If you could give one of your Transformers to a child.....

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Cal, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Say you want to share your love of Transformers with a child. You want him or her to experience the same fascination of robot vehicles as you do, so you decide to offer one of your prized bots from your collection. Who would be the best choice to initiate a child into the Transformers franchise? Would you be willing to part with one of your favourite figures? Or would you simply offer a throwaway character that you think will fascinate the child anyway?

2. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

This.

Why waste something I like?

3. Molina00

Molina00 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I gave a PRID Bumblebee to my cousin. She already had a Movie Masterpiece Bee but that was it. After I gave her that, some more TF Prime figures popped up on her Christmas list.

I honestly don't think it's a good idea to give one that means a lot to you, at least not right off the bat. There is a good chance said child won't even care about Transformers, then if he doesn't want to give back the toy you are out a favorite figure and it's just another toy to the kid. I say start small, like a PRID Bee and save the good stuff for when you know they will be interested in it.

4. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    My prized bots you say?? fuck no, wouldn't even let them look at it. I don't buy figures I don't like so I got nothing to give to him/her, besides the shrink wrapper or delivery box it came in.

If this was my own child that's a different story, first I'd have to make one though :p 

5. Breakdown96

Breakdown96 ‘Cause I'm Mr. Brightside

No wouldn't have to be something small if that.

6. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator

News Credits:
    Not a chance.

I'd give it Prime Airachnid.

7. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    i think i would just go buy a couple from the prime line instead of giving any of mine and what i have prob would not be good for a small child as masterpieces and third party stuff

8. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Merry Christmas to you too. :sly2: 

Anyway, a couple of Halloween's ago, I offered one of my Transformers to a neighbourhood kid. The wee 'uns were going around trick or treating and my family had already bought some sweets for the occasion. By the time this five-year old boy and his two older sister came around, the sweet basket was almost empty. Since there wasn't enough to go around, I gave the sweets to the girls and told the boy to hold on while I ran upstairs. When I came back down, I plopped Classics Astrotrain (with instructions) in his bag. Since I bought the Henkei version recently, I've been meaning to get rid of the Classics one, but didn't think he'd sell on eBay Ireland. The figure is relatively easy to transform for a newcomer, it has two alt modes, and the white deco will look more attractive to a child than the retro grey version. I hope he enjoys it! :) 

9. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

I'd probably give them my entire Movie lot.

I gave a friend's son a loose copy of Generations Red Alert 2 years ago. He's 7 or 8 now, I believe. When I visited earlier this year, I was amazed to find out that he still had Red Alert in pristine condition. He even had the gun, engine, and instructions. He takes much better care of his toys than I ever did at that age.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  10. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    It will be a Bumblebee. What can I say.

In the past I've given away the free deluxes from Hasbro (for every $25 purchase). All kinds of ROTF and Animated deluxes.

11. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I'd probably give them a bucket full of micromasters/minicons or a bunch of spychangers and whisper (combine these with your lego and your hot wheels tracks) at the kid. Secrets of the universe man, secrets of the universe.

12. Rewire

Rewire Whiskey Grimlock

I have given a few toys away as gifts to kids who I knew were into TFs, and in those cases, I try to give toys of characters that I know interest them, or types of characters or figures that interest them.

I do 'share my toys' with a lot of the local kids in hopes of spreading the TF love, though, in the sense that I let them play with them. I think that's a better way to try to get kids into it than just handing them one and saying 'here, this is yours, love it'. I've found that some are bored by the jets but love the cars, or are really geared up by Beast Era toys when they showed disinterest in the vehicle ones in general, things like that, and it's not always obvious what kind of things each kid will be turned on to. So sharing > blind gift giving in this case.

13. Molina00

Molina00 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Very cool! I bet that was nice surprise for the kid. :) 

14. OCProwl

OCProwl Autobot Dad

News Credits:
    I stocked up on Rescue Bots at $7.99 each on Black Friday, which I plan to give to my daughter when she's a bit older (she's only 7 months now) as an "intro" to TFs. They look fun and simple enough!

When she's a bit older (re: beyond choking hazard territory!) I will give her my Cyberverse collection (mostly TF Prime) because they are fun and easy to transform, and any kids loves having a little army of figures to stage scenes and things with.

After that I imagine it will just depend on her interest and acquired skill and whatever is on the market/TV as she grows up. :)  I can't wait!

15. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I gave away my childhood G1 lot back in 2007 or so. Most of it was incomplete, but the bots still functional and stuff. I kept a few headmasters I really loved, but put the rest in a bin. My neighbors kids at the time were really into TF's through the first movie, they had a few movie toys and such and really loved them. I knew my G1's had survived many battles through my childhood but were just stagnating in a closet for me at the time. So I packed them up and delivered them to the neighbors, so that they could continue their battles :lol 

I loved my G1's but it was so fucking sentimental seeing 2 kids (about my age when I first got them) diving arms deep into that bin. They had that stuff spread across the floor in a matter of minutes and were already having a full scale war :lol 

I lost contact with my neighbor over the years but I hoped the toys somehow made fans of the 2 kids and got them hooked like they did for me all those years ago. The only condition I had is that he kept them for his kids to enjoy, and not sell them. He was a pretty honest/loyal guy so I hope they still have them to pass down again.

16. SG hailstorm

SG hailstorm JaAm aficionado

News Credits:
    i'd give my child whichever one they wanted out of my collection

17. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What if he asked to keep MP-10 all to himself? :rolleyes: 

But is it right to try and raise a girl on Transformers that have an older male fan base? If I had a daughter, I'd buy her lots of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic stuff, because only little girls watch that show.

18. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator

News Credits:
    Oh boy, this 'gon get good.

19. AndHisArmada

AndHisArmada Decepticon Saboteur

Ebay:
    I imagine something like Cyberverse Legion or Bot Shots would be a good starting point.

Certainly not anything too technical as they'd probably just end up getting frustrated and breaking the figure.

20. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    They can have my Live Action Movie collection :p