If you sold your collection???

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by digitalworld40, May 18, 2010.

1. digitalworld40

digitalworld40 Well-Known Member

If you were to sell your collection how would you go about doing it? Would you sell them in a bulk for a set price, or auction them off one at a time? I am not saying I want to sell my collection but part of me is leaning that way. I would keep a few select pieces but sell the rest. I would still buy some select figures now and again. Like have a collection of just a select few bots, like Optimus and Megatron in every style; G1, Classics, MP, ect. I would still buy stuff from FP now and again too because lets face it they make some kick ass stuff! Overall this is just a thought that has been floating in my head for a few days and I just thought I'd talk to other collectors to see what you folks think.

2. Unicron129

Unicron129 Well-Known Member

Ive done that/still in the process of doing that. Im selling my entire collection and keeping/collecting only masterpieces (have 4 currently, MP Grimlock is next).

3. thewyseone

thewyseone G.I.Juggernaut

Ebay:
    i'm currently selling my tf collection,selling it in ebay store mostly.just put up some mixed lots of titanium tf's with 2 gijoe figures today,mostly to steer people towards my store.i am still holding on to my joe collection,i got a 99% complete joe collection from 1982 to 2008,but not buying much now-a-days.

i'm pondering wheather to sell my korean brave fort max and my igear computer console,actually only keeping nw prime,samuria blugeon and maybe 6 others but just for the shelf.

this way seems to be working best if you dont need them gone in 60 seconds,i want a new car this year,need a downpayment but current car still runs great.

4. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

I'm thinking of selling the majority of my Armada/Energon/Cybertron figures. They're in packed up, but I always change my mind about selling them from day to day.

I'd probably just sell them individually in the Junkion though.

5. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    well, I'd take photos of them all and throw them up on the Junkion. Afterwards, whatever didn't sell goes to ebay. However, give people a deal on the Junkion!!! To many people are listing common/cheap stuff for a high price.

What do you have to lose? Sure you want 100 bucks for something but once you sell it on ebay and subtract all the fees... that lowball offer for 80 is what your going to get anyway.

6. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

I've often though of selling off the majority of my A/E/C collection as well. They just don't do anything for me anymore.

7. salmonman78

salmonman78 That's MR. Magnus to you all...

I can't think of selling my Transformers right now, though if I did I would just sell most in one big huge lot, that way I wouldn't have stray figures that ended up not being sold.

8. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    junkion for a week or two, then individually on ebay

9. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Probably be easier and more profitable to sell them piece by piece.

10. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    I've sold many of my non-Bumblebee stuff, there are still a lot of stuff left over. I've sold most individually. In my experience, sets don't sell that well.

11. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd sell them individually, auction-style. You'll maximise your cash that way.

12. omegagoalie

omegagoalie Cybertronian Puckstopper

Ebay:
    This.

One sad day long ago I was in a tough spot and bagged and tagged each TF in my collection for Ebay...but fortunately I didn't follow through as I'd rather be homeless with all my TF's in a shopping cart rather than part with them :)  Point is if you want maximum dollar individually is the way to go :) 

13. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Selling individually does mean you'll likley get a slightly higher price per item, but don't forget to factor in the amount of time and hassle involved with making multiple deals, managing multiple addresses and packaging and shipping multiple items, multiple trips to the post office, trying to get multiple people to pay, potentially multiple issues to manage if something doesn't arrive properly, etc...

You need to first consider what's more important to you, the highest amount of cash possible, or maximizing the time investment/convenience for yourself. It takes a whole lot less time to sell a lot of twelve items than it does twelve items individually.

14. derbyhat7

derbyhat7 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    This is what I was going to quote, and exactly what I would do. There is the convenience factor though, some people dont care, they just want to get it off their hands, this is the same for more than just TFs. Craigslist and garage sales are some examples. Its not about the price its about making room and getting stuff out of your hair.

15. derbyhat7

Ebay:
    ...and having to say multiple, multiple times for multiple reasons, LOL

16. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    ^This! :D 

I know what you mean, dude.. if you dont have a near complete or complete line of figures, then its gonna be though and a hard sell...:( 

17. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Heh, yea, just trying to illustrate the point. :lol 

Depends quite a bit on what you're selling, too... wouldn't make much financial sense to sell a giant lot of sealed G1 figures when you could get so much individually for them. On the other hand, selling a lot of thirty loose Armada figures might be the better option.

18. derbyhat7

Ebay:
    I heard a couple years ago about someone who was handicap or some sort of condition, he had to stay home. He fell in love with TFs and collected every single original, in the box, G1 TF. He passed away and his family sold the entire lot on ebay for just a tip over 1 million. This was like 3 years ago.

19. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

Let the locals have their pick, then put the rest up on the Junkion.

20. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Even complete sets won't sell well because most people buying them just need some of the pieces.