If You Could Invent A Gimmick

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by VictoryBot93, Dec 22, 2016.

1. VictoryBot93

VictoryBot93 Well-Known Member

The various ways Transformers have been made & remade over the last several years are very fascinating to me. They seem to have made every style of robot toy there is!

So, if you were designing a new gimmick for a new line what would it be? What's the purpose? How would it work? Would they be new characters or revamps of previous ones?

I can't really think of anything they haven't already done, but I do believe they could expand on older ideas.

Think G1 Sky Lynx. It could split into 2 different robots that when combined could make either an Alt Mode or a brand new robot. Imagine a while line of toys like that for a year. I don't know if that would even be feasible nowadays, but it's fun to think up ideas!

• Like Like x 1
  2. GiganGoji

GiganGoji Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Awhile back someone showed their idea of having G1-to-Movieverse figures. I don't remember if they had alt-modes or not, but they could transform between their live action movie version and their G1 version.

In the Michael Bay films, there were multiple moments where a Transformer would turn their hand/arm into a gun, and I want to see that in figure form. There are a couple of figures (classics deluxe Rodimus and scout class Windcharger to name a few off the top of my head) who can rotate their hands in while rotating weapons out, but I want to see more of that. I want a figure whose whole forearm can turn into a gun.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    I'm surprised we havent gotten triplechanging toys of the 84 characters yet that alternate between earth and cybertronian altmodes.

• Like Like x 7
  4. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    Hologram Minicons.

Each deluxe or larger sized figure has a hologram of the Minicon at the attach point. Minicons would be made of clear plastic, to make it look as if they are "brought to life" from the hologram port.

BTW, bonus round:

An idea for the current Titanmaster line is Quintesson bodies in which the Titanmasters can be attached to each side of the body to create three different faces.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Bob Schoonover

Bob Schoonover Poorly-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd love to try to find a way to make transformable build-a-figures (or something like Hero Mashers where the parts are interchangeable). Not so much that I like the collecting pattern as I think it'd be difficult to make work well, but ultimately satisfying when executed properly

• Like Like x 4
  6. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Color Changing PLASTIC.

You know, how often certain Transformers parts are a certain color in robot mode, but that same part is also visible in vehicle mode and should be a different color for vehicle mode.

Well....with the way things are until now, Hasbro has to decide the color of that particular part ; priority to robot mode OR vehicle mode.

Hence, it would be a huge innovation if they could have plastic which could be a certain color in robotmode, and then a different color in vehicle mode.

• Like Like x 3
  7. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    If I came up with a new gimmick I wouldn't tell you. I would keep it to myself and sell it to Hasbro (or other willing company) for millions, retire and die happy in the knowledge I had given so much joy to children around the world.

Oh and the Scrooge Mcduck swimming pool vault of money would help too.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    • Like Like x 5
  8. Deject

Deject Banned

My ideal gimmick would be transforming from vehicle to robot mode. Imagine that, a car or truck that turns into a robot with a gun? And that would be good enough for me, ya'know.

• Like Like x 5
  9. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

"Better" Minicons/Masters. Imagine a linewide gimmick where Titan Masters can serve as replacements or additions to the primary robot. For example...

Replacement hands-- "Weapon Master" Titan Master becomes a melee weapon (Axe, Mace, Sword, etc) that replaces one of the hands.
    Additional armor/engine-- "Armor Master" Titan Master sits on top of the chest of the robot-mode.
    Leg booster-- "Speed Master" Twin Titan Masters that attach to the legs of the robot-mode and act as booster rockets/speed boots.

You can make "backpacks" that attach to the back, shoulder bazookas. The big downside is that you would have to have a lot of uniformity in appearance between the figures in order to accommodate the gimmick.

• Like Like x 2
  10. EarthGBilly

EarthGBilly Sucker for a GERWALK Mode

I think this is closer than one might think.

The slight retooling of moulds allows for play of this sort. I started with all the slight retools in Combiner Wars, but it works even better with a couple of figures in Titans Return.

I've been mixing parts between TR Blurr and Brainstorm, and it works very well, allowing me to really expand those two moulds into custom characters.

• Like Like x 2
  11. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Glow-In-The-Dark paint and/or plastic.

Seriously. It's been 30+ years and not one Transformers toy has it. It would be killer to have GitD robot eyes and vehicle lights.

• Like Like x 3
  12. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    At this point it is hard to think of a gimmick.

Maybe bandai quality mold kits that can still transform.

• Like Like x 2
  13. marvel b

marvel b Bearer of the Matrix of Smash

News Credits:
    each figure comes with a card. in the card are magnets. you place the cards underneath the figure and the figure hovers.

also, amiibo........

DON'T JUMP! IT MAKES A HARD SURFACE WHEN----

DO A BACK FLIP!!!!

14. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Dukeup Nukhead

News Credits:
    I wouldn't mind seeing a return to maybe Armada days where 'Leader' class didn't necessarily require the figure to be huge to incorporate electronic gimmicks and whatnot, as is the case today where even without the electronics, the figures are still quite massive and out of proper height (hence why the demand for Voyager Classics Seekers continues into present day).

Specifically, Armada Superpants Prime was mainly two parts - the cab/core robot and the massive panel trailer, linked by the super mode but more creatively the infra-red control chip inside Prime's truck cabin. When the receiver was enabled on the trailer with a simple on-off switch and four AAA batteries, you could transform Prime himself into any of his three modes, which triggered hidden buttons inside him and made his trailer automatically assume the corresponding configuration simply by folding or unfolding the panels set amounts. It wasn't the best on carpets because super mode relied on the free axle plastic wheels at the ends of the panels that had no grip on carpet (source: me at Christmas 2002) but it was fucking incredible as a kid for the trailer to "know" what Prime was doing at any time.

TR kinda is going back to that but only by making the Leaders themselves become the base modes and not seperate figures able to interact with the base playset simultaneously - and I don't count TM's for that because they're all effectively identical looking figures instead of outright giant transformer toys. And the infra-red auto-transformation never returned, since the successive trailers were utter shit and barely even a trailer by definition, respectively.

So that's my idea of a gimmick -resurrecting the idea of Leader class as more than just one single figure, but as a smaller figure with a substantial accessory that transforms to work with the included figure in at least robot and vehicle modes, but is its own separate entity such that said figure can actually use it instead of being it. Back when the great Trailer Wars were going on, both Fansproject and BTS proved there is still a modern role for this kind of play pattern no matter if it was straight G1 update or trying to be more original with implementing the concept.

But Powercore Combiners already had translucent plastic mini-cons, which admittedly have not all held up well over time and play stress if my Caliburst's hairline cracked chest/linkage socket is any indication

The only problem I see with that is over time when whatever makes the plastic change color starts to age and break down if not cared for correctly - we already have the not-exactly-solved issue of plastic yellowing and on a semi-different note, the well-played with vintage Sixshot I got back in 2008 no longer has a working rubsign in that the symbol is visible all the time (whereas my reassembled Duocons have working rubsigns on all four components despite coming from four different robots).

It's a non-electrical soundbox that when activated just says 'gitbags', isn't it?

Arms Micron already did that several times
    [​IMG]

Literally the entire gimmick of mini-con ports on PCC commander torsos.

[​IMG]

Kinda irrelevant to basically Blurr and every single flight-capable Transformer in the franchise, plus if you read the bios on the backs of Titanmaster deluxes and up, the prose for what individual TMs can do is already along the same lines. I.E. Astrotrain's "Darkmoon" gives him invisibility, Kup's "Flintlock" gives him metal-disolving spit (read: He's literally now a Warhammer 40K Space Marine short of the whole 'can read memories of the dead by eating their flesh' thing), Wolfwire's Monoxo lets him freeze time for extremely short periods, Chromedome's "Stylor" gives him Mnemeosurgery mind reading powers, and Blurr's "Hyperfire" gives him even more speed to the point of outright dodging blaster fire.

Doesn't Hardhead already do that by default?

15. Bob Schoonover

Bob Schoonover Poorly-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was thinking about the CW and TR mold re-use a bit. Also something like Generations Warpath (the deluxe one) - the arms do a self-contained transformation, the legs do their own, and the canopy connects them. Seems like that'd be a decent skeleton around which to design a number of different vehicles

• Like Like x 1
  16. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    I second this B-A-F idea...:) ...

Got any pics of the part swappped figures...???...

17. Deject

Deject Banned

I would chop off my left, or right, testicle for this. The only thing that I'm aware of that's even remotely similar is the Warbotron Not-Shockwave and Not-Grimlock, and even those aren't quite like Bandai in quality. That said, the concept of just shipping you the parts on sprues and sending you the screws and whatnot is an idea I really wish would be explored, third party or official.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  18. Xkcer Man

Xkcer Man Autobot

News Credits:
    I'd like to see this if someone could dig up some pictures.

19. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

I really like how leader class figures have evolved from CW-onwards. But that's just my personal taste. I only have a CW/TR leader class collection and in that collection, I really don't care for proper height of figures. I'm perfectly fine with Ultra Magnus, Megatron, Soundwave, etc being all the same height. I really like the aesthetic that the size class has.

I don't like how Armada Superpants Prime worked because he looked like a really ugly brick. If HasTak ever decides to return to that idea, they better not go back to this crazy gross robot + second vehicle = super robot brick. On paper the Prime + Second Vehicle/Second Robot = Super Prime Mode was fun but that went away really quickly when the final design looked brick-ish. That's just my opinion. Legends God Ginrai might be what I'm looking for in regards to this and I'm very excited about that.

I was never familiar with Arms Micron or PCC commander torso. I should have originally stated in my first comment that I recognize my idea is likely not very original, but I think it would be fun if it was a linewide gimmick like Titan Masters currently is.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Cattus Doctus

Cattus Doctus Whiskered Questicon

Takara's Blockmen somewhat fitted that description - Micro Heritage - Takara Blockman Series.