If we take the Dinobots as a starting point...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Siege Fan, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Siege Fan

Siege Fan Well-Known Member

The WFC threads are already filled with speculation and arguments about the direction for it's third chapter and beyond, quite often around 'is Beast Wars gonna make a comeback?' and right up to 'it's time to get away from G1 for the next trilogy'. But other than a vocal clamour for BW I don't see many suggestions with a good starting point in Hasbro terms.

So how about a ready-made fan favourite in the Dinobots? An instant team, recognition across age groups, and apparently dinosaurs do well with kids. The wider allies and villains can be separated into teams for all sorts of purposes*. And check out the dino types in this link, Hasbro could have a field day just changing colours or slapping horns on a mold it's already been caning:

Dino Directory Name A-Z - Dinosaurs beginning with the letter A | Natural History Museum

By Primus, one of them's even called Albertosaurus. And that's just the A's...

You potentially get a toy line that ticks loads of boxes for Hasbro AND fans, not to mention something that could so easily lead into Beast Wars. Or vice versa.

Thoughts please!

*Even class types.

• Like Like x 3
  2. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland

News Credits:
    In theory it would be awesome but I don't see it selling well after a few waves. I don't think we could even handle the five OG Dinobots at any size over deluxe because they would clog too many spots with very similar looking figures.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:
    I don't quite understand what you mean? And yes, I'd like more Dinobots. It annoys me that the RiD15 Ankylosaur Scowl, never got made.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Oniconvoy

Oniconvoy The other black repaint

News Credits:
    We just got the Dinobots. Prior to that, we had the AoE not-the-Dinobots. I have no interest in seeing Hasbro re-visit either at this time. Mostly because I’d want Voyager and Leader G1 Dinobots, which I’m not convinced they’re willing to do right now.

So just give me Beast Wars.

• Like Like x 5
  5. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Technically we already got that over the years ever since AOE and to an extent PCC. Besides Warden said if I'm right that they won't be touching the Dinobots again for a while at least so if anything it'd make more sense to move on to the Beast Era where that too has plenty of Dinosaur characters to bring in some iconic and some otherwise.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:

Cyberverse might.

• Like Like x 2
  7. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Yeah that's true. Warden said we won't be seeing them touched in Generations again for a while but he didn't say the same for the none G1 lines.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Siege Fan

I'd thought about that a bit, if Hasbro were willing to mostly stick to deluxes is there any reason they couldn't have Micromaster-style packs of smaller dinos and voyagers for, you know, 'mega T-rex'? It maybe depends on just how useful the class system currently is to Hasbro and if they'd change it. All I ever see is insane money being requested and product sitting on shelves. Some of the smaller items seem to exist purely to get you to buy the bigger stuff.

Personally I'd introduce BW characters throughout to keep it fresh and give that spin-off potential again.

I hate to say it, but that kinda falls under 'More Bumblebee!?' in Hasbro's terms. They wouldn't care if it potentially had legs. You and me aren't the real market but would have a look and do their advertising for free one way or another anyway.

9. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think it may be worth looking at releasing the core 5 outside of the retail assortment, akin to Takara Selects, or bundling a group as a Titan class release.

Not part of WFC although IN SCALE with WFC and capable of seating Titan Masters in Diaclone Driver seats. Maybe alongside 1.25” G1 humans.

You could probably do Grimlock in a Commander slot and then the others as a Titan style release, all with TONS of accessories to fill out the price point packaging or do the others as “Fan Channel” online releases.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Wh33l JcK

Wh33l JcK Well-Known Member

I still think a Titan Class set is best bet...
    • First off the current scale is smaller so even if they are large old school voyagers that would be big enough.
    • If they aren't combiners you can make the molds look better on their own.
    • You are using all the same basic plastic colors and paint apps to cut down on cost. Maybe that gives them the ability to throw in some chrome?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  11. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You can also “size trade” in a boxed set by making Swoop a smaller non-standard size between Deluxe and Voyager to make Sludge bigger. The non-standard sizes seem easier to me to address by giving the whole group a budget. Grimlock, for example, is big but doesn’t require a huge parts count even with hinged fingers and ankle tilts added because even the MP had a simple transformation — whereas Slug/Slag clearly takes more parts to work convincingly in both modes.

So I think having parts count and size budgeted for the group lets the designers put the attention where it’s needed.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    So: "people aren't coming up with ideas for a new trilogy. How about we build an entire trilogy around the Dinobots?"

13. Siege Fan

As implied, the Dinobots are only the jumping off point. That's why I mentioned allies, villains, classes, and introducing Beast Wars through it, or even starting with Beast Wars and leading into the dino idea. Also, I never said trilogy for this specifically.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    Oh. Okay.
    I can see the Dinobots and Deluxe Insecticons for instance fitting into Beasts Wars line.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Wh33l JcK

Wh33l JcK Well-Known Member

I do feel it is a missed opportunity if they don't work in Beast Wars into this Trilogy.

• Like Like x 1