If they was to attempt to gain transformers a larger female fan-base, how could they?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by gregles, Sep 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. femmebotfangirl

femmebotfangirl Banned

And in spite of going after boys for 30 years it still has a large and devoted female fanbase. Transformers doesn't need to CHANGE exactly, it just needs to be more inclusive. More female characters, more female toys, more character development, but still lots of explosions and violence and big metal robots smacking up other big metal robots sometimes with smaller metal robots because girls love that shit.
    I really do think MTMTE is the clear example of what needs to be done, just with more fembots in the mix.

Transformers already is for young girls, the only reason why more young TFPrime or Rescue Bots fans don't transition to being full collector-fans is because it very rapidly becomes a boys only club, you go from having Arcee (and Miko) amongst a half dozen guys to having Arcee (and now the other three) amongst hundreds of guys, and no toys in stores, no sign at all that girls are supposed to like this stuff. But they do anyway, they just don't buy as much as they otherwise would or get involved as deeply.

2. EnergonWaffles

EnergonWaffles Autobot's Head Chef Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    More Knock Out?

On a serious note- fembots were never a draw for me. For the girlfriends I have who enjoy this kind of stuff, a draw would be putting more effort into making the relationships between the Transformers the focus instead of the war (which has been done already in some TF media).

Course, everybody is different. There's no one answer fits all here.

3. NotRamjet97

NotRamjet97 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have a sister who loves TFs as much as I do, maybe more. I also happen to know she cares diddly squat for toys. The few she has are of her most very favorite characters. I've never heard her even complain about the lack of female characters, she seems to prefer the male ones.

4. Vanessa

Vanessa G1 Bonecrusher's #1 fangirl

Cool, someone who thinks about Shockwave as I do :) 
    An all female combiner team should be part of Hasbro's year of the combiners, for sure.
    As long as they had awesome yet powerful alt-modes, and not lame-ass alt modes of course. See your point about asking female fans for their views and not trying to second-guess us.

Thanks both for your kind comments about my sig pic. It was actually created for me by an awesome fellow board-member, and then re-sized to fit the sig guidelines by another kind person, for me.
    There is a story behind it, but yes, it's for fun and to make folks smile (I hope).

I'm in the "like" camp for Windblade. Sure her toy has some faults (what toy doesn't?), but still I'm stoked to have a Windblade toy at all.
    I'm not into comics at all, so I totally didn't get the pack-in comic that came with her, but I've been told to wait for the Windblade trade paperback, so I might break my no-comics rule and get one to read.
    I think we need a Nautica toy next, then I can put Windblade with Chromia and Nautica, and pose them with Generations Metroplex.

5. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

Yes, there are female fans. That's great.

But, the question was how can Transformers gain a large female fan-base. Transformers as is, isn't going to attract any more fans than it already has, or all ready does.

Transformers isn't aimed at girls, any more than MLP is aimed at boys. Is there overlap? Yes there is. There are a number of boys interesting MLP and a number of girls into Transformers. But it's the primary focus that brings the large numbers a complany is looking for. If Hasbro wanted to get large numbers of girls into Transformers (or something like Transformers)...... it would have to be fundimetnally changed.

What you're suggesting is only making the current female fan base a little more happy, not greatly expanding it.

6. Hound89

Hound89 Well-Known Member

I'm still waiting on a Voyager Class Elita-one, I don't care what she turns into just some one hook me the fuck up

7. femmebotfangirl

femmebotfangirl Banned

More fembots and female characters in the tv shows and films will help get in new fans. Making the existing female fanbase shows you are doing something right which means more girls will get attracted to the fandom. They already have a large female fanbase, a lot of the problem is recognising it, supporting them and making the male fanbase recognise it more too instead of some elements fighting everything female.
    My whole point is you don't NEED to aim things at boys or girls anymore, that kind of thinking is deeply flawed and sexist. MLP is popular with boys because it is good, and they really try and make boys comfortable. Transformers is popular with girls because it is good, and Hasbro are starting to do more to try and make female fans welcome and comfortable.

8. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

I'm sorry, but that's very nieve. To think that a brand aimed at boys or girls attracts both equally is far from reality. That's about as blind as someone thinking raceism doesn't exist any more because things have gotten a little better.

It's all about the target audiance. The majority, not the minority. The minority is a nice bonus for any brand aimed at boys or girls. But, that's all it is; a bonus.

9. Basilisk

Basilisk It will give you infinite pleasure!

So basically my plan is we make more Thunderblast and Nautica because Aquatic Fembots are awesome.

@Solus I think I can live with the "She's a man in Japan" but I absolutely hate rubbish like making Arcee an "Experiment to introduce gender" and thus making her literally the only fembot, thankfully this has been undone but ugh still annoys me writers feel the need to explain fembots all to only end up with one token fembot.

10. Hound89

Ehh it hasn't been "undone"

11. femmebotfangirl

femmebotfangirl Banned

It's not naive, because it is demonstrably true in both Transformer and MLP fandoms. The idea that boys and girls like different things, rather than people liking different things, is the problem here. Some boys would love to play with Barbie if they could, some girls want superheroes and Transformers. Some boys and girls want both.

12. gregles

gregles quintesson

Fundamentally changed? How? What would have to change and what could remain? Different packaging? Different marketing? Different stories? Different characters? Different style? Etc

I think if we made the transformers in story equal parts portrayed as girls and boys and make it not a big deal like in animated and mix in the great quality writing of mtmte then it could have incredible cross over value. I don't think the action, science fiction or that it's primary coloured necessarily means it has to be just a boys thing as I remember loads of girls I went to school with loved thundercats, teenage mutant ninja turtles , power puff girls and some 90s super hero cartoons like batman, xmen and Spider-Man.

13. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Force Chip Ignition! Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think if Hasbro just tries to make a good product (toys, TV and otherwise) they'll find fans. I'm afraid if they try to skew more towards the female demographic it might look like they're pandering and have the possibility of blowing up in their face. Transformers seems to be doing a decent job of entertaining a pretty wide demographic so far. Speaking as a guy who is a hopeless Disney Princess fan, people will flock stuff they like whether it's being marketed to them or not.

14. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

It's the 'some' part you are not getting. 'Some' is the minority.

And if you go back to my first post.... I covered those three types (talking about girls only of course).

Girls who already like transformers (or any other boy brand).... don't need even one female character to be interested. It's just something they like for what it is. That's great.... I love that. But, it's not even close to the number that the brand is aimed at.

A transformers series actually aimed at girls, would greatly out number the number of girls interested in TFs as they are now. That is if it is even possible.

15. Hound89

^ How bout a Fembot with a MLP altmode

16. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

Yes... all of that. Look at what's aimed at girls, what the majority gravite to, and market to them. Picture what Transformers would look like in the toy isle next to Mosters High (whatever it's called) or MLP. The change would be drastic.

17. KaguyaHouraisan

KaguyaHouraisan TORANS-FORMAAAA!

Yo,I think there is no universal answer to this,since each fan have their own reasons to like the franchise.,regardless of gender. Most of the transformers fans i've met on my country have been female. They seem to enjoy the things any other TF fan would. That's all i have to say. (I really dislike overhelmingly gender-related debates)

18. Hoffman

Hoffman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The problem is not with the product. TF Prime, which was the most current "advertisement", had strong female characters. There was a very good balance.

The problem, rather, is parenting and society as a whole. There is still a disturbing concept of "girls toys" and "boys toys". We have never subscribed to this theory with our daughter, but all of a sudden she started saying things were "for girls" or "for boys". We're not entirely sure where it came from, but it was obviously from external societal influences; we think daycare. Which means the other parents were teaching their kids these opinions, whether directly or indirectly.

The fact that you go to stores and everything is still divided by boys and girls toys does not help. I was at a party supply store for my daughters birthday, and the aisles were actually LABELED "boys party themes" and "girls party themes". It almost made me feel like I was doing something wrong by getting Despicable Me party supplies that were arbitrarily sorted into the "boys" section (despite being a movie with 3 young female protagonists). Basically, if the color palette isn't pink or purple, it seems to be deemed a boys property. Which leads into a whole other issue of colour palletes.

Which takes me back to how I started my post...I like that Arcee was a rich "boy" blue, with just pink hilights. Miko was also not adhere to traditional female stereotypes.

19. gregles

gregles quintesson

Ok drastic changes aesthetically if it was meant to be aimed at girls in the same way monsters high or my little ponny was /is but couldn't transformers potentially move to something inclusive of both boys and girls in the same way Lego does? If it just has the odd little change here and there (with one of those changes almost certainly involving mr bay)

20. Hound89

Id Argue that Plucky Tomboy is a pretty traditional stereotype in this day and age.

Especially when adding in the fact she's Japanese.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.