If they was to attempt to gain transformers a larger female fan-base, how could they?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by gregles, Sep 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hound89

Hound89 Well-Known Member

Of course, But despite how much love, the cartoons, movies and comics get, the Toys are still the bottom line. I think its important to know the Demographics there. I can only think of one female Transformers toy reviewer on youtube off the top of my head

2. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator

News Credits:
    I did look at the study, very closely and oddly enough it was using the same numbers as the comics...right down to women in the 60+ category... sure they may have purchased a toy...for their grandchild.
    So the 'survey' is bunk... don't believe it for a minute.

You're too keen on keeping it going and demonstrating your outrage over a perceived bias that when I said do something about it...you ignored that part... you stated they're doing better, they're trying to change.

Then there's nothing to be outraged about, nothing to debate (wasn't in my opinion to begin with)....so...nothing else to post about.
    If I choose to leave it at that... you should respect my choice and drop it.

So let's do the wise thing and stop ....for tonight anyway.

3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    In all honestly, I don't know if it WOULD help, given that exceptionally developed characters are the exception in the franchise, not the rule, and once gender issues in characterization get thrown into the mix, things can get very complicated. It's an unfortunate truth that Hasbro is almost certainly going to take a "safe" path when it comes to characters. I think it would honestly be better for the cybertronians to have more, better developed HUMAN female friends than for there to be more, better fembots.

Hell, Fembots themselves are something of an issue, given they've sort of fallen into their own stereotype of appearance (with bots like Strika and Armada Ironhide being the outliers), and I'd be worried that simply adding more to the mix would reinforce those stereotypes, instead of moving away from them.

Again, I am not certain that simply adding more female characters is a solution to the issue, at least not at this point. I don't think it's a bad idea in general, but until there's a good chance those characters are going to be... well... better than what we've seen in the last couple years, I see it doing more harm than good. The comics have been able to open up some new doors in very recent times in this regard, so maybe that's a sign of an effective and sustainable path forward for the rest of the brand.

Also, as for the poll, I really would stop pointing to it as effective evidence, there's a lot of potential for bias and error in a poll like that on facebook. it's an interesting incident, not a tautology for the fandom.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  4. Hound89

Hound89 Well-Known Member

Wait What!?

5. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Yeah, didn't you know? He identified as female!

No, but seriously, that's a typo and should read ARMADA Ironhide. I've corrected it.

6. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Get Lauren Faust to develop the new show. She's done action shows before.

On the marketing end, have Hasbro start licensing out tf merchandise like girls apparel & stuff. If they're not into the toys, I'm sure there are other things they would buy.

And there you go. :) 

7. Challenger

Challenger Loves Bumblebee

News Credits:
    I'd love it if they would make more Transformers shirts for women. The only ones I've ever found are ones of the G1 characters, and while they're not bad, I'd like to have some with the movie characters and some of the other shows.

8. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

OMG! Someone who actually understands the the OP's question.

FembotFanGirl- Your delusions amaze me. Transformers is soooooo obviously a boys brand. Catering to what boys would want is the only logical action. To think anything other than that is showing how out of step you are with reality.

Your evidence-

A facebook survey
    Hasbro changing some wording for a convention

My evidence-

It's about war
    toys sold in the action figure isle
    little to no female characters ever being made as toys/ and when they do they sell poorly
    the large disperity in numbers between male and female fans

and the best one of all...
    You complaining about hasbro 'pandering' to boys only

I mean, you are so absultly in the wrong this isn't even a conversation. It's common sense. It's akin to looking at a fire hidrant and saying, oh what a cute kitty.

Want to know what marketing to girls via a boys brand looks like? Look no further than Masters of the Universe's spin-off She-ra Princess of Power. That's the difference between marketing to boys and girls, using the same basic concepts.

*and for the record* -the reason we get any female toys at all is because of the adult male fans who are asking for them. So on behalf of all us male fans, you're welcome.

9. NotRamjet97

NotRamjet97 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I doubt she'd come back to Hasbro after the whole Equestria Girls thing.

10. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax You know what happens to Messiahs, don't you?

News Credits:
    Can you elaborate on this?

11. solusprime19

solusprime19 Disney, Dat knee

This

This
    And this.

why are you relying on Facebook for numbers? Most polls there are answered by biased people, and others don't even care. Bring us an actual poll orientated website, or even an in-person Bot-con survey, and then we'll talk.

@Moreprimeland, I fully agree with what you saying. if you really want change, go to them. don't ask the people, which to Hasbro, we're all just pawns for them to steal money from. You have to solve the problem from the source.

Oh wait, FembotFanGirl, this survey was for comics? I didn't even look at it, because, again, Facebook isn't good for honest surveys.

But.... Honestly, you're kinda right. The comics gave fembots a very.... questionable origin, which made it seem like a 3 step fix the get fangirls....... but they've improved since then, gave them a more defined origin (Windblade), and gave them more character.

Now, again. If Arcee was the first Fembot to exist, then is she older than Solus prime? how is Solus a prime, then, is Arcee was the first?

12. MasterZero

MasterZero Taking a Break

As far as I know, the 'backlash' here is just that Lauren Faust is not a fan of the toys that the Equestria Girls thing produced. She's not a fan of the whole, skinny girl thing and I think she just didn't like them cause they weren't fun.

Her actual opinion on the movie though, I cannot say.

13. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax You know what happens to Messiahs, don't you?

News Credits:
    Ah okay. Did that cause a falling out with Hasbro or something?

14. gregles

gregles quintesson

Just had a thought at what could help if we take a look at the franchises that seem to recently attract huge young female fan base's and yet have huge typically boy influences like action, horror, fantasy and science fiction, you guessed it I'm talking about hunger games and twilight. Though the latter is pretty terrible they have demonstrated just how much of a pull a popular strong female lead can be to a female audience. Maybe we need a strong charismatic female lead human character in a movie?

15. solusprime19

solusprime19 Disney, Dat knee

like Arcee? as long as she's not an experiment to get gender, I'm up for it.

16. MasterZero

MasterZero Taking a Break

I don't think so. At that point, Lauren wasn't really attached to the show at that point.

She said she doesn't like the dolls, and that if Hasbro had asked her to make the spin off, she would have refused, even quit her job. As far as I know though, Hasbro doesn't seem outraged or upset at what she said, and she's still friends with the workers who are still working on the show.

But that's just what I hear and read about.

Edit: I asked my girlfriend. She replied back with "More giant robot beating up giant robot."

17. 9.8m/s^2

9.8m/s^2 What's in a name?

Did my whole post yesterday just vanish into the ether? Or am I completely incoherent in it?

18. gregles

gregles quintesson

Sorry if I missed your post and you had already made this point it's just this thread is becoming quite sprawling and picking out the relevant points from the arguments isn't that easy.

I do think we need a transformers movie where the lead character playing the viewers window into the transformers world isn't male and the girls aren't just reflections on the men's ego 'girlfriend' roles or present as vulnerable things to be rescued by some muscle bound vest wearing meat-head.

19. Audacia

Audacia Cybertronian Witch

You have society to thank for that. Most boys are taught at a young age that having a girl character is not masculine enough, or the character is so one dimensional that nobody cares anyways. I think to actually sell a product (stemmed from a show or movie anyway) all of the characters should be written well and have personality. Making all female characters the same gets boring and no one can relate to them. I like certain characters because of the personality traits they hold, and if they all seem the same then why should we care?

Isn't this a contradiction? If the female character sells poorly, how do we have males to thank for this? If male fans are responsible for getting a female character out on the market, then how come they are not selling more?

20. MaxxieOD

MaxxieOD Jazz is my homebot

News Credits:
    I guess I'm one of those odd girls who doesn't really care at this point whether a character is female or not. There's currently none that I like (tho I have a feeling I'd like Nautica if I was caught up on the comics), and that doesn't really bother me much. My biggest complaints really is how females are handled. Why does being female have to be such a big deal? It should just be another normal part of the show as transforming into a car.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.