If Victorion was male would you like it more

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by DocSeth81, Jan 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ragnar

Ragnar Fun with G1

Ebay:
    I did not vote and I will not buy. Don't like the Victorion color or the team's theme a whole lot. If my TF's are supposed to be girly, I prefer them more curvy and less blocky. My 7-year-old daughter would agree too.

Saving my TF budget for the Bruticus and Computron sets. Once those hit I will have 5 G1 CW combiners, and that's enough for me.

2. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives

Exactly, fictional gender matters little to me, horrendous eyesore on the other hand is an automatic deal breaker.

Maybe leaving the fate of the "first all female combiner" in the hands of random votes wasn't the soundest of strategies.

If you wanted a "fembot" line up, assuming you want a more "feminine" frame on the bots, it should have been:
    A Silverbolt remold for the torso
    ONE Alpha Bravo
    a Dragstrip
    a Fireflight
    And because every team needs a bruiser a Rook remold.
    And I guess because it fits, a Powerglide for the legend.

The color scheme was a good idea, but the maroon needs to be a few degrees to the red on the color wheel, the turquoise a bit more aqua. Another case of Hasbro having a great idea, but falling shy in the implementation.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  3. Wh33l JcK

Wh33l JcK Well-Known Member

Before we saw anything I pictured all new molds, that looked very feminine, like the Arcee mold. I also pictured more shades of earthy orange/red than blue to play up the sea of rust concept. Something similar to a Junkion I guess.

What we got were repaints, that don't necessarily look female, and are way too vibrant for the earthy Sea of Rust origin.

The double vehicle arms and legs are disappointing as well. The vote may have gone that way, but seems like they went cheap.

Maybe should have voted for all four limbs at once that way more variety might have resulted???

4. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Gnodab Kidult (He/Him)

News Credits:
    Agree on voting. Choosing four molds at once would've avoided dupes. But at the same time the poll on its face meant we built its exact config.

5. Tresob

Tresob Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No. If Victorion were cheaper, I would like it more.

6. ma70er

ma70er HasTak/3P TF Collector, Gamer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    No. Prefer Victorion as she is presented in fiction.

Would have liked to have MP Tracks/MP Road Rage levels of fembot retooling though. As it is, still not buying.

7. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, even my daughters feel the same too. Both didn't find the original Minerva figure to be 'girlish' enough as compared to Arcee.

But to be fair to Hasbro, its a toyline for...boys, we're not even the targeted demographic too.

8. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I believe the fan poll was partially rigged to lead the votes a certain way. I care less about the gender then the garish deco and double use of helicopters. Even more offensive is the apparent disconnect between Hasbro and Takara where we can't even get slightly different molds of the chopters.

9. Raiyuki

Raiyuki Low Class Seeker

The gender's irrelevant. RID Strongarm's figure looks more appealing and we know it's female despite being bulky. Victorion's just got an awful deco and it's a sack of retools. I might end up getting it though so far the look just doesn't appeal. The new combiner feet also look ugly to me. If they at least transform maybe I'll hate them less.

10. MpCollector81

MpCollector81 Banned

That this is female? Ha ha. Riiiiiiiiight. Maybe in the eyes of crazy feminists that think Arcee's hourglass figure is sexist- this would then be an acceptable female robot.

The terrible color scheme and reused molds is what kept me from it-Victorion is just a lazy creation/cash grab. As others have stated it just looks garish and not appealing.

11. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Transformers aren't born male or female. Its all about how a Transformer identifies themselves. Gender labels are what humans apply to them based on the human concept of gender. If they sound and act male, they get labelled male. If they sound and act female, they get labelled female. There are zero physical differences that determine whether they're male or female, i.e. reproduction parts. But some females obviously resemble human females more so than others. I wouldn't want a repaint of TM2 or BM Blackarachnia as a male character.

12. MpCollector81

MpCollector81 Banned

Normally after reading a post like this I would just chuckle and move on- but I have to ask....

If as you stated Victorion is 'awful' 'doesn't appeal' 'has ugly feet' and you have a certain level of hate for it- why would you consider buying it?

What exactly compels you to express such negativity about something- but then consider $200 to own it? When you see a girl walking down the street, do you apply the same logic? She's ugly, I hate her, I don't like her feet- but I guess I'd date her if she was available to me.

Equating your feelings about living humans to plastic robots is purely anecdotal to illustrate my confusion. Do you just express negativity for some level validation? Or are you just compelled to buy things you highly dislike?

If there was ever an example of 'those forum posters' that contradict themselves within their own posts and seem to just complain and rant over nothing- yours is the metric by which all others should be measured.

13. MpCollector81

MpCollector81 Banned

Or- Transformers aren't born male or female- they are fictional characters created by people. Some of them are drawn as big strong hulking males- to appeal to boys- and some of them are drawn as softer feminine types to appeal to girls- introduced into the franchise to diversify the roster and move along a particular story.

As known 'female' TF clearly follow a particular exaggerated design aesthetic that is anatomically recognizable as a 'human female' any deviation from this seems unusual and out of sorts. Victorion is an example of this- introduced as female but poorly designed. She just sticks out.

People who are invested into the stories of TF probably take robot gender quite seriously- purely from a story telling aspect. However there are also fans that sexualize characters like Arcee (and every female character) and equate to pin-up girls in erotic fantasy. There's enough evidence of that on the Internet. Google it. You've heard of Laura Croft right?

So would that make your ideal combiner a FTM Transbot? Would you have any interest in 5 well-designed concept cars with smooth, curvy contours who are male, that when combined into their gestalt mode and their consciousnesses merge- identify as female? His name could be Transistor Delta.

Also this is a toy forum- EVERYTHING IS SERIOUS.

14. Deonasis

Deonasis Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It doesn't bother me what 'sex' they are or who they fancy. We are all robots.

15. Raiyuki

Raiyuki Low Class Seeker

It's not gonna be $200 first of all. If it was then I wouldn't even consider it.
    There's also difference between not liking something and hating it. I hate the FP add on for ROTF Bruticus. Hence I'll have nothing to do with it and won't even consider getting it.
    As for why would I consider getting it, there are a few reasons.
    1. It's a combiner and I do like combiners. The more the merrier.
    2. I do appreciate the effort they put into retooling it. I still say it's a sack of retools yes. But I do feel like the tooling itself isn't bad. I just don't feel the colors allow those new details to stand out as nicely as they could.
    3. Most important one, and it's in the original comment I typed.
    I might end up getting it though so far the look just doesn't appeal. I don't like it right now. So far from the pictures I've seen it doesn't look that great to me. The artwork looks badass but that's about it. However new pics will surface and I might change my mind. I'm not passing final judgement or firmly intent on not liking it no matter what. Currently I don't find it appealing. But once we see more of it I might change my mind. I don't see anything contradictory about that.
    The way you apply that logic to a girl down the street is just as odd. First looks aren't everything. Are there girl's who attract one's attention from the first look? Definitely. But perceptions aren't always constant. I've found the way I see the same person change often enough even if they themselves don't look any different, sometimes within a matter of minutes, sometimes within a matter of days.
    In the end all I did was type three short lines on how how I feel about the figure; hardly a rant.

16. ron8675309

ron8675309 Exploding Salamander Of Exploding Salamanders

The only thing I really don't like about Victorion is that they're not all different molds.

17. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Gnodab Kidult (He/Him)

News Credits:
    ...Hasbro and Takara worked together to design Victorion.

---------------

This is a garbage comment. Though I'm amused by the irony of you picking Arcee as your example of what is feminine given her backstory in IDW.

Refusing to accept Victorion as female because of the body types of the characters is simply wrong. Windblade, Strongarm, Arcee, the Torchbearers...all female robots. It doesn't matter if it's not a "sexy robot" just like it doesn't matter if it's a "macho" robot to be considered male.

It's no different than how we've got male robots ranging in body types from movie Jetfire or Hound and Prime/Animated Bulkhead to types like Animated Sentinel Prime or Knock Out.

Hell, look at First Edition (or Prime in general) Starscream. A mold that was easily both the male Starscream and the female Slipstream.

And the idea that we can't have female Transformers because Cybertronians are genderless is just as funny. Because even if in-universe there is no gender they're still coded male or female because we as humans aren't able to grasp a truly genderless species because it's not the world we live in.

This very idea is something the IDW universe has been dealing with for a while now. Starting with the introduction of Arcee and leading into the discovery of characters such as Windblade and Victorion. The characters themselves are dealing with the notion of gender in their world because it's something the fandom is struggling with as well.

Not every woman has a supermodel body, and neither does every female Cybertronian.

Grow up and get over it.

18. Sixshot666666

Sixshot666666 Ninja Consultant

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My only complaint bedsides lack of all new molds, while understandable is still a little disappointing, is the colors. I've grown used to it now, but man does she need a better color scheme.

19. scrapmetaru

scrapmetaru Well-Known Member

This entire thread could be accurately renamed "Shitposting For Five Hours".
    And no, I would not.

20. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    glad to see people saying they don't look like females are a minority. more femmes is always a good thing, just hate the color scheme

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.