TFC, but not Igear KO, customized, whatever you wanna call them Seekers? Where's the difference? IMO, we're all supporting the same thing by buying product from 3rd parties. TFC Hercules IS Devastator, but because it's an original mold we give them a pass? I don't try to defend any of these companies anymore; they're all guilty.

I will continue to buy stuff from FP, TFC, and Igear and not argue with the people who find it wrong because their opinions are just as justified as mine are.

12. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Well said. And that's more or less the point I'm making: infringement is infringement regardless if the characters and/or repaints have been done officially or not. I personally don't care one way or another about these third party releases - I just hate it when people are okay with some (ie: MP Coneheads), but then start wagging their hypocritical judgmental fingers at others (ie: recolored MP Seekers).

13. Sean Whitmore

News Credits:
    No worries, then, because such a firestorm is like the Rapture; people don't seriously believe it's going to happen.

Oh, you mean the Constructicon rip-offs. Cause no matter how you try to phrase it, that's what they are.

"Inarguably more legitimate" leaves out Fans Project, TF Cub, Maketoys, etc. I guess you're worried about hassles for, like, Crazy Devy and Headrobots, then?

Thanks for offering your Christlike perception.

14. payton34

payton34 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You can take what I'm about to say and call it a "convenient" morality stance or whatever, but I don't care.

If what Red Leader says is correct, and indicitave of a forthcoming stance by Hasbro/TakTomy against ALL third-party product, and this results in HERCULES not being released in full, I will travel to China myself and strangle those bastards to death*.

* - obviously I won't/can't do that, but regardless I will be highly upset.

15. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thank you for saying what I wanted to say and for saying it better than I ever could have.:thumbs2: 

16. LiquiD

LiquiD Well-Known Member

That's really the thing tho, infringement is infringement, & theft is theft. What igear is doing is theft. They've taken a toy which design in it's entirety belongs to someone else, made a minor alteration, & are now producing & selling what amount to copies of the original figure. I don't see how you could possibly call that the same as designing a transforming robot from scratch, making the molds for the parts from scratch, & releasing a completely unique toy. Hastak does not own the rights to all transforming robots, & in the case of Hercules( the construction "rip-offs") as someone said, they don't own the rights to all construction vehicle toys, they don't own the rights to all combining robot toys, they only own the rights to the molds they have designed themselves or legal purchased from those that did design them. So you can call them rip offs but the truth is they are only recognizable as the contructicons because we fan boys see them as that, the same can be said of many other 3rd party toys. That's why it's infringement, & that is different from taking a design hastak does own & profiting off of it.

17. Turnman

Turnman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wish they did a MP-03 color version with grey that actually looks like the one from the instruction manual and not greenish under some lights.

18. Screamingjet

Screamingjet Well-Known Member

Same. That and there is something very off putting about the Starscream. Looks kinda bland and stark.

Even if they DID release a kit for modding original MP seekers- They'd need to have those same parts picked out with the grey detailing on Starscream or it will just stand out too much.

Have considered getting Thrust though.

19. mrclean08

mrclean08 G1 FOR LIFE

Agreed.

While I was glad to buy Thrust, Dirge, Ramjet and even Sunstorm, it will be an easy-pass for Thundercracker, Skywarp and Starscream.

As Screamingjet said above, these look bland. Masterpiece style figures with cartoon color schemes is kind of weird.

20. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    I'll say it again.. DAMN YOU IGEAR!!
    I can't believe I'll end up with both the official and KO versions of these :redface2: