If Victorion was male would you like it more

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by DocSeth81, Jan 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheAmazingBrave

TheAmazingBrave 吾輩は猫である!!!

I am OK with the colors, mainly because bright red and teal are complimentary when viewed on a computer screen. Don't know how it'll look in-person, but I doubt it would be an eye-sore.

2. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Gender, in that the bots are male-framed with feminine-looking heads, is off-putting to me.

And the colors are garish. I'm hoping they look better in person but I'm thinking that is unlikely.

3. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Oh please.

We were presented with a choice between 3 color schemes. They all implied a particular set ratio of roughly 60% - 20% - 20 %.

So the vote resulted to the color map of 60% teal - 20% red - 20% white.

Fast forward to the product reveal, and WHITE isn't even in the freaking product. Apparently, they decided to interpret it as silver detailing, sparsely distributed here and there....... amongst the huge SEA of checkerboard chaos of red and teal.

Instead of coming up with a distinguished and classy color distribution/layout, which teal, red and white could have been.... it's now just a 3-dimensional red/teal checkerboard ; a color concept which started out decent, but wound up half-assed.

You can't say that's voters' fault.

See my suggested revision pics a few pages back, proving a better interpretation of teal, red and white can be done.

4. Onslaught24

Onslaught24 GATTAI Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Nobody complains abput them because they have better color distribution and aren't incredibly neon. People think G2 was eye-stingingly neon as Victorion is because the color palette was out of the ordinary compared to G1. There's a difference between odd and poorly distributed.

5. TheGrognard

TheGrognard Well-Known Member

The mock-ups we saw earlier were painted prototypes and those always look awful. Motormaster looked awful at that point, too, and that's a hard scheme to mess up (grey/black?).

I am withholding judgement until I see the final product. Not to say Hasbro still can't screw the pooch (I'm looking at you, Scattorshot).

6. MixtapeSuperion

MixtapeSuperion Made of Kibble

G2, with the help of the obscure end of Action Masters, codified the term neon, and you cannot tell me with a straight face that G2 Menasor doesn't look worse than Victorion's current palette when they seemed to be specifically aiming to use as many colors as possible with no actual care being taken as to how it'd look put together due to the G2 combiners, to my knowledge, being individually carded (And if they weren't that makes it even more ridiculous) The only combiner with any solidity was Bruticus, and that's only because they all had purple camouflage to tell you they went together

A different level of ugly does not excuse it from being a definite level of ugly.

7. Acadia

Acadia gone

Gender doesn't matter in my opinion.

8. optimusmegas

optimusmegas Target-Power-Titan-Prime-Battle-Master

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    haven't we yet to see official in hand pics yet? things can be different....aside from that it's STILL mostly teal and red....what part of that combination sounds good to begin with? we voted a shitty color scheme and we got a shitty color scheme...how this looks should surprise no one.

a better layout might look better for it but the colors that we have an issue with won't change no matter what you do...teal and red will pretty much always look like this

9. optimusmegas

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    no i can't get on board with anyone saying G2 combiners have good color distribution. they all look like someone ate a pound of mixed jellybeans and threw up on G1 toys.....a babyblue body with a matching arm then a black arm, yellow leg, and red leg is not distribution. it's throwing a dart at a color and running with it.

superion at least attempts to looks somewhat uniform until one glaring GOLD arm appears out of nowhere.

10. einhazard

einhazard Sentient Tapedeck

News Credits:
    Ditto. Colors are meh and I really don't want any more dang helicopters, but I want to make sure that Hasbro understands I support the idea even if the execution is not awesome.

11. knoted

News Credits:
    Nope, not necessarily: http://i.imgur.com/9yco34o.jpg

Any 3 way color scheme can be executed in a more classy manner if one gives it a proper effort.

12. AnonymousDwell

AnonymousDwell Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Honestly I don't like that revised paint scheme anymore than the official images personally - though I definitely appreciate the attention and effort that went into creating it. But I still like the combined mode enough to get this.

13. knoted

News Credits:
    Take a look at the official two helicopter bots.
    They are pretty much the exact same toy, same saturated checker board color layout , mirrored.

You'd willingly spend your money on something like that, rather than on a revised product which actually put some effort into it to distinguish each limbot with a bit of individuality ?
    On top of that, the revision would be cheaper to produce since it uses less paint. Any exec. would favor that option.

14. Onslaught24

Onslaught24 GATTAI Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Ugly is quite a subjective term, wouldn't you think? And I kinda did tell you G2 Menasor's color palette looks better than Victorion's; but again, all subjective. What isn't subjective though is that the Stunticons all have balanced distribution regardless of their varying color schemes. Yes Menasor's colors are a bit garish compared to other toys, but he pulls it off. Motormaster has a nice mix of red and black to help break up the purple and blue, the latter pair belonging to a color equation that also includes red. Not to mention the fact that purple and blue don't pop as much as bright red and teal. Dragstrip is mostly black with some blue and a yellow combiner port to offset the darker colors. Wildrider is the opposite in that he has black (and silver) to help offset the yellow which is naturally a bright, but not neon, color. Breakdown is teal and purple but has silver and the darkness of purple to offset the teal. Finally, Dead End has blue and black to counter his bright red. On the other hand, the Torchbearers are just teal and red all over the place. In any kind of design field, color balance is imperative. Also keep in mind, the G2 sets were designed nearly 20 years ago, so naturally toy design and Hasbro's designers have changed drastically since then.

As explained above, the individual members have balanced color distribution, and a few common colors throughout the team. And with this argument you're making, one could say the current Menasor or even Bruticus could be considered to have poor color distribution. But you don't see people complaining about those two, do you? Why? Cause they're muted. Even the sports cars aren't as flashy as a team that's coming out of the Sea of Rust.

15. optimusmegas

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    but then you're going against the color ratio....and you're making two of the components black...or black and dark grey. either way you're not following the ratio the vote set out. of course adding whatever other color you want and changing the overall usage is going to make it look better.

the color pallet was for the combined mode...this was to be an autobot color scheme like the constructicons so each bot was going to relatively look the same when in single modes and have the consistent color pattern combined.

yours aren't and won't do that.

as i said we got what we voted for. it's really that simple. aside from drastic repaints, like your digibashes, this thing is always going to look like an eyesore because we wanted teal and red. i think if we got a blue and gold thing going on here we wouldn't overusing be the hilariously popular description of 'garish' to describe her.

16. AnonymousDwell

AnonymousDwell Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't like either one honestly, from a purely color stand point. I like the combined mode enough to buy it as is though. If there's a revised version and I end up liking it more, sure, but I have yet to see that on the horizon so I can only go with what's already announced for the moment obviously.

I like the combined mode. I want it. So I will buy it. If something I like more is announced before then, I'll buy that. Simple as that. But your revision, while as I said I greatly appreciate the effort that went into it and am grateful to your intent in doing so, doesn't make me like it "more" than the official deco personally. Just subjective taste. Sorry.

As for what I'd spend my money on... *points to signature* And what an exec would prefer doesn't enter into that personal purchasing decision for me.

17. optimusmegas

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    and that choice to mute the colors makes all the difference. the 90s were a mess of eyebleeding neo and G2 suffered hardcore for it. yea the stunticons are a mishmash of colors. but the white and dark grey match up with motormaster well along with the maroon and yellow to break it up. but muted is the key..giant neon makes it a mess and harder to tolerate. on the superion side of things he has a uniform scheme going on. it's alot of whites and shades of blue. it's not as bad but still bright...then BAM here comes a gold limb....why? cuz G2. cuz 90s.

the muted colors of G1 menasor is visually appealing which is the other side of the coin. it's not an even color distribution yea but it's not giving me a headache trying to process bright purple, teal, black, yellow, bright red, and whatever the hell else makes up G2 uglyness

18. knoted

News Credits:
    They violated the color ratio themselves already. They totally left out white.

Black, wasn't even suggested/implied in the color scheme choices in the first place. And yet... suddenly we see it's there.

besides..... it's cheaper to add in a few gray scale/black/white plastic variations, rather than lots of red and teal paint to forcibly cover a lot of surface.

Nope : it was never indicated like that.
    Approaching it the same way as the constructicons was mistake #1 ; because it only works for them, because they are unified by nature of altmodes ; they're all construction vehicles. Those tend feature unified color schemes.

Torch bearer limb bots' altmodes do not feature such a unified nature from the getgo.

Nope, if they would use the same approach for blue and gold, it would result into garish blue and gold.

It really comes down to proportionate use, color distribution and proper color blocking. If you analyze the current layout and my digibash, you will be abe to see, the current layout is using more paint, is more difficult to produce and more prone to paint chipping.

19. optimusmegas

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ok well that's on them...but violating it even more for the sake of digibashing doesn't really prove your point that using the same colors in a different layout makes it look better. you gotta do that with the colors and ratio provided to make your point

i dont' see much black on victiorion to begin with aside from the ladder assembly that lays on the chest and tires the only big amount of black is on rust dust.

would you rather rust dust switch the black bits for white? that wouldn't look much better...

we we voting for combined color scheme. that's why we never got a vote for each individual one. we got an "as a whole" option. wasn't too hard to figure what that was going to mean in the end.

constructicon alt modes keep them as a group but the torchbearers here are an honor guard. one of many elite units that serve the mistress of flame directly. that kinda calls for a uniform color scheme especially since in the fiction they didn't combine until they came in contact with the relic. it pretty much makes sense for them to share a similar color pallet based on their position in fiction.

20. Probe

Probe Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The twin concept, compounded by the mirrored remolding and visible almost only in robot mold so they can be symetrical as limbs are one of my favorite parts of the toy. It's a neat concept done alright in the official release, at least to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.